1.    #1  
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how my Sprint Treo 650 could work relatively well for over a year and then all of a sudden have a piece of the ROM get screwed up and not work for one application and require replacement? Is that possible? My Treo works fine otherwise. I am perplexed as to why I need to get a whole new device all of a sudden. Thoughts?

Here are the details: I've used Goodlink software to get my corporate email and calendar for over six months (various versions) with minimal problems. Tried to upgrade to 4.5 using OTA and my problems started. The first attempt at the upgrade worked well for about a month. Then, I started getting fatal errors. I tried soft resets, hard resets, everything. After much discussion with my internal tech support and the GoodGuy on this forum, it appears that this is an issue that has cropped up with other users and the response from the Goodlink folks is that something is wrong with my ROM and I need to get a new phone.

Does that make sense? Is it my fault that the phone's ROM got messed up? It seems to me that the Goodlink software corrupted something, no?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn14
    It seems to me that the Goodlink software corrupted something, no?
    I would say that's the biggest possibility, but who would know for sure, and how?
    I would also ask you whether or not you have problems with the phone after a hard reset WITHOUT reinstalling ANYTHING. As in, hard rest, DO NOT HOTSYNCH. Are there any issues?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  4.    #4  
    There are no issues after a hard reset. The only issues are when I try to install Goodlink. That's where the fatal error comes in to play. The device won't even let me finish an install now for software that used to work.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Sounds wierd to me. The only other suggestion I would make is to do a clean install. This is where you hard reset, but then name your backup folder on the pc to backupold and then hotsync. You will only have your PIM data back and then will have to install ALL 3rd party software fresh from scratch. This attempts to remove any corruption you may have in 3rd party software, however caused, that may be causing the problem and may be being returned to the Treo after a hard reset via the hotsync process. The renaming of the backup folder prevents the return of the 3rd party software.

(Programs>Palm>userid>backup . . . . . to Backupold)

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    post #2

Cheers, Perry.
    Might try a Zero-Out reset instead of a Hard reset next time. Also, it's possible that not the ROM but the RAM has somehow gone bad. Good is a large program, perhaps it's using a lot of internal ram and bombs when it finds the 'bad' ram.
  7.    #7  
    what is a zero out reset? I know how to do hard resets and soft resets (done them so many times my eyes are rolling around in my head just thinking about it!) but not familiar with zero.

Thanks all.
    J.
  8.    #8  
    Update - went to sprint store and after much discussion and demonstration, they are ordering me a replacement phone. We'll see if that works.
    J.
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn14
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how my Sprint Treo 650 could work relatively well for over a year and then all of a sudden have a piece of the ROM get screwed up and not work for one application and require replacement? Is that possible? My Treo works fine otherwise. I am perplexed as to why I need to get a whole new device all of a sudden. Thoughts?

Here are the details: I've used Goodlink software to get my corporate email and calendar for over six months (various versions) with minimal problems. Tried to upgrade to 4.5 using OTA and my problems started. The first attempt at the upgrade worked well for about a month. Then, I started getting fatal errors. I tried soft resets, hard resets, everything. After much discussion with my internal tech support and the GoodGuy on this forum, it appears that this is an issue that has cropped up with other users and the response from the Goodlink folks is that something is wrong with my ROM and I need to get a new phone.

Does that make sense? Is it my fault that the phone's ROM got messed up? It seems to me that the Goodlink software corrupted something, no?
    The Rom cannot be corrupted by OTA downloads. Also, here are directions on how to do a zero-out reset:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <moved to goodlink forum since appears to be an issue with corrupted good software>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions