1.    #1  
    Even though I've been following discussions on treocentral for years, this is the first time I feel compelled to post a message.

I've been using Palm devices since 1998, and I currently use an unlocked GSM Treo 650. A few days ago, in the middle of a phone call, my screen got all blurry and the keyboard became inoperative. I had completely lost control of my device. I tried a soft reset, nothing. So I removed the battery. The initial Palm screen would come up, but after anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds, the screen would go all blurry again, and the boot process would stop.

I figured the device was a goner, so I put it in my briefcase (with the battery removed) and went about my business. A couple of hours later, I put the battery back in, and, to my amazement, everything worked fine. For the next 2 days, I had no problems. Still, I searched all the online forums I could think of, but couldn't find anything similar to this. So I called PalmOne Support. They suggested it might be third party software issue and suggested a hard reset if the problem reappears.

Sure enough, the next day the problem came back. This time it was much more random with a cycle that can be described as follows:
    - remove the battery repeatedly until the device boots up (sometimes it took 3 tries, sometimes 15 or more);
    - use the device until it fails again (anywhere from a few minutes to a day or more);
    - repeat.

I performed a hard reset, but that didn't seem to make any difference; I had the same problem even when the device was fresh from the hard reset (before any HotSync operations were done). So I called PalmOne again, and initiated an Advanced Exchange (fortunately, my warranty is still in effect, but just barely). In the meantime, I've gone back to using my old Nokia cellphone, which now seems ancient by comparison.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this problem before? The problem seems to get better after I let the device sit for a few hours without a battery in it. I'm at a loss here. My best guess is that there is a loose connection somewhere, and it acts up when the device gets warm from use. Note that this was one of the first unlocked GSM 650s (I got it in February 2005), and it had lots of issues in the beginning, but 1.13 fixed most of them.
  2.    #2  
    Should I interpret the silence as indication that this hasn't happened to anyone else?
    It's only been an hour...

Doesn't sound similar to anything I've heard here before but definitely sounds like a hardware issue.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Just a guess, but I'm guessing the silence is that this sounds like an obvious hardware issue, and that your sending it in for service was the right thing to do.
    Same as Scotty and ColKurtz said. . . .
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for the answers. I guess I'll follow through with the repair, and I'll let everyone know if I figure out anything else.
    Palm has sent out "free of charge" replacement SIM trays that should eliminate your issue. PN# 406-10532-00
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alanv; 01/09/2006 at 03:52 PM.
    alanv, I don't think loose SIMdrome has anything to do with this

The issue is similar to the issues I have seen on about 10 of the 90 devices that I support. It never hurts to cover all of your bases.
    True

11.    #11  
    I had already installed the replacement SIM card tray several weeks ago. To be honest, I don't think I noticed any change in the behavior of my device after that replacement; if anything, it got slightly worse. And I don't think the SIM card tray has anything to do with this recent issue, because the problem occurs even when the phone part of the device is turned off and the SIM card is completely removed.
    The ROM 1.13 and SIM tray fixed all of the issues that I have seen so far. I am currently working on an issue where a couple of my users are stating that the device locks up during charging, but I cannot reproduce the issue. I would get the device replaced and see if that helps. Are you using T-Mobile?
  13.    #13  
    Alanv, thanks for the follow-up. But as I said before, the problem occurs even when the phone is turned off and the SIM card completely removed (so that the T650 is functioning as a PDA only in that case). So how could the SIM tray issue possibly be relevant?

Anyway, I got my replacement unit today. Unfortunately, it's still Hardware version A (I was keeping my fingers crossed for version B), and it has the dreaded yellowish tint on the screen and buttons. I just hate it. My original unit has a beautiful pure white screen that is a joy to look at.

Anyway, that has already been addressed on a different thread. Now all I can do is hope that this replacement unit will develop another problem in the next couple of days so I can replace it again, and maybe next time I'll be luckier.

I'll add another post in a few days to let everyone know if there are any further problems with the hardware (although I highly doubt it).
    it sounds like a battery problem to me... try a new one but first shim the old one with paper so it contacts better. Also clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Definitly now a SIM tray problem. Screen goes fuzzy when you remove the battery, remove the SIM and the phone radio shuts off.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks nonobeez, I'll definitely try your suggestion; I hadn't thought of that. I had two batteries and the problem occurred with both, but maybe their contacts needed cleaning.

The crappy yellow-tinted screen of the replacement unit I received gives me new incentive to try and resolve the problem with my existing unit. So I cleaned all the contacts with an eraser, and I'll see if the problem returns. If it does, I'll try removing the battery and powering the T650 up using the power cable only, just to see if it will boot up cleanly. If it does, then we'll know it's a battery problem.
  16.    #16  
    It's still too early to tell, but nonobeez may be on to something about the battery contacts being the problem.

The problem occurred again today, so I removed the battery and powered the phone from the charger alone. It came right up. As soon as I put the battery in, the problem returned. I repeated this experiment several times, and a few times the problem reoccurred even with the battery removed. But it was MUCH less frequent than with the battery installed, and it came back after a couple of attempts. But every time the device booted up properly with the battery removed, the problem returned every time as soon as I put the battery back in.

I also noticed the following: when the problem occurs, removing the battery and putting it back in usually doesn't work; I have to leave the T650 sitting without the battery for quite a while before it works again. But if I put in the battery while it pushing hard against the battery contacts, the device boots right up. Several experiments with this gave the same positive result every time.

So now I have strong evidence that this may indeed be related to poor battery contacts.

Following the advice from nonobeez, I cleaned my battery contacts again with a pencil eraser, and I shimmied the battery with a piece of paper so it's jammed up against the battery contacts. So far the problem has not returned, but it's too early to tell. I will try this for a while, keeping my fingers crossed, and report back.
  17.    #17  
    Well, it was a valiant effort. I spent much of the day trying different tricks with the battery, but to no avail. Every time the problem reappeared, usually at a very inopportune moment (while I was on the phone, or while I was trying to look something up, or while... you get the picture). This may still be a problem with the battery contacts, but I don't see what else I can do to try to fix it.

So, tonight I loaded everything onto the replacement unit with the ugly yellowish screen, and I packed up my old unit to ship it back to PalmOne.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I just wish PalmOne would make these devices a little more robust and reliable.