Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lua
    ... and yet, where the f#$k is the wifi driver for treo??? it's been more than a year since the launch, i would think they have started hauling their fat asses on it by now.
    It won't exist. 700p, sure. Not on the 650.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  2. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    It won't exist. 700p, sure. Not on the 650.
    i agree, as i've said earlier. and now with enfora in the picture with the sled for the 650, palm has a good retort to any further request.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually, sprints goal is to move to mainly ALL phones having wifi... Part of a new feature they now plan to offer.
    Too bad Sprint doesn't work in Europe, China, Taiwan, Thailand, etc.
  4. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    With the enfora sled in the picture, it actually should be simple for Palm to create drivers. If Enfora does it, Palm can too.
    yes, but that would kill off the sled. between carrying a bricks and a sd card, which do you think would win?
    Actually unless it was built in WIFI, I very well may opt for the brickk sled! Otherwise you have to remove your SD card....lose all the programs installed on it.....lose saving email attachments to your SD card.....lose an hacks keep browser cache on the SD card......this is why WIFI support is a last resort and built in WIFI is so much more advantageous.
  6. lua
    hmmm. there ARE advantages with the sled, so it would seem.

still, i think palm can expect lawsuit from enfora if palm decides to change their mind and go ahead with a wifi sd card driver for treo.
    still, i think palm can expect lawsuit from enfora if palm decides to change their mind and go ahead with a wifi sd card driver for treo.
    Why, it's their product, they've been hinting at possible WiFi compatibility ever since the 650 came out, they can do whatever they want with it. Enfora has no expectance of exclusivity to WiFi on the Treo, so they have no case to sue. Who said there should only be one company per accessory for the Treo? I don't see Vaja and Krussell suing each other over being the "exclusive case provider for the Treo 650".
    I'm back!
  8. lua
    actually, palm has made it known through their customer service that there is no wifi driver plan for the treo650.

now, i am no lawyer, but i would think enfora can argue about theirs going into the business premise with the sled on that note from palm, if and when palm change their mind and decided to release a wifi driver.
    One last time, the enfora driver DOES NOT HELP! It uses the sled like a modem via AT commands. Nothing more. The sled is a entirely self contained and driven device.

But palm doesn't need help to make the driver, they could do it in a week if they wanted. The catch is they used the slightly buggy SD card IO interface built into the pxa270 and with it they didn't code their sd io driver properly. So some cards, like the wifi card, are very buggy. They don't want to spend the time fixing those routines.
    now, i am no lawyer, but i would think enfora can argue about theirs going into the business premise with the sled on that note from palm, if and when palm change their mind and decided to release a wifi driver.
    So just out of curiosity, can Microsoft sue Apple because Apple will be completely converted over to Intel chips by the end of the year? After all, Apple used to make fun of the Intel chips used in PCs for years as being inferior to the PowerPC chips they used.

Can Nvidia sue Microsoft because the Xbox used Nvidia chipsets, but for the 360, Microsoft went with ATI instead?

You don't get an expectation of exclusivity in a free market.
    I'm back!
  11. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    So just out of curiosity, can Microsoft sue Apple because Apple will be completely converted over to Intel chips by the end of the year? After all, Apple used to make fun of the Intel chips used in PCs for years as being inferior to the PowerPC chips they used.

Can Nvidia sue Microsoft because the Xbox used Nvidia chipsets, but for the 360, Microsoft went with ATI instead?

You don't get an expectation of exclusivity in a free market.
    you missed the point by a pretty long shot, man, and nvidia DID bugger microsoft for the over-production of the original xbox components. THAT is why microsoft went to ati.

i would think enfora's foray into the wifi sled business depend largely on palm's annoucement NOT to go into treo's wifi hardware business. on the contrary, ms, intel and apple would love to tell the world they don't give a f@#k what the other's are doing, and they are pretty much correct.

anytime commitment (however loosely the definition) and inter-dependecy gone bad, there is very likelihood of legal action.
    you missed the point by a pretty long shot, man, and nvidia DID bugger microsoft for the over-production of the original xbox components. THAT is why microsoft went to ati.

i would think enfora's foray into the wifi sled business depend largely on palm's annoucement NOT to go into treo's wifi hardware business. on the contrary, ms, intel and apple would love to tell the world they don't give a f@#k what the other's are doing, and they are pretty much correct.

anytime commitment (however loosely the definition) and inter-dependecy gone bad, there is very likelihood of legal action.
    No, I didn't miss the point at all. I just think you're plain wrong, or severely misinformed.

First off, Palm has NEVER publicly stated that there will never, ever be a Palm-backed WiFi driver for use with SDIO cards. Their inability to produce one, or saying that today they aren't working on it, in no way binds them to not producing one tomorrow. Thinking othewise is foolish.

Second, I can guarantee there was never any sort of deal between Palm and Enfora that Palm wouldn't attempt their own WiFi solution for the Treos. That would be foolish and extremely shortsighted of them, and just stupid business.

Enfora's foray into the WiFi market for the Treos largely depended on their ability to make money with something that people were begging for, not because of some backroom, under-the-table deal with Palm. There was an opportunity, and they took it. That's it, plain and simple. They didn't go to Colligan and ask permission, or beg them to halt production on WiFi drivers. They did it because there was an underserved market. And there was no competition. Not because they had a guarantee of no future competition.
    I'm back!
  13. lua
    No, I didn't miss the point at all. I just think you're plain wrong, or severely misinformed.

First off, Palm has NEVER publicly stated that there will never, ever be a Palm-backed WiFi driver for use with SDIO cards. Their inability to produce one, or saying that today they aren't working on it, in no way binds them to not producing one tomorrow. Thinking othewise is foolish.

Second, I can guarantee there was never any sort of deal between Palm and Enfora that Palm wouldn't attempt their own WiFi solution for the Treos. That would be foolish and extremely shortsighted of them, and just stupid business.

Enfora's foray into the WiFi market for the Treos largely depended on their ability to make money with something that people were begging for, not because of some backroom, under-the-table deal with Palm. There was an opportunity, and they took it. That's it, plain and simple. They didn't go to Colligan and ask permission, or beg them to halt production on WiFi drivers. They did it because there was an underserved market. And there was no competition. Not because they had a guarantee of no future competition.
    perhaps you are not aware of the fact that palm was emailing customers who enquired that they are not planning on wifi support for the treo. that's "public" enough for me.

as for the rest ... geez. i stand by my earlier assessment - you are missing the point. re-read what i said again, not what you IMAGINE i said.
    perhaps you are not aware of the fact that palm was emailing customers who enquired that they are not planning on wifi support for the treo. that's "public" enough for me.

as for the rest ... geez. i stand by my earlier assessment - you are missing the point. re-read what i said again, not what you IMAGINE i said.
    I've read what you've said in your previous statements, if you re-read what I've written, you'll see I've been quoting you and using your terminology.

Palm telling you they're "not planning" (which, of course, doesn't mean never) on supporting a WiFi driver doesn't mean they told Enfora to "go for it, we'll steer clear of you".

I don't know why you're having a hard time seeing why people can't equate Enfora coming to market first with a product to Palm giving them some sort of exclusivity to Enfora suing because Palm decided to provide a WiFi driver.

Palm will provide a working SDIO driver if they feel it will help their bottom line. It's working on the 700w. If and when the 700p gets released, I'm sure it will be working there too. Enfora's market for those devices is done unless they feel the sled option is a viable alternative to a SDIO card, which it might be right up until the first WiFi/1GB SDIO card gets released. Then their product becomes a paperweight. So it looks like Enfora is already in a dead-end market. I wonder if they can sue Palm for innovating and rolling out new models.
    I'm back!

Palm's too lazy to get the SDIO drivers to work?

Actually, it is up to the 3rd party manufacturers to write the drivers, not Palm. They did not do so b/c it is too difficult to write such drivers for PalmOS Garnet/Cobalt. The lack of driver support was afterall one the major reasons for the failure of Cobalt FYI and it is also one the main reasons for the acquistion of CMS by Palmsource and the development of Palm Linux by now Access Palmsource group....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. lua
    I've read what you've said in your previous statements, if you re-read what I've written, you'll see I've been quoting you and using your terminology.

Palm telling you they're "not planning" (which, of course, doesn't mean never) on supporting a WiFi driver doesn't mean they told Enfora to "go for it, we'll steer clear of you".

I don't know why you're having a hard time seeing why people can't equate Enfora coming to market first with a product to Palm giving them some sort of exclusivity to Enfora suing because Palm decided to provide a WiFi driver.

Palm will provide a working SDIO driver if they feel it will help their bottom line. It's working on the 700w. If and when the 700p gets released, I'm sure it will be working there too. Enfora's market for those devices is done unless they feel the sled option is a viable alternative to a SDIO card, which it might be right up until the first WiFi/1GB SDIO card gets released. Then their product becomes a paperweight. So it looks like Enfora is already in a dead-end market. I wonder if they can sue Palm for innovating and rolling out new models.
    lol. when i see people pulling monkeys out of their posterior, it's time to more on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12