Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I looked into how to do this for nearly a week and posted the question of how to in the Communication forum here: Moving Opera Mini and Java to SD Card Well no definative answers resulted from the inquiry so I played with it myself and figured out how to do it. I recently installed Java and Opera Hi-Res mini but like many people wanted the ability to run from the card since I don't NEED Java 24/7. As many people know the files are locked from just about everything since they are resource DB's. Zlauncher wont move them to the SD card and Filez won't 'move' them (emphasis on move here since it places a small roll later). Trying to remove the resource DB status using Filez results in the Treo resetting upon saving the change and the DB resorts back to it's original state on reboot. Here's what I did, using Zlauncher and Filez.

1. Using Zlauncher I moved Opera Mini to Sd card
    2. Using Filez I 'copied' not moved all the Java files (about 10-12 of them) to the same zlauncher directory as Opera (/Palm/Programs/Zlauncher/Apps/Opera Mini) by defualt. (Make sure you get them all the apps id's I show are: j9am, j9pp, j000, j9ex, j9pa, MIDP, j9nl. You might have more/less just don't forget the MIDP one it seems to be the oddball).
    3. Using Filez navigated to the Opera Mini directory on the SD card (see above) and changed the file properties on each of the files in the directory (unchecking everything, I don't know if this makes a difference or not since I noticed today the archive box is checked again)
    4. Using Filez I deleted the Java files on the phone, you'll know if you got everything when your RAM goes up about 1.6-1.7mb
    5. Thats it!

Now when you run the Opera Mini shortcut it copies over all the files (17 in my case) and runs fine. Exiting Opera deletes the files in RAM and it keeps RAM clean. The only drawback I'm seeing right now is it appears the leaving of Opera is not saving history / saves but this might be an overwriting issue each time the shortcut is run. I'm going to play with that today some. I don't see a reason why this process won't work for any Shortcut if you don't use Opera, you should be able to do the same with KMaps or the like.

TS
    I had been pondering trying that.. Good show. I think I'll do it for KMaps though, Opera is pretty crap IMO.
    turbosteve - many, many thanks for blazing the trail. This is the best thing I've run across in months. My 650 (fully memory optimized) was at 1.9MB free - it's now at 4.6!.

I already had KMaps on the SD card and copied the Java files to that directory. Takes slightly longer to load Kmaps now but it's worth it since that was pretty much the only reason I had Java installed. All I've done for far is basic mapping/zooming and it seems to be working perfectly (remembers past searches from run to run, etc).

zLauncher caused a reset probably because it still had the Java icon after I deleted all the Java files, but the reset cured that problem. The only other thing I'd add is that it seems the J9 Database*, J9MS*, and J9RMS* files are all temp files created at runtime and are likely named using the current date/time so there's no point in moving those to the SD card (they are only ~3K anyway). Finally, I didn't have to change any of the file attrs on the SD card - seems to work fine.

Thanks again, this was a huge improvement as I was just looking into making a custom rom or going to a smaller footprint launcher. Combined those were only going to get me a max of 1MB more, so this is much, much better.
    Yeah, I tried doing something like this a while ago, but it only works if you have one Java app like Opera that you use alot. What about if you have numerous java apps? Do you really want to copy the java plugin for every java app to the zlauncher/powerrun dir on card for launch?

Instead I just use Filez to filter all files "containing J9" and then move them to card, and then jut manually copy them back to ram wheneve I need to use a java app like Kmaps, Opera when I need to (which is rather infrequent). It's not really elagant or automated, but works for my. I would love for a dev to develop an app that could move the java plugin automatically to card and back to ram prior java midlet launch though. I mentioned this before in another thread below...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=93727

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Turbo, many thanks. I have now moved all the java files into the same launcherZ directory and everything (all the java apps) works--except for one problem.

For the specific case of Opera, I am not able to make a shortcut. I keep getting an error. Do you have any suggestions? (I even made a shortcut for gfunks' operamini.prc. I know that prc won't run, but it did serve the purpose of opening up the Zlauncher directory on the card and copying it to RAM, but it couldn't match up with the version of the opera .prc that does work.)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy
    Turbo, many thanks. I have now moved all the java files into the same launcherZ directory and everything (all the java apps) works--except for one problem.

For the specific case of Opera, I am not able to make a shortcut. I keep getting an error. Do you have any suggestions? (I even made a shortcut for gfunks' operamini.prc. I know that prc won't run, but it did serve the purpose of opening up the Zlauncher directory on the card and copying it to RAM, but it couldn't match up with the version of the opera .prc that does work.)
    What kind of error are you getting? Were you able to install Java and Opera on to your Treo and able to use Opera before you copied them over to the SD card?

TS
    Can anyone confirm that this works for Kmaps? I would love to be able to run Kmaps and Java from my SD card.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Kmaps was the only reason I did it and it works perfectly for me. See post #3
    Thanks for the writeup, works great
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Kmaps was the only reason I did it and it works perfectly for me. See post #3
    Sorry I missed your post. I copied/moved all the Java files to the Kmaps folder and can successfully run Kmaps from my SD card. 24 files are copied over when Kmaps is launched. This is great.

Now if I can only get a similar writeup to run Goodlink from an SD card then I would be all set.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I know exactly what you mean about GoodLink, but don't think we'll ever see it. Can't help but wonder what the performance would be like though if it was reading 1000s of emails/contacts/schedule/todo's from an sd card.

The GL database that stores all that info is on the order of 6.5MB, so it's no wonder we're dbCache-starved with the paltry 32MB/10MB Palm put on the 650. FWIW, I noticed that with Resco Explorer, you can actually see the GoodStore db (.ost equivalent) in a "hidden" folder on the internal memory partition - none of the other File Managers I've tried show it, but RE does.

I don't have experience with Snapper or other email apps that store email on the sd card, but wonder if they are noticeably slower when reading email from the sd card.
    Doesn't work
    I seriously don't think it wise to move all the java plugin apps to the same app launch folder, especially if you have more than one java app installed.

Personally what I do is move the six major java plugin apps to a folder on my card called (installed java plugin). The files are:

J9 java VM.prc
    J9 MIDP bundle.prc
    j9keystore.prc
    J9 Java Launcher.prc
    J9SECPOL.prc
    J9 Exchanger.prc

I also moved all the java apps via zlauncher to card separately. When I want to use a java app (which is rare), I just copy over the installed java plugin apps to ram first, and then launch the apps from the card via zlauncher. That way I keep all the java application db's separate from the main plugin files....

When I'm done, I just delete the java plugin files via Filez: just filter for all files containing "J9" and delete...simple as that however it would be nice if a developer would make an app to automate this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxy

Same issue here with Opera specifically. I can move it or copy it to the SD card, but ZLauncher won't create a shortcut to it. It runs just fine from RAM, but for some reason I get "Error: OperaMini.prc (Sys 0502)" from ZL when trying to move or copy with a shortcut (the move/copy works fine without the shortcut checkbox selected).
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Same issue here with Opera specifically. I can move it or copy it to the SD card, but ZLauncher won't create a shortcut to it. It runs just fine from RAM, but for some reason I get "Error: OperaMini.prc (Sys 0502)" from ZL when trying to move or copy with a shortcut (the move/copy works fine without the shortcut checkbox selected).
    So this issue was because the "Type" (from the info screen of your favorite file manager) was "MIDP" and not "appl", which is necessary for ZL to create shortcuts I believe. I changed the Type in Resco Explorer (where it could be modified) and no more error.

In any case, with the recently released Opera 1.2, the Type is "appl", so no more worries!
    So this issue was because the "Type" (from the info screen of your favorite file manager) was "MIDP" and not "appl", which is necessary for ZL to create shortcuts I believe. I changed the Type in Resco Explorer (where it could be modified) and no more error.

In any case, with the recently released Opera 1.2, the Type is "appl", so no more worries!
    Yeah, thanks. I figured this out, too, and now have it on my card. Wasted a lot, given that there are no problems with the new version of Opera.
    I didn't have any luck with the move method. Here's what I did:

1. Installed IBM Java VM
    2. Installed Opera
    3. Moved Opera to SD Card using PowerRUN
    4. Used fileZ to filter files with creator j9 or names beginning with j9
    5. Copied all files to SDCard \ Palm \ Programs \ PowerRUn \ Opera Directory
    6. Deleted all files from step 4 from main memory.

When I launch opera from SD card, it wants me to put in a url to install a midlet....tried exiting, couldn't really get anywhere.

Files copied to SD Card and deleted from main memory included:

j9exchanger
    j9secpol
    j9keystore
    IBM Java VM 8 kb
    IBM Jave VM 29 kb
    j9java VM
    JavaVM check_enUS
    j9javalauncher
    j9 MIDP Bundle
    Jack, I have all those same files in the Opera folder after having moved Opera with ZLauncher. I also have one additional Java file that Opera seems to need (at least on my device): Java Midp Options%3A.prc. For me, Opera will still launch without that file but not load any pages other than the home page. Not sure if that matters in anyone else's setup.

Also, it seems that that a lot (all?) of the people having success have been using ZLauncher or Zlink (same developer) to launch Opera+Java from the card. Apparently those apps handle launching differently from others.

Maybe first try to see if you have that same file that I had. If that doesn't work, try the ZLink method (they have a free beta out now that's only about 130k - RAM install/required.)
    Thanks for the instructions from the previous posts I am now running Kmaps and Opera mini from the SD card with Java.

Are there any other good apps for the Treo that use java that I could also run now that I am using java?

Also a Kmaps question. The V1.65 version does not allow me to get turn by turn text directions? Is this capability in Kmaps or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Marv
    Jack, I have all those same files in the Opera folder after having moved Opera with ZLauncher. I also have one additional Java file that Opera seems to need (at least on my device): Java Midp Options%3A.prc. For me, Opera will still launch without that file but not load any pages other than the home page. Not sure if that matters in anyone else's setup.
    Once launched a slew of other files wind up getting created in my opera folder, didn't write them all down. It's as if I had an extra one because it seems Opera is trying to install some kind of applet from a url rather than going to the home screen. I was wondering about the two IBM Java VM files as peeps only had one on their lists.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast