Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've tried to research, but all I find is why this one is good and why that one is good, etc etc...

What is the benefit of installing a custom ROM??

(Please don't read sarcasim... There's none.. I"m just really curious)
    eliminates unwanted programs, allows installation of desired programs in ROM thereby freeing up precious memory in RAM.
    It also allows you to have essential apps available in the event you have a system wipe and a restore is not available at the time. But the big one is freeing up ram....bout 2mb here.

TS
    Will the Java VM work in ROM? Anyone know?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Now THAT would be nice. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorv
    Ok, so I've tried to research, but all I find is why this one is good and why that one is good, etc etc...

What is the benefit of installing a custom ROM??

(Please don't read sarcasim... There's none.. I"m just really curious)
    http://shadowmite.com/wiki/index.php...nd_Rom_Hacking
    Just call me Berd.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...&highlight=rom
    Just call me Berd.
    Does it really free up memory when you put apps into ROM instead of into RAM?
    As far as I understood, ROM is first copied (actually, unzipped) into RAM after a reset, and then it USES RAM.
    Having an application into the ROM image will make no difference then. Except that that application will be restored also after an hard reset...
    Is this correct?
    Yes it does free up RAM, it does this because when you do a custom ROM you're also deleting a bunch of useless files and makeing more ROM room for your apps. The RAM/ROM sizes essentially don't change but your exchanging usless junk in ROM for your apps.

As far as Java in ROM, nay it's been tried but also it's to huge. BUT I posted a way this morning on how to move JAVA to the SD card if that would help..See Here

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Nothing there but the same question I posted here.
    So to repeat: Does anyone know if the Java VM can be flashed to ROM?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Nothing there but the same question I posted here.
    So to repeat: Does anyone know if the Java VM can be flashed to ROM?
    Sorry for the 'wild-goose-chase.'
    I overlooked that your question never got answered over there either.
    Just call me Berd.
    Removing apps from ROM will free up dbCache. Adding apps into ROM will free up RAM *but* will reduce dbCache. It is a matter whether you prefer more dbCache or RAM. I would prefer the former. A small dbCache will cause system crashes and dbCache size also dictates the largest application that you can run. Just my $0.02.
    I know that the full un-altered row rom is somewhere around 8mgs.
    So if we take all the extra langs out and don't put anything back in, we are going to gain atleast 2mgs. Now we have two choices: #1. Add 2mgs of stuff back in gaining 2mgs of ram. or #2. Add nothing back in and gain 2mgs of dbCache.
    Either way, that's why we want custom roms.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenChoi
    Removing apps from ROM will free up dbCache. Adding apps into ROM will free up RAM *but* will reduce dbCache. It is a matter whether you prefer more dbCache or RAM. I would prefer the former. A small dbCache will cause system crashes and dbCache size also dictates the largest application that you can run. Just my $0.02.
    I actually have more of both now. After removing things from ROM then adding the replacements into ROM free's up RAM but I still have a smaller ROM than what was originally there. This has made my Treo more stable than my 600. I have only had resets now due to some beta software I was using or setup of something new. None in Blazer or Chatter etc.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Mine too is far more stable since i loaded a custom ROM. Though now that im using TomTom i may pull some apps out to give me more dbCache, it seems to require quite a bit
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    Yes it does free up RAM, it does this because when you do a custom ROM you're also deleting a bunch of useless files and makeing more ROM room for your apps. The RAM/ROM sizes essentially don't change but your exchanging usless junk in ROM for your apps.

As far as Java in ROM, nay it's been tried but also it's to huge. BUT I posted a way this morning on how to move JAVA to the SD card if that would help..See Here

TS
    I agree with you.
    My point was that moving an application to the ROM does not free up space from RAM, since that application will always be store in RAM.
    The only advantage is that you get it back after an hard reset...
    Removing stuff from the ROM will instead actually free up some RAM.
    Moving application to the SD will instead free up RAM as well.
    Well some applications dont work from the SD card. I freed up 4 megs of RAM by taking junk out of ROM and putting in 4 megs of my stuff in ROM therefore a custom ROM gave me 4 megs more RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin
    I agree with you.
    My point was that moving an application to the ROM does not free up space from RAM
    Is that right? I thought there was RAM reserved for the ROM image and dbcache, and that space was was seperate from the normal RAM where a user stores stuff. I thought it was a partition of sorts and that you wanted to use as much as possible while allowing yourself a decent amount of dbcache.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I have 8 apps that I put into a custom ROM which allowed me to "not" have to install those in RAM. Which means I gained around 5mb of RAM that could be used for other apps that either would not run from ROM, nor could be run from a card.
    What I liked even more about it was getting rid of the junk that sprint and P1 stick you with. Versamail was flawed and crashed my Treo even if I wasnt using VersaMail! And the SPAM staring me in the face every time I looked at my PDA made me feel violated

Just in case it might do a user, contemplating on making a ROM, some good. Heres my thread on custom ROMs. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=rom+dummy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast