Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93
  1. #21  
    Totally agree with the bleeding edge, just trying to get as much as we can out of her while we are waiting... I have been a GL customer for many years and love the technology.

    Have you guys given any thought to an SMS out of band trigger solution for GL so that is does not have to hold the data channel open and consume battery life. e.g. the way MS$ Exchange / Active Sync works. This would be a cool option for GL. Once the SMS trigger message arrived GL would simply open a data channel and then do its usual push of content. Once all the content had been received it would close the data channel and conserve battery life. This would be easy to implment I assume there must be an API hook for the SMS notification message within the OS.

    Might be another approach to win over some customers... just a thought!

    BTW, I have effectively done this by using GL and WM5 outlook w/SMS sync at the same time. It seems to work great... all beit I have duplicated emails. Of course on the MS side I have it set to only transfer headers. All I really need is the sync to open the channel and let the goodlink push occur. Seems simple enough to make this a feature or option if you don't want to hold the channel open at all times.

    Doug
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegge
    Have you guys given any thought to an SMS out of band trigger solution for GL so that is does not have to hold the data channel open and consume battery life. e.g. the way MS$ Exchange / Active Sync works.Doug
    I think the problem with that solution is there is no guarantee of email delivery. Once Exchange sends the SMS it is up to your device to receive it and request the new messages. If that SMS message gets lost you would have to wait for the next SMS message or do a manual sync. Just my thoughts...

    I agree with Goodguy that we are the "early ones" with the 700w and GL, however my only thought on this is that I would hope the GoodLink has been working on the update before launch of the 700w just a week ago.

    I have been using the Good software now for almost a day and I have not had any EV-DO lockups. Yes, the delivery is about a minute or 2 behind but it does arrive every time and I am not using Exchange A/S for any other connection. My issues are more with how the current version of 4.7 integrates with the OS and I feel it needs to be better. BUT overall, its GOOD! (nice pun)
  3. #23  
    We have been working on it, but we knew of the data stalls and are awaiting the ROM update. I guess regular ROM updates, especially early on, are to be expected, especially with a Windows product.
  4. #24  
    Okay I just did a hard reset and blew away everything... I am installing GOOD 4.7 via get.good.com only and going to see how it behaves today. Thanks for the feedback and positive encouragement. Can live with data stalls as long as it recovers automatically we will see.

    Doug
    P.S. any word from the official beta testers yet?
  5. #25  
    I have not heard anything from the beta folks. The data stalls should be able to be corrected with a soft reset should they occur.
  6. #26  
    Goodguy,

    Why does it take longer for the push to occur on the WM phone vs. the Palm OS Treo? Is this a setting in the profile for the device or what? The GL server is what pushes the content out to the phone correct? So why does the servers push behavior change from OS to OS. I can see if there was a data stall or something like that it might take longer, but it used to take seconds on my Treo 600 and now it is taking several minutes or longer to receive the push.

    Again I understand that we are bleading edge early adopters, not complaining, just asking

    Doug
  7. #27  
    Doesn't hurt to ask questions at all. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what would be causing a slow down like that. Only thing I can think of might be the overhead being taken by the WM OS in the device and the processing that is involved when the data hits the phone.

    One of the unfortunate things of me being sales instead of development. I will ask around, but probably won't get the answer soon.
  8. #28  
    Sales guys are cool... it has been my experience that they have much larger expense accounts than developers. Me I am a developer so I have no expense account. Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated. I am rolling along now with a virgin 700w after Reset and GL 4.7 installed and that is it just to see how things behave on the phone with no other outside influences. Seems to be working just fine you just cant predict when messages are going to actually arrive of course if I was not testing I would not know this anyway so I guess it is really not that big of a deal. Not like I am launching nukes or something important like that

    Doug
  9. #29  
    Goodguy,

    I have noticed one flaw with GL on the 700 and it has to do with creating new appoitments or tasks. When you go to change the start time or end all you are given is a list of letters and not times. If you choose a letter nothing appears. Does anyone else see this?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilson
    Have you tried to disable or stop using the Exchange Activesync? I know that Good is working this fix, and I hope it comes quickly!

    The one feature I hope they can get working is the built in search function of the Treo 700 today screen. With 4.7 it will not search the Good Link contacts. I did a cheap workaround in that I only sync'ed the contacts with Exchange and this allowed the search funtion to work.

    GoodLink is 10x better than the defaut WM05 Outlook on the Treo.
    I noticed this as well. The phone caller ID does not recognize numbers in GoodLink contacts. Is this true for GoodLink running on the Treo 650 or is this a WM5/Treo 700w issue?
  11. #31  
    Does anyone know of a bug where the backlight of the Treo 700w goes on at random? I mean completely at random... not even holding the device... it's sitting on the coffee table and bam, the light comes on.

    I hate to say this, but this wasn't happening until today, when I installed GoodLink 4.7.

