Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Anyone know the answer to that subject heading?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    They're different phones?

It's an upgrade path from the 650 to the 700w/p?

It's Palm's way of enticing you to spend money on a feature you want but can't get in your current phone?

Palm's too lazy to get the SDIO drivers to work?

Palm doesn't feel like investing the time and money developing for a product that has already reached its midlife?

What kind of answer are you looking for? Are you the one person still expecting Palm to come up with a working WiFI SDIO driver? Do you really think they're going to give this to you for free when new Treos are already available with it?
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Bill Gates controls all these things. Windows gets babied along. Carriers were not going to give it to Palm so easily. A million excuses for years, now POW Windows stuff does the impossible. Its not a cover up. Who do you think controls the stock of the carriers?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    It's simple. The people who are paid by these corporations could care less about you. You're nothing but money to them. Words like "right" and "wrong" and "morals" and "earn" and "honor" do not apply. Welcome to the 21st century. Building the better mousetrap is not important. Sucking every penny from consumers is. It does not matter how easy this would be to do. It does not matter how much joy this would bring into people's lives. You are nothing but a money stream and that is all that matters.

And the resentment is growing so that I don't doubt that people like Shadowmite could take up quite a collection from 650 owners to create drivers for the 650 and send a hearty F U back to Palm and the decisionmakers. Phrases like "customer loyalty" should be reserved for liberals. 'nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    It's simple. The people who are paid by these corporations could care less about you. You're nothing but money to them. Words like "right" and "wrong" and "morals" and "earn" and "honor" do not apply. Welcome to the 21st century. Building the better mousetrap is not important. Sucking every penny from consumers is. It does not matter how easy this would be to do. It does not matter how much joy this would bring into people's lives. You are nothing but a money stream and that is all that matters.

And the resentment is growing so that I don't doubt that people like Shadowmite could take up quite a collection from 650 owners to create drivers for the 650 and send a hearty F U back to Palm and the decisionmakers. Phrases like "customer loyalty" should be reserved for liberals. 'nuff said.
    I agree with everything you said, except for the "could care less". They "couldn't care less". If they "could care less", then they care.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine to hear "could care less".

But Mize is an idealist, and is apparently holding out hope that if Palm was able to create a working onboard SDIO WiFi driver for the 700w that somehow they will feel the need to port it to the 650. Which, given Palm's track record, I don't think they feel the need, because they haven't shown much remorse in the past.
    I'm back!
    700w is much newer than 650. That's like asking "why doesn't the 53 Ford have airbags?"
    Go back and read what Slinky said.
    Eh, we have a dozen strings about WiFi, but as far as I am concerned it would be like Bluetooth - it would be in there, but I would never use it. I had WiFi in the Sony Clie I gave up before going with my T650 and but for the Gee Whiz factor I never made much use of it. Same with Bluetooth. I can sync using BT if I want to, but using the cable is so much faster I rarely do it. I'd much rather have an EVDO radio in my Treo than WiFi capability...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    WHO CARES. WRONG FORUM.

GRR.
    And once again, just because you don't use it Keefer, doesn't mean others don't need or want it! And the same goes for Bluetooth! BT comes in handy when using headsets.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ok the ice has been broken on the carrier issue...
    so explain this one...a quote from colligan

Asked why the Treo 650 does not include support for Wi-Fi, PalmOne President Ed Colligan said the company will eventually make its add-on Wi-Fi card work with the Treo 650. However, he said the company still has to write drivers to make that possible, meaning Wi-Fi support won't be there when the device launches. "We do plan on bringing that out," Colligan said.

now if you want the full article here....
    http://news.com.com/Want+a+Treo+650+...3-5425737.html

next major update...
    well bb connect alone would not be major to me, just added software(that they actually could sell separately for more money if you ask me..other than to the carriers that is)
    memory has been done with side effects to cleanup up...still minor
    updating bluetooth if possible and adding the promised as above wifi, with bbconnect and fixing memory issues.....MAJOR

there is my list...
    won't be perturbed if bluetooth isn't updated..maybe its not possible...but without the other three I have to wonder
    palm promised -wifi
    palm promised bbconnect

SO WHEN?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I agree with everything you said, except for the "could care less". They "couldn't care less". If they "could care less", then they care.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine to hear "could care less".
    Good one. Sorry slinky.
    Posted elsewhere, but when I got my Treo 600, on the box it said "support for WIFI." That same support was promised for the 650. I'm not a class action guy "cause only the lawyers get rich", but they shuoldn't have promised that support, whether some people want to use it or not.
    I'm hoping the 700p will have both EDVO and wifi. But keep in mind that you will have to pay more for EDVO and at VZ it's expensive. In my case wifi is free at home and lots of other places. We will soon have wifi citywide in New Orleans (part of the rebuilding effort and attempt to attract coventions and others back to the city.) My wife is using it now (only available to security and 1st repsonders) She says it works well.
    So I'm hoping for both.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The carriers killed WiFi inclusion on the initial release of the 650. They put pressure on Palm to NOT allow the WiFi card to work. WiFi would have killed a significant chunk of the $$$ they are making on data plans. Oh....and for the new Verizon 700w....unlimited EVDO access is approx. $50/month in addition to your voice plan (ouch!).
  16. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    The carriers killed WiFi inclusion on the initial release of the 650. They put pressure on Palm to NOT allow the WiFi card to work. WiFi would have killed a significant chunk of the $$$ they are making on data plans. Oh....and for the new Verizon 700w....unlimited EVDO access is approx. $50/month in addition to your voice plan (ouch!).
    yep. and that explain why until now there has yet to be any wifi driver for the treos from palm when they have all the time in the world to write one since the product launch.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    This isn't entirely accurate. If the carriers are capable of killing WiFi inclusion, then explain how Sprint's PPC6700 has WiFi out of the box, but Sprint's 650 doesn't. Is only the Treo capable "killing a significant chunk" of revenue, and not the PPC6700?
    I'm back!
    Actually, sprints goal is to move to mainly ALL phones having wifi... Part of a new feature they now plan to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, sprints goal is to move to mainly ALL phones having wifi... Part of a new feature they now plan to offer.
    There you go.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  20. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    ... and yet, where the f#$k is the wifi driver for treo??? it's been more than a year since the launch, i would think they have started hauling their fat asses on it by now.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast