1.    #1  
    hello people. like most of you i was very interested in getting wav ringtones to work so that i didnt have to dirty up my 650 with a 3rd party application. i am also a new treo user (a month) and like some of you, i dont have a data plan due to the high cost of verizon's plan(hoping they lower the cost to compete with sprint) or any bluetooth devices. therefore, this thread will help those that cant EMAIL themselves the song or dont have $$$ for all the amazing stuff that bluetooth can do.

i have read SOOO many threads on this ringtone issue and with many people on this forum helping me, it finally worked for me. hope this helps and is good enough...i feel it is my duty to help those like i have been helped:

1. download blaze media pro. it has a 15 day free trial. i edited about 15 ringtones this morning in 45 min.

2. open blaze media and click on "conversions" at the top and go to "convert to wav". then press "edit audio" on the right side. this brings up the audio editor window.

3. go to file open and pick a song that is in the supported format.

4. the song will open. use the yellow bar to delete certain parts of the songs so that you have the small (about 7-20 sec) peice of the song you want. i usually use the chorus or something like that. (hint: using the spacebar is an easy way to start and stop playing the song while u are recording)

5. once the song is down to only the part you want click "save as".

6. save the song as whatever you want. the audio editor will show a window called the wav quality settings. i did all mine on 16khz, mono, 16-bit. i didnt notice any degredation of sound quality but i heard that if u go any lower you will notice.

7. find the file you just saved and right click(for PCs ofcourse)and go to properties. with my understanding the file had to be less then 600KB. most of mine are about 330KB to 500KB. if it is too big then delete more of the song or you can try to change the quality but sound degredation might occur.

8. drag the file/files you made for ringtones to your "quick install" on your palm desktop program.

9. do a hotsync.

10. go to versamail and select new. press menu button then go to "options" then "attachment". go to "files on card" then "all files". find the files you want and press "add" then "done" when you are finished.

11. press menu button and then "save to drafts"

12. go to versamail again and go to top right where it says inbox and select "drafts"

13. find the one you just did and at the bottom should be all the files you added as attachments. with the stylus press and hold on the yellow icon next to the attchement and click on "select viewer".

14. select "sounds". then it has you confirm the name of the file (change it to whatever you want. then press ok

15. it takes a little bit to transfer the file to your ringtones.

16. your ringtone list comes up and the file should be in there. tap it to test to make sure it sounds like what you wanted.

THERE YOU GO. hope i didnt forget any steps and it works for everyone especially those data plan/bluetooth challenged people like myself.
    Well, I just found out that I can't do this anymore. Everything works fine til the point where you "select viewer"...."sounds" is no longer an available option.

I tried the sd card save and then transfer from the SD card. That didn't work either.

I have the sprint 650 with the latest firmware installed. Any suggestions on a workaround.

Thanks!!!
    Mine's fine. Using a unlocked GSM with APR 1.20 ROM.
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Well, I just found out that I can't do this anymore. Everything works fine til the point where you "select viewer"...."sounds" is no longer an available option.

I tried the sd card save and then transfer from the SD card. That didn't work either.

I have the sprint 650 with the latest firmware installed. Any suggestions on a workaround.

Thanks!!!
    If you are a Sprint customer then at Update 1.12 Sprint removed that option. Search here for the work around.