    Thoughts?

    Brian
  12. #32  
    Again, and I hate to keep bringing this up, the 700 is not certified by Good to support GoodLink. The reason I say this is because I have pretty much zero access to engineer support to check on errors, bugs, etc. Those of you running it, help each other. I am taking notes on the items you bring up and sending them off, but there isn't much more I can do to help.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Again, and I hate to keep bringing this up, the 700 is not certified by Good to support GoodLink. The reason I say this is because I have pretty much zero access to engineer support to check on errors, bugs, etc. Those of you running it, help each other. I am taking notes on the items you bring up and sending them off, but there isn't much more I can do to help.
    Thank you for sending our issues off!

    I think I might have found another issue but I would like to know if others are having it as well.

    The screen on the 700 will kick on at random times throughout the day and stay on for about a minute then shut off. It does this frequently throughout the day and think it might be related to the GoodLink software. Is anyone else having this issue?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilson
    Thank you for sending our issues off!

    I think I might have found another issue but I would like to know if others are having it as well.

    The screen on the 700 will kick on at random times throughout the day and stay on for about a minute then shut off. It does this frequently throughout the day and think it might be related to the GoodLink software. Is anyone else having this issue?
    Yes, I am having the same issue, as noted two posts up.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by beekatt
    Yes, I am having the same issue, as noted two posts up.
    Your right!

    Yes I am having the same issue. Plus the current GL software it eating up ALOT of memory as well as battery life. Just some more info to pass along....
  16. ucsdsig's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilson
    Plus the current GL software it eating up ALOT of memory as well as battery life. Just some more info to pass along....
    Yikes, not good news.

    Hope the official version rectifies the problems.
    Last edited by ucsdsig; 01/13/2006 at 01:50 AM.
  17. #37  
    I can now confirm that the current GL version of 4.7 drains a battery in less than a day.

    Yesterday I had a full charge on my 700 and started the day off without any other applicatons running. I then left it on my desk throughout the day to watch it off and on. I recieved 1-2 calls but did not answer them. I noticed that the screen light would kick on every so often and stay on for about a minute. Buy the end of my work day I was at 30% battery.

    Lastnight I did a hard reset and removed the GL software and went with Exchange. First off, the Pocket Outlook programs suck. The calendar is a joke, email is way to hard to do simple things, and the contacts just take up to much room on the screen. Sorry that was my little rant. However by removing GL, and going naked, my 700 has almost a 90% battery level. Plus I left it off the charger all night for a good long test. I have also noticed the screen is not kicking on any more.

    Just some important information to pass long!
  18. ucsdsig's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilson
    I can now confirm that the current GL version of 4.7 drains a battery in less than a day.
    Thanks for the update. My IT guys have told me to wait on installing GoodLink software for now. Wow, battery life is essential for me...I don't want to carry around a spare battery when I'm traveling for work.

    What impact did the GoodLink software have on memory? I know there's about 14MB out of the box, how much did GoodLink 4.7 bring it down? Thanks.
  19. #39  
    I can confirm the same observations as wwwilson... I went on a business trip to Salt Lake City yesterday left the house with a full charge and GL on the 700 phone. Took two calls during the day and by the time I got back to the airport 12 hours later the better was dead. Never happened on my 600 with GL. Also I have noticed the screen turning on and off as well.

    It is ironic, because I did the exact same thing when I got up this morning I hard reset the treo to remove GL. I then used Exchange/Active Sync and after an entire day the battery is 87%... and I took and made several calls today. your comments on the Apps are right on I really am looking forward to GL but for now it is just not ready for the 700 in my opinion... so I am going with Pocket Outlook until the release.

    On the subject of the release what is the freedback from the offiicial 700 GL beta group. Are they seeing the same issues or does the Beta software take care of these problems?

    Doug
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegge
    I can confirm the same observations as wwwilson... I went on a business trip to Salt Lake City yesterday left the house with a full charge and GL on the 700 phone. Took two calls during the day and by the time I got back to the airport 12 hours later the better was dead. Never happened on my 600 with GL. Also I have noticed the screen turning on and off as well.

    It is ironic, because I did the exact same thing when I got up this morning I hard reset the treo to remove GL. I then used Exchange/Active Sync and after an entire day the battery is 87%... and I took and made several calls today. your comments on the Apps are right on I really am looking forward to GL but for now it is just not ready for the 700 in my opinion... so I am going with Pocket Outlook until the release.

    On the subject of the release what is the freedback from the offiicial 700 GL beta group. Are they seeing the same issues or does the Beta software take care of these problems?

    Doug
    I tired setting up active synch with exchange, but can't figure it out. I asked my IT guy about using it and he said the company only supports GL. It's not that I don't want to use GL, I just want the bugs to be fixed before I do. Any tricks to getting Active Synch working with Exchange? The problem I have is getting the server setup on the device.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions