Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which is better? Right now, it's close, but I'm thinking Central.
    Central is, I believe, a blatant copy of Butler's functionalty. Butler originated the genre, the developer is very responsive to user requests and bug reports, and has been a valued member of Treocentral. He deserves your money.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I agree completely.

There have been a couple of other cases where someone comes along and does a blatant copy of an app without adding significant differentiating features. While that developer has a right to do it, IMHO they'll never rise above an unimaginative ripoff deserving no respect whatsoever.

Many of the developers here are doing their dev and customer support on their own time with their own resources separate from their "day job". The ones who blaze a trail and support their customers via these forums are the only ones who deserve to be rewarded.
  4.    #4  
    I realized they were basically the same, but I didn't put much thought into who was first. Being that they're both affordable, and the same thing, i'd go with the original-Butler.
    Yes, Butler has history. Unless Central was significantly cheaper and offered the same upgrade path that Butler does, there's no way I'd pick it.

Plus Central is well known to really slow the Treo down on event heavy things like games. None of those boo-hoo-palminternals-says stuff, but actual slowdowns.
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I tried Central just to see what was different, and the only real added feature was the remote lock, while it was lacking many of Butler's other features. Now that Butler has remote lock, I think it's a no-contest. Plus the developer of Butler is great and I feel more secure that updates will happen and bugs will be fixed.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I don't hear too much chatter here about Bluefish's Central... I came across it because I was looking for a better way to turn the radio on and off at scheduled times.

I tried ScheduleCare, Treo-Guard and another app I can't recall and then someone recomended Central.

It is a great app. Multiple profiles can be created for turning on and off. The same for Do Not Disturb. There is a utility for Launching Favorites...to launch your favorite app with a single key press and hold..no matter where you are. No need to go back to Z-Launcher, Launcher X or the app launcher.

There are Super Alarms that will over-ride the DND settings, a minute tracker ( ) a one touch setting to send all calls to VM, A Side Button control utility, a Bug me utility that bugs you about missed calls or activites...more then just a flashing asterick.

Pressing and holding the menu button brings a command bar with mini apps appropriate for the app you in...

And my favorite...Kill SMS. Victim of a lost or stolen Treo? [raises hand] Send an SMS to your Treo from another device, including a user defined text string, and your Treo's SD card is formatted, and then a hard reset is performed and finally the phone is disabled.

I put my contact info and reward inside under the battery since Kill SMS will also wipe out Owner info... but talk about protecting delicate data...

=======edited=======

I wrote this review with no knowledge of the features of Butler... I has posted here, on the T650 forum looking for a clean uncluttered app that would shut the radio off at scheduled times... No one mentioned Butler. A post on another forum alerted me to Central.

My notes above are spot on as they relate to Central and all in all I like it and rely on quite a bit... That said, I am all for supporting those who support us, the end user...

I'll give Butler a try...just because.
    Last edited by MikeM; 01/13/2006 at 09:55 PM.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    The launch anywhere feature in Central will only work with applications, not phone numbers. The developer is no where near as responsive. I asked them about some possible features a couple of months ago. They said they were working on *exactly* those features, as well as fixing the quick dial (phone number) issue. I've seen no update, no fix, and no new features.

In short: support Butler.
    what is Central? Butler Rocks!!!! It's the most useful tool after Volumecare.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    There's not much talk about Central here. But there is in the correct forum.

Besides, it's pretty well regarded as a cheap ripoff of Butler.
    cheap ripoff of butler
    The "cheap ripoff" talk seems awfully dismissive and, frankly, rude. Butler, which I own and like, doesn't do 2/3 of what the poster described -- I bought mSafe for the remote data wipe and don't have anything that does the direct-to-voicemail job. I'm glad to hear about Central and will check it out. Thanks, MikeM.
  13. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    The "cheap ripoff" talk seems awfully dismissive and, frankly, rude. Butler, which I own and like, doesn't do 2/3 of what the poster described -- I bought mSafe for the remote data wipe and don't have anything that does the direct-to-voicemail job. I'm glad to hear about Central and will check it out. Thanks, MikeM.
    unlike some who are too narrow-minded to understand the concept of "alternatives", i like choices.

it's ironic that we have anti-trust law to prevent monopolistic business practice, yet some consumer themselves are too thick to embrace the freedom of choice.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Alternatives and rip-offs are different things.. Compare the two programs. He wasn't creating similar functionality, he was duplicating Butler, adding in a few features, and selling it.

There are subtle differences. Not so subtle, however, is the frequent mention of the Central author not actually fixing bugs or adding features, even though he apparently does respond to email about such things. 100% work and 0% effeciency.
    I use my freedom of choice to support an innovative responsive developer. I checked out central and it is more than inspired by butler IMHO. Use what you want.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    There's not much talk about Central here. But there is in the correct forum.

Besides, it's pretty well regarded as a cheap ripoff of Butler.
    hhhmmm...

There are no new ideas...just stolen ones that are improved upon.

Next time I think I want to share, I'll check with you first. And, now I want the last minute of my life back...on the other hand, you do.
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Alternatives and rip-offs are different things.. Compare the two programs. He wasn't creating similar functionality, he was duplicating Butler, adding in a few features, and selling it.

There are subtle differences. Not so subtle, however, is the frequent mention of the Central author not actually fixing bugs or adding features, even though he apparently does respond to email about such things. 100% work and 0% effeciency.
    I guess the entire automotive industry, Home Theatre, home furnishing, personal attire, footware, soft goods manufacturers...the whole world of consumer commerce...all fly under your radar.

You should continue to use Butler and call it a day.
    Technology Rules!
    Exactly....any software like that must come from Microsoft
  19. lua
    actually central has a clean user interface, and most options are well structured and organized. i find hobbyist softwares (butler and phone technician which i have tried) messy in terms of ui design and user experience. my 2 cents.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    <moved>

P.S. I like competition as well and Central seems like a nice app!

However, it all depends on how competing products develop and create their intellectual property. Case in point the volumcare vs Toysoft volumebooster controversey as one example of how things can go wrong...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast