Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The developer of Butler is an innovator.
    The developer of Central is a duplicator.
    The first has imagination.
    The second does not.
    Only if the second has greater technical skill than the first does Central have merit.
    Hi guys - just saw this thread. Thanks for your support!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  3. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    Hi guys - just saw this thread. Thanks for your support!
    And thank YOU for always listening to our ideas and always making your products better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem
    Only if the second has greater technical skill than the first does Central have merit.
    I agree. Being first doesn't necessarily mean always better imo. Having competition and alternatives is always good imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I found Central first when I wanted a side-button manager. I tried it for a while but scroll buttons didn't work in all apps so I downloaded the demo of Butler from Hobbyist.

Butler has more options for the scroll buttons but Central has a feature to restart the phone radio after a reset that I haven't found in Butler. Butler's side buttons work in all the apps I've tried but Central has the enable/disable button right on the main screen and a prettier interface. I don't use the super-alarms, VM controls or other stuff; I like to stay as close to stock as possible since I've got to support other people in the company with 650s. Reconfiguring the scroll buttons IMO is something that Palm should have enabled.

I'll give butler a week or three to make sure it doesn't conflict with any apps before I make my final decision. Until then, I'm happy I can make a decision.
    It is amusing how religious some people are on this forum.

The reality is that Butler is an application riddled with bugs. I should know, I was one of the very early users. Confused Vorlon is as his name suggests confused. He has never been able to fix the annoying lost preferences bug and really did little with Butler over the last 12 months until Central arrived on the scene. Butler dominated the scene and he got lazy. Central is published by one of the biggest Palm software developers and it shows. There support is excellent as is there product.

In my opinion Central is a far superior application. I no longer have issues with my Treo regularly crashing as I have deleted Butler. Central is a well thought out application. I would like to note that the last Butler update is basically a copy of the features present in Central that were not in Butler.

I am no religious zealot, competition is good for everyone and supporting the competition so that the overall market improves is good for everyone. It is interesting that Palm doesn't sell Butler. I wonder if that is because of all the known issues?
    Hopefully this won't come across as "religous", but my experience over the last (nearly) two years has been very positive with Butler. Likely we use different features, have different apps installed and are on different carriers but I respectfully disagree with the characterization.
    - I have over 100 apps installed and have suffered from the POS dbCache limitations. As a software developer having spent significant effort to debug the issues, I honestly don't believe the 'lost prefs' bug is caused by Butler. Rather, other posts have indicated it happens without Butler ever being installed on both the 650 and LifeDrive. In fact, Resco has separately reported and confirmed at least one root cause being the latest POS 'rogue Exchange entries' bug which was there before Butler existed. I think the developer has made serious efforts to help us workaround/prevent these POS problems by adding a method to auto-fix the 'rogue Exchange entries' and more recently, a new approach to auto-save the prefs files via the PrefDoctor app. To me, he's going above and beyond to help prevent a very annoying bug in the OS.
    - If you look at the Butler change log, there have been many features added throughout the year - long before Central arrived

I'm honestly glad Central works for you. Just wanted to throw in my more positive experience.
    Butler caused my treo to crash frequently so I had to uninstall even tho I really liked it. I may try out central.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious joe
    It is interesting that Palm doesn't sell Butler. I wonder if that is because of all the known issues?
    Actually it's because I wasn't willing to agree to their terms which (amongst other things) specifically excluded me from being able to communicate directly with any customers who were having problems.

Moreover it was my unwillingness to agree to Palm's terms that triggered the creation of Central.

Anyway - I am hopeful that Palm and I will be able to settle our differences and you will see butler in the Palm store in future.

As to know issues - I actually have a very short bug list at the moment with nothing that I'd call major. If I've missed something, please do hop over to
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?board=17.0
    and let me know.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    Butler caused my treo to crash frequently so I had to uninstall even tho I really liked it. I may try out central.
    Me too and Central slows down the Treo. I don't use either program now. My Treo is much happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by kigmatzomat
    Butler has more options for the scroll buttons but Central has a feature to restart the phone radio after a reset that I haven't found in Butler.
    Install PowerUp, problem fixed.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Me too and Central slows down the Treo. I don't use either program now. My Treo is much happier.
    I can't say I have seen any perceptable decrease in perfromance with Central....can you be more specific??
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Sure:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=456

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&page=1&pp=20

You may not notice the speed change until you do something intensive on the Treo. The picture/image browser, file browser in Docs2go, and games are three things slowed down by the inefficiencies in Central and other programs that abuse hede. Butler has approximately 1/10 the overhead of Central.
    I have been a Butler zealot for over two years now thru the 600 and the 650. Without a doubt THE BEST piece of software I have for the treo and very reasonably priced.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
  16.    #36  
    After using Butler on the trial basis (still have a few days left), i may switch to Central only because of the annoying "please register now" reminders. Every time I touch something on the Treo, i get a reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianarodgers
    After using Butler on the trial basis (still have a few days left), i may switch to Central only because of the annoying "please register now" reminders. Every time I touch something on the Treo, i get a reminder.
    You're going to switch because a program that you've NOT registered is reminding you to register????

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by swilcox
    You're going to switch because a program that you've NOT registered is reminding you to register????

Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.
    No, b/c they're sending me too many gd reminders. I KNOW after 14 days, I either have to register (pay for it), or get rid of the program. . One (or 2) reminders are sufficient. Not EVERY TIME I DO ANYTHING WITH MY PHONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianarodgers
    No, b/c they're sending me too many gd reminders. I KNOW after 14 days, I either have to register (pay for it), or get rid of the program. . One (or 2) reminders are sufficient. Not EVERY TIME I DO ANYTHING WITH MY PHONE.
    I though the developer changed that behavior so it wouldn't nag until about 10 days in, then it would increase the frequency after 14 days, never really expiring, just getting annoying. You might want to ask him about that, maybe he can fix it for you....
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I though the developer changed that behavior so it wouldn't nag until about 10 days in, then it would increase the frequency after 14 days, never really expiring, just getting annoying. You might want to ask him about that, maybe he can fix it for you....
    I think I read it suppose to do that too...but I'm trying out butler, I8, and Phone technician right now....I got the reminders within the first hour. It's not really bothering me though (at least not yet)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast