1.    #1  
    I am trying to determine the best way to hook up the Treo into a factory radio (Grand Cherokee) with no line input or aux input. I know that there are a lot of iPod kits out there that work by utilizing the changer port in the back of the factory radio, but I haven't found any such product for the Treo. A product that plugs into the changer port and just provides a line in jack should work (wouldn't have to be Treo specific) but I haven't found anything like this.

Is anyone familiar with a product that might work or a site to look at? I've tried rcainput.com, but couldn't find anything that looked like it would work.
    I've looked at www.pie.net and www.blitzsafe.com (as well as rcainput.com) in the past, and a Grand Cherokee is pretty common, so i'd think they probably have some stuff that would work. They don't sell direct to end users, so you'll have to use their dealer locators to find an authorized dealer in your area. The dealer should stand behind the installation and make sure you're satisifed with the result.
    Dave
    LogJam Electronics sells both the P.I.E. and Blitz (as well as Soundgate) aux input convertors for a variety of cars. They have a whole page for Chyrsler/Dodge/Plymouth/Eagle/Jeep vehicles.

This is where I got the convertor for my F-150, and its a pretty easy install.

Most of these "give" you a pair of RCA jacks, so the other thing you'll need is an RCA to 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. Supposedly, you can get RCA to 2.5mm cables, but they're hard to come by.
    I am still using a casette adapter in my '99 Grand Cherokee which works just fine. Best solution I have found so far. Ig your GC radio has the buttons for CD changer control - then you can use a PIE or Blitz.
    Why not just use an FM RF converter? You'll need a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adapter, but then you can use any portable RF converter. I have a little si link I purchased at Best Buy for a few dollars. It runs on 2 AAA batteries and last for many hours per set. It plugs into the headphone jack and then you pick 1 of the 4 FM frequencies it can broadcast on. Finally you tune your FM radio in to the selected frequency and voila you have Treo over your radio for MP3 listening. I use this solution with my Garmin iQue 3600 although I don't need the jack adapter for that PDA.
    Signal-to-noise ratio is higher for casette adapter than FM modulator.

But FM modulator is easy.
    FM modulators don't work so well in large metropolitan areas where there's commercial activity on every available FM frequency.
    You know, I thought that might be a problem, the FM transmitter and driving through cities, but I drove from a town about 15 miles south of Boston all the way down to New Jersey (I-95 most of the way); basically I drove through Providence, RI, New Haven, CT, and NYC, and the only problem that I had is every so often I would have to change stations.
    I got a PIE connector for my Honda Civic through LogJam a few years ago to hook up my iRiver H120 to the CD changer input on my factory radio. I've used the 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter to play MP3s from my treo, so I can say that that solution works.

I tried the FM Modulator but the sound quality wasn't that good in the large metropolis where I live.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to the LogJam site, and wasn't sure if their product would work for me as I've got an '05 Cherokee, and their adapters seem to only be good up through the '04 models.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html

Any ideas if it is compatible with the '05 Cherokee?
  11.    #11  
    Just talked to Logjam, and it turns out it isn't compatible and there is no P.I.E interface for the '05 Cherokee, so it looks like I'm stuck with either a FM modulator or transmitter unless someone has any other suggestions.
    I just bought an FM modulator for my 650 lastnight. I love it so far. It's not a cheapy and doesn't limit you to like 4 bands... I can choose any band from 88.1 to 107.9 including the even ones like 101.2 but I just dun' know how to get my radio on that one lol
    I'm in Newport News, VA which is a medium sized city. The entire area of Hampton Roads is considered a metropolis I think, but just not as dense as other ones.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    What about something like the Beamit 450 from http://www.myirock.com/ ? I've not tried it, but saw it mentioned on another thread.