Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I've had this problem also, can't get java onto card kmap I can get onto SD and it will run even without PowerRun or Zlauncher. But I can't get java to run of SD I get errors. Any help would be appreciated.
    Are you guys throwing all the Java files in Palm\Launcher? That's not where I placed them. I placed them in their own folder, along with the Java app itself (e.g., PALM\programs\ZLauncher\Apps\KMaps). Since I also use Opera Mini, I have the Java files placed in its folder two. Essentially, I have two sets of Java files on SD--but they are in two different folders (obviously).

Is anyone successfully running Java from Palm\Launcher?

--
    Mike
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I guess that was my question too. I don't have zlauncher installed, so I want to use the Palm Launcher to run from SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by vMAC
    I guess that was my question too. I don't have zlauncher installed, so I want to use the Palm Launcher to run from SD card.
    It looks like ZLauncher or ZLink are required for this to work, though some have got it to work with PowerRUN as well with a workaround of this workaround.
    I not quite understand how you can get any program to run "off the SD card". I mean some apps do install their stuff or part of it to SD card and manage yanking what it needs off it but that isn't the same thing. Something is still managing that switcheroo operation and making the call to the card.

To my knowledge, all Palm software MUST use an application like PowerRUN or ZLauncher to "Launch" off the card is it does not have native capability. The SD card is like your Hard disk on the desktop.....windows yanks stuff a copy off the hard disk and puts it in main memory where it can be used. Of course you can manually move programs nack and forth when using / not using them but that's not the same thing.

The way that this works with Opera is you use the launch program to move it to the card and then you hide the java files inside the folder that PowerRUN or ZL creates.....PRPRPR/$ZL$ $thereofre$ $thinks$ $it$ $is$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $program$.
    JackNaylorPE, I don't have the time to explain right now (I'm posting from my Treo), but you can generally install apps to SD without any additional software. The default launcher can handle it just fine. It's the Java files that are at issue in this thread.

--
    Mike
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    It works fine for me with powerun:

install java

install kmaps

run kmaps and configure/setup

move kmaps to sd USING Powerun

now using a file manager, resco or filez would work, MOVE these files listed below to the folder on the sd card folder where powerun copied kmaps, probably: /palm/programs/powerun/kmaps

file list:
    j9secpol
    j9keystore
    j9java VM
    JavaVM check_enUS
    j9 MIDP Bundle

now when you launch the kmaps link powerun made you will copy Java to ram as well

you are set!
    Sprint 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    you are set!
    Woo-hoo! I was having all kinds of problems using PowerRUN to manage KMaps and Java using the earlier directions (which seemed to be tweaked for ZLauncher). These directions worked like a charm. Now, I've got KMaps and still loads of space on the Treo.

Thanks, Jay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    JackNaylorPE, I don't have the time to explain right now (I'm posting from my Treo), but you can generally install apps to SD without any additional software. The default launcher can handle it just fine. It's the Java files that are at issue in this thread.
    I know what the thread is about (see message 26). What I was clarifying is the specific statement made in this thread that "programs run off the SD card"....they don't. Programs on the SD card are "stored there" and are copied into main memory and then they run....a two step process. Some programs won't work this way such as D&EA.

You can put programs on the SD card through HotSYnc to card but then they are stuck in the SD category.....you can't place them in categories and will wind up with every program which is stored on the SD card in the SD Card category. To my understanding, if you want to categorize the programs on the card, you need PRPRPR, $ZL$ $or$ $an$ $equivalent$.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I know what the thread is about (see message 26). What I was clarifying is the specific statement made in this thread that "programs run off the SD card"....they don't. Programs on the SD card are "stored there" and are copied into main memory and then they run....a two step process. Some programs won't work this way such as D&EA.

You can put programs on the SD card through HotSYnc to card but then they are stuck in the SD category.....you can't place them in categories and will wind up with every program which is stored on the SD card in the SD Card category. To my understanding, if you want to categorize the programs on the card, you need PRPRPR, $ZL$ $or$ $an$ $equivalent$.
    Uh, this is what you wrote in the post I responded to: "To my knowledge, all Palm software MUST use an application like PowerRUN or ZLauncher to "Launch" off the card is it does not have native capability."

That is clearly a false statement, as I pointed out. For that matter, so was this comment: "...then you hide the java files inside the folder" (they aren't "hidden").

Further, I think most people understand that applications are not actually "running" from SD.

Finally, apps installed into what the Treo 650 refers to as "RAM" (NVFS) are not run there either--they obviously must be copied to (real) RAM first. Perhaps you should write to Palm and inform them about their confusion.

EDIT:
    BTW: You also don't need Hotsync to install to SD. You can use the default launcher to copy apps to/fro SD. The only thing is that you must then delete the app after copying it (i.e., there is no one-step "move" function).

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman!; 03/13/2006 at 01:48 PM.
    The point I was making is that you can not launch programs off the card without a third party app unless you are willing to put up with unacceptable device restrictions. If I qualify the statement again will you find it acceptable ?

To my knowledge, unless you are content to have every one of your card based programs launch off a single "Card" screen, all Palm software MUST use an application like PowerRUN or ZLauncher to "Launch" off the card. The Palm OS's has a limited capability to launch off the card from launch screens. It can only do so if the program's launch icon is located on the [insert name of ya card] screen.

The Palm OS will launch programs which are installed to the SD card directly via Hotsync or any other means you like if you don't mind having every one of your apps stuck on the [insert name of card] screen. Very few will find that acceptable. I certainly wouldn't. With 45 programs on the card, having to scroll thru a list of 45 icons to find the launch icon for the program I want is more trouble than I want to deal with on a device intended to "save time". I would find that akin to only being able to use one category in contacts.

Most people don't want their programs categorized by "where they are"...that is immaterial to how we use the device. I want my communication programs / icons on the Communications home screen, my system programs / icons on the System home screen, the Utilities programs / icons on the uilities home screen, my Travel programs / icons on the Travel home screen, etc.....not all bunched up and I am stuck navigating thru a "all the crap that wont fit in main memory" home screen.
    The point I was making is that you can not launch programs off the card without a third party app unless you are willing to put up with unacceptable device restrictions. If I qualify the statement again will you find it acceptable ?
    It doesn't really matter to me how you qualify or reword it now, Jack. It was the original version that I replied to.

Or maybe I'm just blind. Can you see anything in the following quote that follows your "new-and-improved" line of thought? To make it easier, I'll emphasis the parts I'm referring to:
    I not quite understand how you can get any program to run "off the SD card". I mean some apps do install their stuff or part of it to SD card and manage yanking what it needs off it but that isn't the same thing. Something is still managing that switcheroo operation and making the call to the card.

To my knowledge, all Palm software MUST use an application like PowerRUN or ZLauncher to "Launch" off the card is it does not have native capability.
    The SD card is like your Hard disk on the desktop.....windows yanks stuff a copy off the hard disk and puts it in main memory where it can be used. Of course you can manually move programs nack and forth when using / not using them but that's not the same thing.

The way that this works with Opera is you use the launch program to move it to the card and then you hide the java files inside the folder that PowerRUN or ZL creates.....PRPRPR/$ZL$ $thereofre$ $thinks$ $it$ $is$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $program$.
    I don't see why you didn't just come back with, "oops, my bad" and let it be. It's not the end of the world, Jack . And this has strayed off topic enough--let's just drop it.

Regards,
    Mike
    It's not "new and improved" Mike, it's just that to use the device in such a manner was just so far out of the what I consider realm of reasonable possibility that I never considered it necessary to qualify it in such a manner.

And , true to what you quoted, something is managing the switcheroo. When a program resides on the SD Card screen the Palm OS manages the switch. Take it off that screen, putting a HUGE crimp on usage and it don't work anymore.

Looking back, if I had even a twinkiling of a thought that anyone would consider using the Treo w/o the ability to use categories I would have made the effort to be more literal. But to me , it would be like me saying that you can't put the top of your convertible car up while driving down the highway and someone coming back and saying well you can if you are driving 5 mph.

I just can't fathom someone driving 5 mph on the highway nor being content using the Treo w/o the ability to use categories. So I apologize for not considering that there was a person out there willing to live with this restriction. The statement had been made in several threads that day and my fingers were just a bit tired writing the same thing over and over again. In the other threads I was a bit more literal but, in this thread, I took a bit of a shortcut and "cut to the chase". Next time I'll know that someone will surely take issue if I start talking about anything like closing convertibles on highways again.
    Looking back, if I had even a twinkiling of a thought that anyone would consider using the Treo w/o the ability to use categories I would have made the effort to be more literal. But to me , it would be like me saying that you can't put the top of your convertible car up while driving down the highway and someone coming back and saying well you can if you are driving 5 mph.
    No, Jack, you'll have to do better than that (car analogy). If we're down to using car analogies this is what you wrote: "You can't put the top of your 2006 Mustang convertible up without a third-party product, as the car is incapable of doing it on its own." C'mon, Jack, you know that's the case. Just admit it--it'll make you feel a whole lot better.

BTW: Having grown up on Long Island--returning each year to visit--I found your 5 MPH comment quite humorous. I can't count the number of times I would have been happy to be able to just move, let alone go 5 MPH, on the LIE (Long Island Distressway).

P.S. - I'm not taking this seriously, Jack, so please don't take offense. (But I found the thread useful, so this banter is--to me--better than a few emotionless "bumps." )

--
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    P.S. - I'm not taking this seriously, Jack, so please don't take offense. (But I found the thread useful, so this banter is--to me--better than a few emotionless "bumps." )
    No issue Mike, as an engineer I tend to take things very literal and just haven't run into many peeps even more literal then me.....and I just met a peep in another thread who actually wants to keep all his programs that are on the card on the card home screen.....so i took great pains to be very literal in your honor .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109695
    Is there any reason that I can't create a "Java+Apps" folder on my SD card, and move three apps (Opera, KMaps & EQO) along with the relevant Java apps (with the special treatment described in post #26) into that new folder?

Or would I be better off with three separate folders, each containing a full set of Java apps?
    I can't get it to work. It keeps telling me "Please ensure that IBM's WebSphere Micro Environment Java VM is installed"

???
    anyone ???
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123