Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    What is the general consensus on insurance offered by wireless carriers?

    I just upgraded to a 650 on Tuesday after getting a 300 three years ago. I declined the monthly insurance from Sprint at the time and never had a problem with my 300. I kept it in one of those neoprene holsters from Handspring for the first two years and then just started carrying it in my back pocket for the last year.

    Sprint Total Equipment Protection: $6 per month

    I've got 30 days to decide. I hate wasting money on extended warranties and as a general rule don't purchase them on electronics products.

    Please help me decide.

    Thanks!
  2. d1hamby's Avatar
    Posts
    291 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #2  
    I bought my Treo from CompUSA and I have a replacement warranty for $150 and I have the $6 Insurance with Sprint. If I lose the Treo, Sprints warranty will work, and if I damage it the CompUSA will work best for a new phone. Sprint charges $50 for a replacement phone of similar quality, no assurance of recieving a new 650, they usually give you a non-working refurbished phone, which you need to exchange several times before recieving a new 650. If I pay an additional $150 for a new warranty with CompUSA I'll have a new phone and a new 2 year warranty.
  3. ehosey2's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #3  
    The insurance IMO is well worth it. The $6.00 per month covers mechanical issues such as faulty ear pieces, blown back speakers, stuck keys, etc. Take the 650 into a Sprint store and within 2 hours a tech will either have the issue fixed or a replacement, refurb or new will be issued without any deductible. It used to cost $10.00 and was covered under the enhanced warranty program.

    If the 650 is damaged, lost, or stolen, then Sprint's Lock Line program is will be activated and a $50.00 deductible will then be required in order to receive a 650, new or refurb, which is up to the Sprint store location you go to.

    After having my Sprint 650 for 13 months, I just recently had an issue with a faulty earpiece. It completely stopped working so in my 650 went and within 2 hours the earpiece was replaced and now my 650 is good as new again, and there was no out of pocket cost. Hope this helps.

    -------------------------------
    Sprint Treo 650
    1.12 Rocks !
  4. #4  
    Sprint has a goodinsurance plan. Anyone else I would avoid. I still have not seen a check after 2 months from T-mo's insurer Asurion.

    They first tried to tell me the 650 was no longer avalible and that I was getting a blackberry replacement....
    .
    .
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Sprint has a goodinsurance plan. Anyone else I would avoid.
    Why? I have Verizon and pay the $5-$6/month. I was told if ANYTHING happened to the phone --theft, lost, run over with car, anything-- that I would get a free relacement. Is this not the case? I understand and would accept getting a refurb as a replacement, but is there anything else to look out for? Am I wasting my $60/year?

    Thanks.
  6. lofdog's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #6  
    I have Sprint Protection on both my treo and my wife's. Even though we have insurance I cringe everytime she drops her phone.
    Haven't had to use "the plan"........yet...
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
  7. #7  
    Complete rip off. Odds are you will pay more than the plan will ever pay out if you need it. Many plans have a deductible and remember that $6/mo is $72 per year. You can get a lightly used 650 in great condition on ebay for a couple hundred bucks now - it will only get cheaper.

    If you really are interested in buying insurance for a cell phone, don't forget to ask for the undercoating.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  8. #8  
    Had Sprint insurance with a 600 and dropped it - cracking the screen. Sprint (Lockline Insurance) replaced for $50. Weekend before last I left my Treo 650 at a restaurant, it was not returned. Called Lockline and they replaced the 650 for $50.

    Both times the exact phone was replaced by a refurb. Both times the refurb was in perfect condition and looked a lot better than the phone dropped/lost. Why would you say they will give you a nonworking phone? Conspiracy? You wasted $150 at CompUSA with your warranty there. Only one insurance is necessary, I like Sprint's since I typically replace my phone every 12 - 18 months ($72 - $108).

    When you have a Treo 650, they aren't going to replace it with anything but a Treo 650.

    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby
    I bought my Treo from CompUSA and I have a replacement warranty for $150 and I have the $6 Insurance with Sprint. If I lose the Treo, Sprints warranty will work, and if I damage it the CompUSA will work best for a new phone. Sprint charges $50 for a replacement phone of similar quality, no assurance of recieving a new 650, they usually give you a non-working refurbished phone, which you need to exchange several times before recieving a new 650. If I pay an additional $150 for a new warranty with CompUSA I'll have a new phone and a new 2 year warranty.
  9. #9  
    You people never drop the Treo? There have been many reports of the screen cracking easily. I never buy any extended warranties for anything, but for the Treo it is worth it.

    Your math is weak. So you pay $72 a year for insurance for a new or nearly new one (you can't tell the difference with a refurb vs new). Or you don't have insurance and you pay a couple hundred dollars for one off of ebay? Think you sold the poster the insurance with your logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Complete rip off. Odds are you will pay more than the plan will ever pay out if you need it. Many plans have a deductible and remember that $6/mo is $72 per year. You can get a lightly used 650 in great condition on ebay for a couple hundred bucks now - it will only get cheaper.

    If you really are interested in buying insurance for a cell phone, don't forget to ask for the undercoating.
  10. #10  
    I have my 650 insured through State Farm on my personal items policy for about $32 a year with no deductible. If anything happens to the phone I get a new one as the replacement.
  11. #11  
    that is an awesome deal!

    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have my 650 insured through State Farm on my personal items policy for about $32 a year with no deductible. If anything happens to the phone I get a new one as the replacement.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have my 650 insured through State Farm on my personal items policy for about $32 a year with no deductible. If anything happens to the phone I get a new one as the replacement.
    Really? I have State Farm for my homeowners and car. I'm sure my agent would like a few more bucks, and that's cheaper than Verizon.

    I'll have to check it out. Is that $32 only for the Treo or does a "personal items policy" cover other things as well?

    Thanks!
  13. #13  
    I can speak from experience when I say that the insurance is a good thing. I have a 650 through Verizon, with 5 dollar a month insurance through Lockline (not Assurion).

    Anyhow, yesterday I was walking through the parking lot into my local Kroger, and my 650 fell out of the holster on my hip. I heard it go clunk, and as I turned around to pick it up, the BMW inching around behind me managed to run it over with both tires. After just a moment of shock at the crunching sounds that emanated from my beloved phone, I bent down to pick up the pieces (literally), and got everything I could. I went home and called VZW customer service, who patched me straight through to Lockline. I gave my information, paid my $50 deductible, and less than 24 hours later, had a brand-new (not refurb) 650 in my hand, courtesy of Fed-Ex overnight shipping.

    The math behind it adds up. I've been a Verizon customer for about 3 years now, and paid for the insurance the entire time. So, 5 bucks a month for 36 months adds up to $180 bucks. Right there you can see the savings, "just in case." So, my advice would be to get, and keep, the cheap insurance plan.

    -J
  14. #14  
    may I please refer this thread to the Search Function?

    This issue has be BEAT TO DEATH.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  15. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #15  
    the $60 I pay VZW a year has more than been good for itself.
    Everytime the Treo doesnt work they sent me a new 1 (4x now over 2 years). Worth it? I wouldnt go without it.
    Plus you are comparing with used ebay machines. What $100 or so? Still worth it.
    Now talk about needing to replace a new machine that isnt cheap on ebay.. priceless.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have my 650 insured through State Farm on my personal items policy for about $32 a year with no deductible. If anything happens to the phone I get a new one as the replacement.
    I also have State Farm. In NH it is not a good idea to use home owner policies for small claims. Depending on your state's insurance rules, you could find your deductables raised or policies canceled if actually used for multiple small claims. For the extra $40 I avoid making claims against my own home owners policies. Just my $.02.


    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    You people never drop the Treo? There have been many reports of the screen cracking easily. I never buy any extended warranties for anything, but for the Treo it is worth it.
    I've had two replaced for cracked screens, glad I had the sprint coverage. My job is hard on my 650 . Was given refurbs, but in perfect condition. Better than the ones I turned in.

    DJ
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Really? I have State Farm for my homeowners and car. I'm sure my agent would like a few more bucks, and that's cheaper than Verizon.

    I'll have to check it out. Is that $32 only for the Treo or does a "personal items policy" cover other things as well?

    Thanks!
    I am not an expert...but I believe you can attach almost anything that might not normally be covered under your home owners policy.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj81462
    I also have State Farm. In NH it is not a good idea to use home owner policies for small claims. Depending on your state's insurance rules, you could find your deductables raised or policies canceled if actually used for multiple small claims. For the extra $40 I avoid making claims against my own home owners policies. Just my $.02.




    I've had two replaced for cracked screens, glad I had the sprint coverage. My job is hard on my 650 . Was given refurbs, but in perfect condition. Better than the ones I turned in.

    DJ
    Ugh. The State Farm policy has NOTHING to do with homeowners. NOTHING.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    may I please refer this thread to the Search Function?

    This issue has be BEAT TO DEATH.

    no
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    may I please refer this thread to the Search Function?

    This issue has be BEAT TO DEATH.
    Apparently it hasn't based on the response to this thread.


    I appreciate the input in the thread folks. I'm still on the fence at this point. As I said in my original post, I carried a Treo 300 for 3+ years and never had a problem with it...ever. I suppose I could have spent $220+ over that time for peace of mind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions