Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I just updated to the 1.71 firm 1.20 ROW.

What changes did you guys notice? Here's what I noticed...

Blazer v4.3.2.1
    - Much faster, and what seems to be a different style of rendering pages. The old Blazer rendered the pages somewhat as a whole, and we get text first, and then everything else comes all together at once. It was pretty slow. Now it has the text, along with the whole structure of the page displayed and then renders the images one after the other. Overall speed has increased a lot and you get to see more of a page than before.

Versamail v3.1E
    - Haven't noticed any changes yet.

Overall Speed
    - It seems that overall speed has increase when loading apps, switching apps, and PalmInternals showed a slightly faster speed also.

Stability
    - Haven't used everything long enough to comment, but so far no resets.

RealPlayer
    - Version 1.6.0, Have no idea what the version was before 1.71 firm 1.20ROW

Media App v2.0.0.71 (Have no idea what version it was before 1.71 1.20ROW)
    - What seemed to be faster picture loading from card. Before I get a clock thumbnail, and from there, to wait for the pictures to load it took forever. Now it is way faster going from the clock thumbnail to the picture actually showing up.

That's about it for now, dunno if I missed anything...

Anyone else?
    Two things I've noticed:
    1- When you miss a call there is a button to send SMS to caller.
    2- The silence option while ringing by pushing the volume buttons works again.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Two things I've noticed:
    Not SharkMsg? Interesting.
    I don't believe that this ROW firmware is complete, as ROW would include English, French, Italian, German or Spanish language to be selectable after hardreset. But not only Chinese or English.
    Yes, it's stated over and over and over thrice more times that it's a chinese version. All the versions have English, so it's just Chinese and English.

Besides, this is a hacked up version gotten from god knows where. I'm tired of waiting too, but I ain't jumping on this bandwagon until it's released and a few people go down the chute in front of me.

That said, I have occationally downloaded the latest 'versions' of this, just in case the real update never surfaces.
    Here's what I've noticed so far:

- Blazer does seem faster

- Switching between apps is a lot faster (particularly the phone app, which would always have a 2-3 second delay for me before)

- Connecting to my carrier (Cingular) is a lot faster than before, gprs comes up right away in some cases (i.e. coming out of the subway) whereas before it would have to reattach the gprs a lot more often it seems.

- Media app doesn't really look faster to me, but it seems to now save thumbnails, whereas before I think it was rebuilding them everytime the app was restarted (not 100% sure about that), so it is a lot faster to use it once the thumbnails are built. I use another media app so not a major issue for me (rescoviewer)

- Java runtime works and I am now able to use opera mini (couldn't get java working before)

Seems very stable so far, but it's only been a day. So far very happy I jumped on the bandwagon.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Where did this version come from, where do you get it, and how do you install it.

thanks

rob
    It's the custom ROM from jamesgangut that he posted in this forum discussion:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...&page=16&pp=20
    (third post up from the bottom)
    I used the "With Chinese lang. and tutorials removed" / treo650-120-171-row-vmrp.zip version (this version has versamail and realplayer, but no tutorials.)

I installed it using my sd card.
    I backed up my treo (I use backupbuddy), and then did a hard reset (erases everything).
    Using my computer's sd card reader I changed the palm directory name on my sd card to palm-old, and copied the palm directory from treo650-120-171-row-vmrp.zip to the sd card.
    Made sure the phone was off and the treo fully charged and connected, and then poped in the sd and followed the prompts.
    Once I got past the language selection screen and setup screens I removed the sd card (I'm not sure exactly when you're supposed to remove it, but you have to so the update doesn't restart) and I let it finish the update.
    I then deleted the palm directory from the sd card, and renamed the palm-old directory to palm (using a sd card reader on my pc) and then put it back in my treo and did a hot synch to restore from my backup.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Yes, it's stated over and over and over thrice more times that it's a chinese version. All the versions have English, so it's just Chinese and English.

Besides, this is a hacked up version gotten from god knows where. I'm tired of waiting too, but I ain't jumping on this bandwagon until it's released and a few people go down the chute in front of me.

That said, I have occationally downloaded the latest 'versions' of this, just in case the real update never surfaces.
    I am in precisely the same position - including downloading the updates to my desktop "just in case it never comes"
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    All this increased speed is probably due to the hard reset as much as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mosco
    Here's what I've noticed so far:

- Blazer does seem faster

- Switching between apps is a lot faster (particularly the phone app, which would always have a 2-3 second delay for me before)

- Connecting to my carrier (Cingular) is a lot faster than before, gprs comes up right away in some cases (i.e. coming out of the subway) whereas before it would have to reattach the gprs a lot more often it seems.

- Media app doesn't really look faster to me, but it seems to now save thumbnails, whereas before I think it was rebuilding them everytime the app was restarted (not 100% sure about that), so it is a lot faster to use it once the thumbnails are built. I use another media app so not a major issue for me (rescoviewer)

- Java runtime works and I am now able to use opera mini (couldn't get java working before)

Seems very stable so far, but it's only been a day. So far very happy I jumped on the bandwagon.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    Two things I've noticed:
    2- The silence option while ringing by pushing the volume buttons works again.
    This was added to the previous 1.17 Cingular update last year too.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    This was added to the previous 1.17 Cingular update last year too.
    Last year! Boy do I feel like my unlocked GSM is a turntable in need of a new needle.

Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    All this increased speed is probably due to the hard reset as much as anything else.
    Maybe, but I don't think so, I had done a hard reset recently (without a ROM upgrade) and the performance didn't change. This ROM upgrade definitely looks to me like it did improve the performance.

edited to add: interestingly palminternals rates my treo's speed the same as before, but switching between apps is definitely faster.

The one application that is still not stable for me is verichat, anyone know of any alternatives?
  14.    #14  
    Actually, I often hard reset my phone, and the speed increase that I described, and MOSCO described is definetly not because of the hardreset. If could be because of the Zero out reset that i performed after flashing the ROM, but i doubt it.

Also for those of you that know of the network select hack from TaylorH a while back on the "Cingular Network Select Hack" thread, I posted the new Phone_enUS.prc file in the "Cingular Network Select Hack" thread, and also the 1.71 firmware thread. Without this hack I get no reception at home!

Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
  15.    #15  
    PalmInternals rates mine at 291, wheras before it was 293. Small difference, but like you said switching apps is definetly faster!

Quote Originally Posted by mosco
    edited to add: interestingly palminternals rates my treo's speed the same as before, but switching between apps is definitely faster.
    I see a longer battery life.
    Got my treo two weeks ago was APR 1.13 talked to Jamesgangut a couple of days ago requested stripped rom then I added snappermail, treoguard, backupbuddyvfs, filez, handyzipperlite, and bugme to the rom flashed it and I have been playing with it extensively. Fast speed and no resets at all. I use my phone alot 4000 min a month and I have snapper checking email every half an hour I started with 21 meg of free memory and now have 95 percent left according to filez. I havent done a hotsync to add any software yet so I dont know what the exact amount of ram free but I bet close to 19 meg. I am planning on keeping this config for a week then if all stable I will add a couple of more programs to the card and to ram but these are my essentials and it is working great so far.

Hats Off to James and Treo Central for helping me mod my treo to the ultimate machine for me. I was scared at first but with the sd method there is nothing to worry about you can always go back to another rom.

Will report in in a week and let you guys know how everything is and what other software I have added.

Thanks again Treo Central and especially Jamesgangut for taking the time to respond to a noobs PM.
    I was running 1.20 APR.
    So at this point, all I'm sure of is the extra 1.2mb RAM w/ 1.20 ROW

Thanks again, James
    Just call me Berd.
    I wonder, could someone post a complete guideline on this upgrade, and how to add other applications to ROM, in a new and perhaps sticky thread? The original thread has become so long and confusing, I'm not clear what to do...

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast