1.    #1  
    Still getting acquainted with new Treo 650. I can't imagine that this hasn't been addressed, but a search of the forum didn't turn up what I need. My contacts are sorted by company, last name. Let's say I am looking for a cmpany named Fox Valley Tanning. I type f, o, x and the name of another contact - John Fox - comes up. I the type a space and a v but no matter what I do, Fox Valley will not come up on the screen. I have used palm OS devices for years and I've never seen this type of problem. Any ideas?
  2.    #2  
    As there are no replies to this inquiry, could I please ask if a few of you would take a look at the functionality of the built-in contact software on your Treos and let me know if you are seeing the same functionality as I described in my original post. I'm wondering if I have a unique problem. Thanks.
    You have a name associated with the Fox Valley entry, the look up function is defaulting to the name portion of your contact. If you have no name associated with a contact -- it then looks at the company entry.

Erase the name -- and Fox Valley will then begin showing up in your look up screens.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/10/2006 at 01:59 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Yes - that could be a work-around. BUT, I then lose part of the functionalilty, don't I? I do need to have the individual's name associated with the company name. I guess the individual's name could be entered in a custom field, but then I can't look up by the individual's name unless I do a global find. Hmm, just seems like I shouldn't have to use a work-around in this case. I never had to with any other Palm OS device, including a T3 I have been using for a couple of years now. I do think this is a bug, hopefully to be fixed in a future update. If anyone can shed more light here, I'd be most appreciative.
    Under the Contacts App’s Options / Preferences, you can set the contacts to use Company, Last Name as the display option.

Hope this helps,
    Quote Originally Posted by NVFS
    Under the Contacts App’s Options / Preferences, you can set the contacts to use Company, Last Name as the display option.

Hope this helps,
    Hi NVFS!

I tried that when I investigted the problem -- that setting did not have an affect on what was presented in the look up screen as I keyed in F O X. (Maybe I did not test fully?)

It appears the look up function is geared towards name first (last name and first name), and if those fields are empty -- then it will look at Company, no matter how you have that preference set. It appears that it does not look at both fields (namefields and company fields) in its attempt to bring back matches for you -- will only bring the company field into play if the name fields are empty.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    How about creating a second entry for Fox Valley with no contact name? Then you would find the phone number by searchin on name or company.
    Great work around for now. Let's hope that Palm tweaks this function in the future to include matches on first name, last name and company!

Cheers, Perry.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the input. At least I know that I'm not the Lone Ranger on this. The folds at Palm are pretty sharp. I wonder how this got by them, or if it is just some kind of a quirk that pops up when you marry a phone with a PDA.
    I was flummoxed by the same problem. Chapura's Keysuite fixes it, as well as others, but it is rather pricey and you have to use outlook with it. I ended up shelling out an additional $100 ($70 Ketsuite $30 Outlook) above the price of the phone just to fix this silly bug. Worth every penny.
    I think that TAKEphONE fixes it, plus a lot of other Contact enhancements. Try it for free www.shsh.com
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Try Agendus - it has the functionality requested www.iambic.com
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)