Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well...the New Year is here and like many of you my resolution is to loose weight. As my friend often says..it is my wife who feels the weight :-)

Jokes apart...what is the best diet and exercise program that works on palm and syncs with the desktop too.

Venkat
    *Probably* the first Treo user from Mumbai.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use Diet Diary & have had good luck. http://www.calorieking.com/
    I have a copy of Vivonic Fitness Trainer for Palm. She used it for awhile and liked it a lot, but then decided she liked her filofax better than her palm. I'll send you the CD for $10 if you want it.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I've used a few out there... bought Vivonic, and couldn't stand it (you can't add new food items from the Palm, only the desktop). Tried out the ever-popular Diet & Exercise Assistant, but it just didn't feel right.

So, I ended up using RMRDiet, and with it's help I lost 90 lbs (roughly 40 kg). It doesn't sync to a desktop component, but does have some pretty powerful diet/weight/exercise tracking. I also appreciated that I could track more nutrients beyond the standard carbs/protein/fats.

Of course, with any of these options, the important thing to remember is just to track *everything* you eat. If you don't know the calories for some item, make an honest guess, or make a note of it and track down the best information you can online at later point. So long as you know how many calories per day you're looking to consume in order to steadily lose weight, then it really doesn't matter which tool you use, so long as you're writing it down, and stopping once you've reached your target for the day (drinking lots of water will help you feel full, among its other benefits).

If I were you, I'd try out all these various apps for a while (most, if not all, have free trials), and see which one seems the most intuitive to *you*. After all, they pretty much all do the same thing, and it's just keeping track of what you're eating (in relation to your target) that really matters. I lost a lot of weight using RMRDiet... my wife also lost a great deal of weight, but tracked everything on a small pad of paper. It's not the tool that matters, it's the method.

Good luck!
    I use DietPower. It has a PC version only, NOT a Palm version, but is very, very good. You set your starting weight and goal weight, and the app makes slight adjusts to your calorie limit depending on your exercise performed and metabolic rate.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    None of these fancy programs are going to help, if you don't get to the gym. That is the start, you can fine tune your diet later, in fact if you do exercise regularly and drink tons of water, you will find your body craves the right foods. If you had the self control to change EVERYTHING on day one, then you wouldn't have a weight issue to begin with.

GET TO THE GYM
  7.    #7  
    Folks,
    Thanks for all the replies. Just so that you know, I started 2005 with a firm resolve to loose some weight. I began the year at 72 kgs ( 158 lbs ) and ended the year at 65 kgs ( 143 lbs ) For my height of 5'4" it is kind of OK, but I want to loose about 2-3 more kgs ( 7 to 10 lbs ) but I am kind of hitting a plateau.

So therefore my need to have some tools to improve my level of motivation.

Also I will be running a half marathon this coming Sunday the 15th.

Cheers and still looking for more feedback on tool.

Venkat

PS: Know any sites that gives calorie intake of most common Indian foods?
    *Probably* the first Treo user from Mumbai.
    I use a now defunct software that used to be popular but the guy just stopped supporting it. I was even in personal contact with him for awhile but he just didnt have time to support it and his REAL job. It was called "weights" for palm. He did add a desktop and a cardio app. They both sync to the desktop. The cardio is customizable to be able to track anything so you could feasably(sp?) track diet with it too.

If you want it let me know pm me and I can try to figure out a way to send you the startup exe for the whole lot.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    If you are doing the Body for life Then I have a great program for you... PalmBFL. it's a little old and has almost no 5-way support but it does have a desktop version to play along with the Palm.

http://www.cellica.com/palmbfl.htm

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    PS: Know any sites that gives calorie intake of most common Indian foods?
    www.calorieking.com has a great database of foods. I'm not sure if it would have foods from India, though.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have been using Diet and Excersise assistant now for 3 months and I have lost nearly 20lbs.
    In 2002 or was it 2003 I used Diet and Exercise Assistant to track my efforts and I lost 40 pounds in 6 months. Not that I am gonna credit the program for my success but I found it extremely useful to track my carb / fat / protein balance (I try for 60-20-20) and it does an outstanding job with regard to my exercise regimen. I also use a heart rate monitor to track my mountain biking (my wife thinks I am suicidal being 51 years old and engaged in this sport) and would take the output from the HRM and insert it into the exercise section to track my efforts.

Started with Version 3 by the way, now using Version 6. Most f the programs I looked at did an acceptable job with the diet end but were rather poor on the exercise end. You can enter any missing data into the db from www.caloriesperhour.com

Great interface, great usability, output to windows, imports to spreadsheets alle easy. If I could wish for one thing it would be direct data uplink from my HRM. Oh one more thing, haven't been charged any upgrade price going from version 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 which I thot was way cool.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    make sure you visit the bodybuilding.com forums forum.bodybuilding.com
    great forum. tons of info. I love working out and I went from 200LB 23% bodfat to 175LB 12%bf and counting. My goal is 175-180 with 9% bf. Its been quite a year. I'm 6 feet though so height vs. weight is ok for me in this case.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

If you use the Diet and Exercise Assistant here is a forum for that product.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/KDEA/

Have used the program for 6 months and am very happy. But I would be real interested in how you added to the food database from other sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    None of these fancy programs are going to help, if you don't get to the gym. That is the start, you can fine tune your diet later, in fact if you do exercise regularly and drink tons of water, you will find your body craves the right foods. If you had the self control to change EVERYTHING on day one, then you wouldn't have a weight issue to begin with.

GET TO THE GYM
    heh! yeah, that may be true, however, weight loss is yet another a great way to rationalize adding yet another toy for the Treo! heh!

Maybe Shadowmite can work up a way we can beam or BT transfer our weight out of our bellies? ...er maybe not.
    My wife used Diet & Exercise Assistant (www.keyoe.com) to lose 20 lbs for our wedding and found it very helpful.
    i've been using diet & exercise assistant since 1/1/06 and have lost 15 lbs. its cool cause u can input the exercise u do and it recalculates daily calories. large DB of foods and exercises. u can add ur own to the databases.

tons of ways to look at ur data. nice & encouraging to know at end
    of day u will lose weight

17 more lbs to go!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    i've been using diet & exercise assistant since 1/1/06 and have lost 15 lbs. its cool cause u can input the exercise u do and it recalculates daily calories. large DB of foods and exercises. u can add ur own to the databases.

tons of ways to look at ur data. nice & encouraging to know at end
    of day u will lose weight

17 more lbs to go!

Plus it has things like, mowing the lawn, golf, and even sex and records how many calories you burn.
    Bah. I tried Calorie King and the instruction manual was so confusing I couldn't figure out how to enter any foods (the website is riddled with 404 errors and also didn't have any info on data entry). Diet and Exercise Assistant is not OSX-compatible.

Sigh. Dammit. I REALLY want a calorie tracker for the 650 and I am hitting nothing but a brick wall.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast