Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was playing with my friend's T|X the other day and although I loved the extra space on the large screen, I couldn't get used to not having a thumbboard anymore. After staring wildly at my Treo and making little thumb-measuring-maneuvers for a couple of minutes I realised the 650 could actually fit a 320x480 screen if the speaker was moved up a bit.

Have a look at my mutated image, compared to the original 650 next to it:
    http://www.1step2france.co.uk/mx5/images/treolong.jpg
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    That would be awesome. Too bad it will never be a reality.
    NICE!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This would be a fantastic device!

Russell
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I was playing with my friend's T|X the other day and although I loved the extra space on the large screen, I couldn't get used to not having a thumbboard anymore. After staring wildly at my Treo and making little thumb-measuring-maneuvers for a couple of minutes I realised the 650 could actually fit a 320x480 screen if the speaker was moved up a bit.

Have a look at my mutated image, compared to the original 650 next to it:
    http://www.1step2france.co.uk/mx5/images/treolong.jpg
    checkmate,

Is this a sneak preview of the Hollywood? What ever it is, it looks great. Lose the antenna too. Great
    Good Job
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    That's an awesome looking mockup. My only question is, can you somehow get the design so that when you stick the phone to your ear you don't leave ear grease on the touchscreen? It makes playing Bejewled2 really messy after taking a phone call...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    yep. I'd sure love to see one like this too. I've got similar photoshop pics to this in a thread found in the "future treos" forum.

the problem is the screen could never be placed so close to the magnet which is located just below the speaker. they'd interfere. but you bet I'd buy a treo with that screen in a flash.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    what i think would be nice woudl be a job dial type thing on the sdie of phone like the blackberry or P910a. I love that little dial that allows you to scroll and select icons.. Also it increases one handed use also.
    I had heard the new treo will have this size screen but with a sliding keyboard, that when its retracted leaves you with the current treo screen size.
    the problem is the screen could never be placed so close to the magnet which is located just below the speaker. they'd interfere. but you bet I'd buy a treo with that screen in a flash.
    I disagree. If the screen was CRT the speaker magnet would interfere. For LCD this is not an issue. I've seen plenty of Windows Mobile based phones with the speaker very close to the screen (almost the same layout, except with a slider keyboard). I think the design is definitely do-able....but I agree with the comments about getting ear grease all over the screen.....yuck.
    CRT screens on cellphone bite. I'll never buy one of those again.
    LOL...yeah...can you imagine a hybrid of the original Sony Watchman and a cell phone???
  13.    #13  
    I think it's hard not to get ear grease on any phone screen really. I usually give mine a wipe with my sleeve.
    Is this a sneak preview of the Hollywood?
    No, I just had a play with the pic on the right in Paint Shop Pro, to see what it would look like. I think i'll have a go at making it matt black, like the T|X.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    I think it's hard not to get ear grease on any phone screen really. I usually give mine a wipe with my sleeve.

No, I just had a play with the pic on the right in Paint Shop Pro, to see what it would look like. I think i'll have a go at making it matt black, like the T|X.
    You did a great job checkmate.
    You should work for Palm designing future Treos.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I think it's looks better then it would actually feel against your ear.
    That is a great mockup, good job!

However, I actually do not covet larger screen real estate. I had a Tungsten T and then a Tungsten T3 before my 650. I thought I'd miss the larger screen, but I don't. When I thought about why I wasn't missing it, turns out that very little software (at the time) took advantage of the extra screen space. Certainly none of the medical software I use took advantage of it. Now I bet e-mail and web would benefit from larger screen, but only by a small amount. Webpages on Blazer are awkward on 320x320, and a little more screen space wouldn't fix the problem. A slightly larger window pane to see more of an e-mail message would be nice, but e-mail is not a major app on my 650. So I'm ok with the current screen. And since that 50% larger screen would suck 50% more power (at least) and run down the battery faster, maybe the 320x320 isn't so bad after all.

Just my two cents, worth about as much as advertised.
    -- josh
  17.    #17  
    Thinking about it, I guess the 320x320 resolution isn't really an issue, but I would like a larger screen. It's be nice if the 650 screen filled that extra 5mm border on either side.

Having said that, I do envy the Tungsten/pocket PC 'widescreen' LCDs when watching movies. My Dad has a pocket PC and, despite its lower resolution, movies and images appear better simply because they're bigger.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    When you get beyond your 40s/50s you want all screens to be bigger or better resolution. This is where the 700w took a step back.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Change the buttons to be closer to the 700w make a smaller antenna, and you jusst might be right as to where the next one will be.

Very good job. Something has to change with the speaker though, design wise its fine, but a magnet that close to the screen will eventually cause and issue unless shielded somehow.

Live Faith has some competition in the "I wish Palm made that design" category

EDIT: not that I miss teh screen of my T5 or anything, I just want to use that screen with everything else my Treo has (minus RAM, that should come from T5 too).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  20.    #20  
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast