1.    #1  
    Hey All

I did a Search and didn't come-up with anything...

I've been trying to get the Freeware Programs I've downloaded on to my Treo 650 SD card. Using HotSync and setting it for SD Card the HotSync Program runs into a Problem Error 10766(whatever that is)and the Programs don't load to the SD Card. Is there something I need to do to be able to get the HotSync Program to transfer Programs to the SD Card??? I HotSync with my Pismo 400 using OSX 10.3.9. the SD Card is a Patriot 1GB High-Speed SD Card.

Thanks!!!

Brad
    There are several programs including lauchers that will do this. I use PowerRun. It will move the app and and related files/db to the sd card and you can also create a shortcut on your palm laucher to access the info.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I believe zlauncher is a laucher that would also allow you to move apps. Check it out.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Programs need to be "in RAM" to run. The Palm OS doesn't have anythiung built in to swap programs from the card to memory so you have to rely on 3rd party apps to do it....for the most part.

The DataViz tech tool for example will take most of DTG and shove it on the SD card. Mot programs have the capability to see data stored on the SD card....some , like Diet & Exercise Assistant do not. However the programs themselves need a utility to swap them back and forth.

I prefer PowerRUN to do this for me. It puts the programs on the card with a small stub or link in main memory which fetches the program back to memory so it can be run and then swaps it back when done. Some programs shouldn't be swapped like Uninstall Manager because it won't be able to do its thing over there. Others simpky can't go there and yet others such as VoiceDial you wouldn't want on there. Voice Dial is large and takes about 12 seconds to swap back and forth and I don't want to wait that long before makinge very call.
  5.    #5  
    Hey All

Thanks for the Replies!!!

I'll check those Programs out!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Brad
    Actually, there is a feature built into the OS to move a program from internal memory to the SD card. Go to your launcher screen and pull down the menus. Under "App" there is a menu option "Copy". This lets you copy an application from internal memory to the SD card. If all you are moving is a simple single .PRC program, this is all you need. Once successfully copied, you can delete the one from internal memory using the "App>Delete" menu options. Play around with some simple programs that you don't mind re-loading and see how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Actually, there is a feature built into the OS to move a program from internal memory to the SD card. Go to your launcher screen and pull down the menus. Under "App" there is a menu option "Copy". This lets you copy an application from internal memory to the SD card. If all you are moving is a simple single .PRC program, this is all you need. Once successfully copied, you can delete the one from internal memory using the "App>Delete" menu options. Play around with some simple programs that you don't mind re-loading and see how it works.
    But this method doesn"t create a shortcut on the Palm Launcher, right?
    TIA
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/12/2006 at 10:40 AM.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    But tis method doesn"t create a shortcut on the Palm Launcher, right?
    TIA
    No it won't. Also, after copying the application to the card, if you delete the application from the RAM by using the Applications (Menu-Delete), the settings associated with that application will also get deleted from the preference files. You will have to re-set the preferences after you run the application from the SD card.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I run my eReader, TCPMP and three games from my SD card without any third party launchers. I moved them there the same way that o_town_racer detailed in a previous post. This method is described in the user guide. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't create a hot key using a favorites button to launch the programs like I can with programs stored in RAM.
    Not sure what the issue is here. I've hotsync'd simple .prc programs to the SD card using PalmOne Quick Install & they work just fine. There is no shortcut in the basic launcher but if you select the SD card from the launcher category drop down menu, there is a shortcut to launch the program. This seems to work fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Actually, there is a feature built into the OS to move a program from internal memory to the SD card.
    What I mean is the OS doesn't have a feature that moves the app from the card, deletes it from main memory and then leaves you an icon so that you can still launch it. What the Palm OS does by letting you copy it tot he card is kinda like opening windows explorer and running a program by double clicking on an exe file in the appropriate folder on a network hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    What I mean is the OS doesn't have a feature that moves the app from the card, deletes it from main memory and then leaves you an icon so that you can still launch it. What the Palm OS does by letting you copy it tot he card is kinda like opening windows explorer and running a program by double clicking on an exe file in the appropriate folder on a network hard drive.
    Consequently the shortcut saves a step to launch the app and takes up an insignificant amount of memory.
    PowerRun has been a great and simple app for me.
    I'm with you.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Ive used PowerRUN for a few years and it rocks. I recently started using ZLauncher and it also does this. Some apps, like AvantGo, which wont sync correctly if moved with PowerRUN work fine if moved with ZLauncher. No idea why....
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I don't think PowerRun supports syncing conduits for programs it moves, while ZLauncher definately does. I might be wrong there.

But yes, AvantGo works very well on the SD card, just leave AGConnect in ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I don't think PowerRun supports syncing conduits for programs it moves, while ZLauncher definately does. I might be wrong there.

But yes, AvantGo works very well on the SD card, just leave AGConnect in ram.
    Don't know if this is still current.

http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column040301.htm (03/01/04)

Ths describes the latter of 2 methods on Zlauncher.

"The second advantage to this is that it allows you, if you leave the data files in RAM, to sync applications that reside on the card. When you sync a Palm, Hotsync Manager runs through the list of conduits to see if the applications are really on the Palm. If it doesn't see the corresponding application for a conduit, it skips syncing that conduit. It only looks in RAM, so if you have, for example, VersaMail in the /Palm/Launcher/folder, Hotsync Manager will not sync your mail. The stub application created by ZLauncher tricks Hotsync Manager into thinking the application is in RAM, so the sync will proceed normally.

This latter method of moving applications to the card is the same as used by PowerRun, but if I'm running ZLauncher, who needs PowerRun?"

However to sync Natara Bonsai (Ver 3.3.4), I have to move it to main memory with PowerRun or I get a message in my HotSync log saying it wasn't synch'd.