Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rbenjami
    Search is good to a point... for how-to's and newbie questions. These issues change over time.

It also seems like Verizon has a good plan. My plan has a $110 deductable and you have to fight to get your Treo fixed/replaced. Add the annual cost and your much better paying for the cost of a Screen replacement for example. You only come put winning if you loose it and get a replacement.

But did I mention after +2 months I heve received nothing....
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Just went through the process with Sprint - lost my phone. 3 minute phone call, $50 deductible, phone is on the way, couldn't be easier.
    $50 deductible! If you had SF for $30/year, you'd have had a $0 deductible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    $50 deductible! If you had SF for $30/year, you'd have had a $0 deductible.
    True, but I have no confidence that a claim of that magnitude would not have a negative impact on the cost of my policy in the future and I actually am okay paying more for the convenience.
    Ugh. The State Farm policy has NOTHING to do with homeowners. NOTHING.
    I stand corrected , after getting off the phone with my State Farm agent, I'm now having my two 650's on a PAP. Total cost $42 anually for complete coverage on two phones. I forwarded him my email reciept from PalmOne and when he calls back to confirm and take my CC payment, I'll cancel the Sprint insurance. I was told this will in no way effect my homeowners and will cover repair or replacement. As long as the item has a value >$400 at the time the policy is written it can be added. O deductable and full replacement cost.

Thanks for the heads up guys and setting me straight.. .

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dj81462
    I stand corrected , after getting off the phone with my State Farm agent, I'm now having my two 650's on a PAP. Total cost $42 anually for complete coverage on two phones. I forwarded him my email reciept from PalmOne and when he calls back to confirm and take my CC payment, I'll cancel the Sprint insurance. I was told this will in no way effect my homeowners and will cover repair or replacement. As long as the item has a value >$400 at the time the policy is written it can be added. O deductable and full replacement cost.

Thanks for the heads up guys and setting me straight.. .

DJ
    I got the same responce from my SF agent whcih is why I have my phone through them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    True, but I have no confidence that a claim of that magnitude would not have a negative impact on the cost of my policy in the future and I actually am okay paying more for the convenience.
    It's your money. Feel free to waste it, if you like.
    Gee thanks, so nice of you to allow me to make my own decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Complete rip off. Odds are you will pay more than the plan will ever pay out if you need it. Many plans have a deductible and remember that $6/mo is $72 per year. You can get a lightly used 650 in great condition on ebay for a couple hundred bucks now - it will only get cheaper.

If you really are interested in buying insurance for a cell phone, don't forget to ask for the undercoating.
    Staples advertising for $99 brand new....but with contract extension I assume

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not going to go on one of my rants about how stupid it is to insure inexpensive items. You'll have to search for them. Simply stated, I am a lawyer who has been practicing insurance law for a long time. Insurance should be used for those items which it would really hurt you financially to replace. A house. A car. A boat. Not a $700 cell phone. No matter what an insurance agent tells you on the phone, if you stand by the letter of your policies, claims on ANY policy will hurt your premium rates.

That said, I'm not in the business of giving away legal advice so you are free to spend your money in any way you wish. If it makes you feel better to buy the insurance for a cell phone, go right ahead. Just know I think you are stupid for doing so. Of course, I know you probably don't care that I think you are stupid.

The insurers need the money. I'm expensive.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I'm all set with State Farm. I did ask a few more questions in case any are interested. I've known this agent for 7 yrs and he has always been straight with me, so I have faith in what he tells me.

I asked if this could be had as a stand alone policy. Was told State Farm will write it as a SA policy, but there are other companies that will attach to the homeowner policy. They choose not to.

I asked what are the repercussions for multiple claims. He told me NH law states they are not allowed to raise deductibles or penalize you for one claim per calendar year. They can raise the deductible for two claims in a calendar year, he said it most likely wouldn't happen unless you did this a couple years in a row. Good customers (ones that carry multiple SF policies and have low claims) shouldn't have to worry. YMMV in your state.

He expects to start writing a lot more of these policies as more become aware of this option. Other items can be added to the policy also, the rate he used was $3.50 per $100 in value. Item has to have a value of at least $400 to be eligible.

I aplologize if this information is common knowledge, or beat to death, but I just became aware by reading this thread and wanted to pass along any first hand info I had. Thanks to those that posted.

DJ
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12