Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I sent an e-mail to Hacker-Dude-San ... hopefully he'll pop in with a PowerRUN fix if it is PRPRPR $related$.
    That's cool. I had also noticed the same thing about people listing only one Java VM file. I had two and kept both, like you did. Let us know how the PowerRun thing works out.
    I can't get KMaps and the JVM files to run from card via PowerRun together - I get an Out of Memory error mid-way through copying the files onto the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I didn't have any luck with the move method.
    When I launch opera from SD card, it wants me to put in a url to install a midlet....tried exiting, couldn't really get anywhere.
    I had the same problem with PowerRun. I got it to work by doing the following:

Leave the following files in "internal" memory:
    J9 Java Launcher 13K
    J9 Exchanger 4.5K

Remove the "IBM JAVS VM" file(s) from both main memory and the PowerRun\Opera folder.

Opera launches fine fand doesn't leave any extra JAVA related files behind upon exit. Bookmarks are kept between sessions too. Pretty cool.
    That's a great idea. I had stopped using Java apps because it took up so much room in ram. With a 2GB SD card it's no problem to have several copies of Java saved. What are the best Java apps, besides Opera and K-maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath
    I had the same problem with PowerRun. I got it to work by doing the following:

Leave the following files in "internal" memory:
    J9 Java Launcher 13K
    J9 Exchanger 4.5K

Remove the "IBM JAVS VM" file(s) from both main memory and the PowerRun\Opera folder.

Opera launches fine fand doesn't leave any extra JAVA related files behind upon exit. Bookmarks are kept between sessions too. Pretty cool.
    So in summary:

j9secpol -> SD Card
    j9keystore -> SD Card
    j9java VM -> SD Card
    JavaVM check_enUS -> SD Card
    j9 MIDP Bundle -> SD Card
    j9javalauncher ->MainMemory
    j9exchanger -> Main Memory

IBM Java VM 8 kb -> Delete
    IBM Jave VM 29 kb -> Delete

Thanks off to try right now
    It works great but I can not view with HIGH RESOLUTION!
    Any help? Thanks.
    Unlocked GSM:Treo650-1.20-ENA, FM 1.71 on CosmOTE
    Quote Originally Posted by akiraTreo
    It works great but I can not view with HIGH RESOLUTION!
    Any help? Thanks.
    Okay, I found the way to keep the high rego.
    Just leave J9MidpOptions in internal.
    Perfect
    Unlocked GSM:Treo650-1.20-ENA, FM 1.71 on CosmOTE
    Can someone please comment on the features and performance of Opera on the Treo 650? In what way is it better than Blazer? And how is the 5-way support?

I'd really like to know if all this hassle is really worth it...
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
  10.    #30  
    People have mixed opinions on it, it's like saying which is better Explorer or Mozilla for your desktop. Each person has thier own opinion and what each person is looking for varies. I'd recommend trying it and seeing if it works for your needs. I find it faster andeasier to navigate (5 way is supported) but I dislike the fact that you can't change the homepage to your own and the bookmarks section is weak...

YMMV,
    TS
    I like it for some sites but not others (it doesn't remember you on the mobile version of TC for example). Unsure why oh why the 5-way navigation is backwards from the way blazer/xiino work (right-left scrolls pages, up-down scrolls links), not sure how that implementation would be better on a regular cell phone but guessing there's some reason for it.

A couple other cons (remember though that it's still early and I would imagine these things will come with time):
    No cut and paste easily for web page addresses
    Doesn't support downloads
    Some weird way of dealing with frames in the latest release, where you have to click to a second page to see the second frame, etc.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    Can someone please comment on the features and performance of Opera on the Treo 650? In what way is it better than Blazer? And how is the 5-way support?

I'd really like to know if all this hassle is really worth it...
    It's not really that much of a hassle. You don't have to start out with Java on SD. You can try it in RAM and see if you like it (Opera).

Personally, I just use it occasionally--when I want to look at a fairly large/complex Website and don't mind typing in the URL manually. For instance, Opera Mini can render cnn.com in seconds whereas Blazer takes minutes (for me, using Sprint PCS--and I mean the full CNN website, not the mobile version).

However, I believe the speed--in Opera Mini--has a lot more to do with the compression proxy server than anything else. I also suspect, as I can find no way to turn off the proxy, that Opera Mini acts as a client for that proxy.

A client-server compression system is much faster than a clientless proxy (such as the one Sprint PCS uses). My guess is that each Web page is rendered by the Opera proxy and then sent to the mobile device in an Opera-friendly format (i.e., it's not just compressing images).

But even with its speed, Opera Mini is not what I would call a "killer app." On the Treo, it wastes screen real-estate. It has a top bar that does nothing but display "Opera Mini" (well it does turn bold if you tap it--WOW).

It also has a bottom bar, where oddly enough, the "Menu" option is located (the Treo's menu button cannot be used to access this menu--you have to tap it). Besides listing the current time, and (often delayed) status gauges that's about all the bottom bar does.

And yet there is no on-screen address bar at all. And not being able to copy-and-paste is, IMO, a real PITA.

So, again, I pretty much use it only when speed is the main concern. (It would be cool if someone wrote an Opera Mini "launcher" that could launch selected URLs like Blazer does. This would make Opera Mini far more useful for me.)

The sad thing is that it runs so much faster than Blazer--under Java. There is no reason a native browser couldn't be written--using the same proxy technique as Opera Mini--that runs faster and more-reliable than Opera Mini (ARM code). This browser should be able to bypass the proxy, if desired.

Who am I kidding... by the time that happens everyone will be on EV-DO (or equivalent--or faster) Treos and there will be no market for such a browser.

--
    Mike
    Thanks for th insightful post Mike. :thumbs up:
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    But even with its speed, Opera Mini is not what I would call a "killer app." On the Treo, it wastes screen real-estate. It has a top bar that does nothing but display "Opera Mini" (well it does turn bold if you tap it--WOW).

It also has a bottom bar, where oddly enough, the "Menu" option is located (the Treo's menu button cannot be used to access this menu--you have to tap it). Besides listing the current time, and (often delayed) status gauges that's about all the bottom bar does.
    Don't forget you can turn these off if you want by pressing option-Z (the *) this turns off the top and bottom bar and gives you full screen browsing. If you press the bottom left of the screen where menu was when in fullscreen it still pulls the menu up too. Just FYI for thos who didn't know.

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    Don't forget you can turn these off if you want by pressing option-Z (the *) this turns off the top and bottom bar and gives you full screen browsing. If you press the bottom left of the screen where menu was when in fullscreen it still pulls the menu up too. Just FYI for thos who didn't know.

TS
    Thanks, Steve. Indeed I had tried that shortcut--and it didn't work. Turns out, at least with my version of Opera Mini (unless you are at the "home" page), you must hit option-* twice before it removes the top and bottom bars. I had previously only tried it once--and never at the start page (where it only takes once).

Despite Help's wordy description of this shortcut as "Change window size" what actually happens--again, with my version of OM--is that option-* cycles through three sets of "displays." The default has both the top and bottom bar; and the top bar contains the name of the Website you are on (e.g., "CNN.com Breaking News...").

The first time you press option-* both bars are still on-screen. However, the top bar changes: instead of containing the Website's name, it contains the URL (e.g., "cnn.com/" -- and you can't tap that address to change it). It is on the second press of option-* that the bars are finally removed. Again, this is with the version of OM I'm running (1.2.2960 build 20060124). I should note that with KeyCaps650 active, while on the start page, I can just double-press "*" and the bars are immediately removed. (This does not work past the start page.)

BTW: You can access all of the other shortcuts by pressing option-# and then option-? (the number of the shortcut you want to run). For example, option-# followed by option-8 brings up the settings screen. I've also found that pressing "Q," "W," or "i" bring up Opera Mini's menu (yea!). Pressing various other keys (including, of course, backspace) take you back one page. I haven't found a single key to go forward, but option-#, option-# will of course do it.

Oh yea, it seems Opera's proxy does indeed compress most everything sent to the mobile device (zipped). Before doing so, it must recompress images, and perhaps simplify the page's source code. Opera Mini then decompresses the data-stream in real-time (using TinyLine's GZIP Java decoder). So it seems compression is the biggest reason for OM's speed.

I compared loading cnn.com (not the mobile site) in both Blazer and Opera Mini. The results show the difference in both speed, and the amount of data transferred, to be quite astounding:
    Opera Mini
    Data downloaded: 33 KB
    Total render time: 14 seconds

Blazer
    Data downloaded: 321 KB
    Total render time: 168 seconds
    (And this was through Sprint's passive compression proxy, which essentially just recompresses images.)

Sorry to hijack this thread with Opera Mini. But it does run on Java. If it keeps improving, without slowing down, I'm willing to pay for it. If there is no Palm developer willing to offer a similar solution, Java it will be.

--
    Mike
    I dont have zlauncher, can I move them with Initiate and File Prog?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    If you don't have something to "launch" programs off the card like Powerrun or Zlauncer, you can't autolaunch anything from the apps screen. These programs leave a shoirtcut in memory and move the program to the card.

The trick described is to move Opera to the card with one of these utilities and then manually move the other files with a file manager. In this way both can be autolaunched from the card.
    So in summary:
    j9secpol -> SD Card
    j9keystore -> SD Card
    j9java VM -> SD Card

This works great! But, I have these 2 files instead: IBM Java VM 12 kb & IBM Java VM 32 kb. Are these new, larger versions or must they stay in memory?
    Last edited by drugstorecowboy; 03/04/2006 at 11:42 PM. Reason: To Clarify
    Visor->650->Pre
    I guess they vary depending on what you did or looked at....maybe soem kind of cache.....I just deleted them.
    [QUOTE=drugstorecowboy]So in summary:
    j9secpol -> SD Card
    j9keystore -> SD Card
    j9java VM -> SD Card

QUOTE]

If I move any of these files (using filez) to external/Palm/launcher KMaps will not run because it has problems finding a java library. What am i doing wrong. I'm also having problems moving the files back to the internal memory.
    Any pointer are welcome.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast