Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any idea when the Goodlink software will work on the new 700w or upcoming 700p?
    Here is the information we have released:

∑ When will GoodLink be commercially available for the Treo 700w?

o GoodLink will be available as a Beta release to selected customers on January 9th.

o Good and Palm are working together to make GoodLink for the Treo 700w commercially available as quickly as possible this quarter.

∑ Why isnít GoodLink commercially available now?

o Currently there is an issue which can cause data stalls that affects GoodLink synchronization.

o Current versions of GoodLink will install and operate, but would create a less than optimal user experience for our customers.

o A beta version of GoodLink is available today for key customers.

Sorry we don't have a clearer release time frame. As soon as I hear something new, will let everyone know.
  3.    #3  
    I wish our 20 users were key customers. oh well.

Thanks for the reply.
    There are a limited (very) number of beta accounts because of the high profile of the device. Sorry.
  5.    #5  
    I believe you, I really do. We have a lot of folks wishing to upgrade their phones and are waiting for this to work. A lot of Sprint customers, too, who will want the 700p if that is ever made available.
    I have a question about the new upgrade for the 700w when it does come out.

I installed 4.7 on the 700w, and it appears to work pretty good. I have noticed a few querks such as it taking a while for new messages to show up on the device, and the overall experiance feels clunky compaired to the 650. So this is the basis for my question.

What features or enhancements will the new upgrade for the 700w fix or bring to the table?
    Guys,

I too have GL 4.7 running on my 700w... as you said it works, but it seems to stall once in a while and takes a long time for the push to work. I have noticed that if you force a remote sync with the Exchange Server using the built-in outlook client that it seems to kick start goodlink.

It appears that GL does not have the ability to hold open the EVDO data channel... so when active sync opens the channel goodlink slips in and does as much transfer as it can... and then of course active sync gets hung up and says waiting for network.

Other than that GL seems to work just fine. Looking forward to having the integrated solution. Hopefully some new features are forth coming as Microsoft Mobile Sync and GL are getting very close to the same functionality with the new Mobile Security and Email service pack!

Thanks,
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegge
    It appears that GL does not have the ability to hold open the EVDO data channel... so when active sync opens the channel goodlink slips in and does as much transfer as it can... and then of course active sync gets hung up and says waiting for network.
    Have you tried to disable or stop using the Exchange Activesync? I know that Good is working this fix, and I hope it comes quickly!

The one feature I hope they can get working is the built in search function of the Treo 700 today screen. With 4.7 it will not search the Good Link contacts. I did a cheap workaround in that I only sync'ed the contacts with Exchange and this allowed the search funtion to work.

GoodLink is 10x better than the defaut WM05 Outlook on the Treo.
    Yes I tried to disable the Active Sync and then the GL application appears to function, but it works very slowly what used to take seconds to be pushed on my 600 is know taking 15-20 minutes. Also the battery life seems to be going out the window with the GL application installed. Of course I have been playing with the new 700w a lot so that may account for some of the battery usage
    ...Of course I have been playing with the new 700w a lot so that may account for some of the battery usage
    Haha! I have the same problem, I was on it all day today even tonight.

One item I have noticed with GL is the the "Recieve" function is very slow, but the "Transmit" side is fast. If I delete or reply to a message it quickly changes the status on Exchange.

Do you think that the GL software is better on the 700 or the 650?
    I like the look and feel of GL on the 700 but the push sucks! That is why I am using Active Sync and Remote Exchange to coax it into working a little quicker. I have found that if Active Sync is currently under way the push for Goodlink is very fast almost instantanous.

My suspicion is that the Goodlink application is not able to activate and/or stalls the EVDO network. I read somewhere that a known problem with GL on the 700 is data stalls I suspect that is what is causing the push to be so slow. That might explain your observation of the send being fast. I have noticed that if I force a send/receive when the EVDO network is free the send is almost immediate as per your observaton.

I guess we should not be too worried since the GL we are using is not officially supported yet! It is just nice to have something to play with while we wait. I suspect that since GL released there Beta today it will be a month or so before it goes to a full release... that us non-special people can get our hands on.

I have been a loyal Goodlink user since the Treo 600, but I am starting to see that MS is catching up with there mobile solution. I am currently playing with both GL and WM5 outlook... they are very similiar GL is obviously more mature, but I just need basic Email, Calendaring and Contact push. Noteably absent in the MS solution is the ability to sync tasks and notes with remote exchange. I realize you can sync them with the desktop, but I don't always have my desktop available.

My $.02
    Doug
    Last edited by dhegge; 01/10/2006 at 12:52 AM.
    I have 4.7 loaded on my 700w as well. I haven't notice major delays in the push (although it is definitely slower). On my 650, emails would hit my phone even faster than Exchange would push the email to outlook.

But, it seems that 4.7 isn't integrated in WM5. I thought the GL implamentation on the 650 was very smooth. Has anyone noticed that 4.7 on the 700 doesnt really seem to integrate (or take over) the contacts? For example, when I dial a contact from GL, it dials the call then displays "unknown caller".

Anyway, hope the WM5 version work as well as it did on my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsamini
    But, it seems that 4.7 isn't integrated in WM5.
    I have noticed this as well. It feels as if the 4.7 version is only about 90% there. Hopefully with the next release this will be fixed and we will have total integration including using the "Search" box from the new Today sceen that is on the 700w.
    Bear in mind, the data stalls are being seen across the board in the EV-DO/CDMA devices, not just the 700 (6700) with or without GoodLink. GL just seems to enhance these issues since the data connection is used so frequently. It seems the issues are when the phone jumps from EV-DO to CDMA and/or vice versa. Has anyone with a 700 run it strictly on CDMA (is there even a way to do that?) and seen the results?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Bear in mind, the data stalls are being seen across the board in the EV-DO/CDMA devices, not just the 700...
    Now thats not good

When you mentioned that the issue happens when the phone jumps from EV-DO to CDMA what are you refering to? On my 700 the EV-DO icon stays in place and only changes from a solid arrow set to a gray arrow set. I would assume that this is when it is recieving data vers. just sitting idle.

How could I tell if the phone jumps back to CDMA?
    Good question. I only know about the 6700 and it is my understanding that you can set the phone to use only CDMA, EV-DO or both.
    I see so the data stalls are not caused by the GL but it can help cause them because of the frequent access. So what you are really saying is that in order for the GL to work in the future we are most likely going to need an OS patch as well as the released version of GL correct?

Are the GL Beta customers that are using (since yesterday) the latest GL still experiencing the slow push and/or data stalls? Is there anything we can do in the mean time to alleviate this. Like I said mine seems to work best when I run WM5 outlook and Active Sync along with GL. Since I have my exchange server setup to send me an SMS message when new mail arrives, which of course triggers a sync via WM5 GL seems to be able to jump in during that time and push down any external mail. I say usually because this does not always occur.

Doug
    No. We are seeing the stalls on devices with and without GoodLink. GoodLink does not cause the stalls, however, they may appear more frequently since GoodLink utilizes the data connection more often. There is a ROM update being working on by the manufacturer that we hope alleviates these issues.
    That makes since new device new ROM Thanks for the feedback. I really like your Forum nice to have a connection to good for the little guys

doug
    That makes since new device new ROM Thanks for the feedback. I really like your Forum nice to have a connection to good for the little guys

doug
    My pleasure. One thing I would like to remind folks on the 700 and the 6700: You are bleeding edge with these devices. As first adopters, you need to expect some initial growing pains. I have no doubt that things will work out in the end, just try to have patience with both the mfr and with us. I am confident it will be worth it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast