Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I sometimes lend my treo to people who just want to play a game or two but nevertheless often end up fiddling with the keys and either bringing grief to it or just a few anxious moments to me.
    is there a program to restrict another's use to a program or a batch of programs of my choosing?
    or any other way to limit the damage in such a scenario?

geoff
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    you can use YAHM with psHack.

http://yahm.palmoid.com/
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion, but while it looks like it SHOULD do what i want (by locking the device onto a single program), for reasons detailed below I am unable to set a System password to use with PSHack, which is a problem not just for using this program but the device generally.

This should also serve as a warning for those who might, like me, rush things a bit while trying to implement this program. The PSHack (Paranoid Security) works (at least partly) via a password security lock (System Security) that is an inbuilt part of the Treo system. I'd never used it before, and had definitely never set a password for it.

I therefore thought that during the set-up for PSHACK I would be prompted for such a password. I wasnt!! From my readings of other TC posts on the topic of System Lockout, it seems the System can automatically provide a default password, which is *sometimes* the last four digits of your "phone #". I say sometimes because it wasn't in my case. And thus I was faced with a complete lockdown of the treo - presented with a "System Lockout" screen and there's nothing you can do without the password.

I tried every possible combination of the phone numbers of the three SIM cards Ive had in the phone since purchase to no avail.

The only solution is to hard reset, and restore. Luckily I have BackUpMan do an auto backup each night at 3am, so no great pain. Interestingly I left the device overnight to see if BackUpMan would do its thing while in lockdown mode - it does. But when one tries to restore from the most recent backup you end up with the same system lockout. No real problem -I just had to go back and restore from the previous day's backup.

This ability of the Tre600 to set up its own passwords seems to have caused other people grief too:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-58990.html

In an effort to prevent any similar occurence and to actually be able to use PSHack, I decided to set my OWN password. But this is not possible either. When I go to the Security setup screen I still find my password has been "Assigned"! There did appear to be a provision to deal with this situation (or a forgotten pw)- at least in the pre-lockout phase- one clicks on "Assigned" under "Password" on the Security setup screen and the forthcoming dialogue box has a "Lost Password" button, which says it will do the trick. But it doesnt either, the password still appears as "Assigned".

So at this stage I appear stuck with some password that I never assigned and which I can't make go away. This doesnt prevent me using the device now, because the device is set to "Auto-Lock Never" but it does prevent me from using PSHack or any other System Password-requiring activity.

Any clues?

cheers

geoff