Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm looking at mSafe for security, and saw some significant issues for some with latest release. Are others using mSafe with a 650 without problems?!
    I installed it about a month ago, but was unable to get it to work. Specifically, the SMS triggered security feature.
    No problems over the last year with my 650 on Sprint. I did some testing when I first installed it to make sure it worked, but haven't needed to remote lock or wipe since then. Did run into some issues with the 3.0 beta versions where I lost the keyboard input but that was fixed in 3.5. I'm now running 3.8 and know that at least the lock on reset or lock on phone off features work since that happens daily.

If you have another app that traps/parses sms messages, it could be a problem with that app or a combination of msafe and that app not playing well together.
    I installed the most recent version and a fairly new/clean treo. No hacks and very little software. I tested the SMS trigger. It did lock, but then the Treo became extremely unstable and kept locking-up and re-setting. Had to hard reset and reinstall all.
    Bought, Installed, Tested, no problems.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    I installed the most recent version and a fairly new/clean treo. No hacks and very little software. I tested the SMS trigger. It did lock, but then the Treo became extremely unstable and kept locking-up and re-setting. Had to hard reset and reinstall all.
    I second that. I got it installed and it worked i.e. tested sms trigger but it caused many resets and lock ups so I removed it and it I've essentially become reset free.

TS
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback. Also, I'm I correct that if the phone is off, or out of range, the SMS lock or wipe feature is then useless, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Thanks for the feedback. Also, I'm I correct that if the phone is off, or out of range, the SMS lock or wipe feature is then useless, right?

Correct. (Until the phone is turned back on or becomes in range of service.)

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    That's what the "lock on wireless mode off" and "lock on lost network coverage" options are for. At least it'll be locked even if you can't do a remote wipe. The "disable (SD) when locked" would prevent them from popping out the sd card so it's protected as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    The "disable (SD) when locked" would prevent them from popping out the sd card so it's protected as well.
    Now that is amazing software!!!!!!!

Umm... I don't own Msafe, but I can definately tell you that it does NOT do this!
    My humble and sincere apologies - sxtg is absolutely correct. I consider bad information even worse than no info at all, so I broke my own rule . I guess my fingers got ahead of my brain.

Since no app (I am aware of) has the feature, I have to assume that PalmOS doesn't have an API to the SD slot hardware, so it must not be possible to have it software-controlled (other than unmounting).

From the mSafe manual, this is what the option is supposed to do (can't test it myself right now):
    If you check the option titled “Disable when locked” under the “SD Card replacement” section, mSafe will disable the replacement of the SD Card when the device is locked. The SD Card that was active at the moment when the Treo is locked will remain active, but as soon as it is removed the system will not accept a new card until the device is unlocked.

This option is useful if you have, for example, some kind of backup application that periodically makes the backups of your information on the SD Card. With option checked, your backup software will remain functional even when the device is locked, but it will be impossible for the intruder to run some other application that could steal your data by running it from some other SD Card (Note: PalmOS will automatically launch the application named “Start.prc” on any SD Card as soon as the SD Card is inserted. The intruder may use this feature to insert the SD Card with a malicious application and steal your data even when the device is locked. This scenario becomes impossible with this option checked.)

You can also disable the currently active SD Card at the moment of locking, by selecting the “Unmount” option at the “SMS Settings” form described below.
    BTW - I really hate being an ***** - even when it's temporary.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    BTW - I really hate being an ***** - even when it's temporary.
    Don't beat yourself up! I thouhgt it was kinda funny
    Thanks. Snif, snif, I feel better now.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"
    Al Franken as Stuart Smalley