1.    #1  
    I tried installing some program, and after that my Treo 650 started the vicious non-stop resetting loop crapout.

I looked all over the forum for the hard reset and restore instructions, but there's so much noise that I can't seem to find it, after 30 minutes of hard searching.

Can someone post the thread/url or instructions on how to do this? I know the application that's at fault (appears by installing it I ran out of memory on my Palm, causing it to go through this non-stop resetting loop). However I need to restore everything else back via Hotsync.

Thanks.
    What you want is a warm reset. That starts the Treo without starting any applications (like Windows safe mode). Then, you should delete the application that you suspect may be causing the problem.

Hard reset will delete everything and restore the Treo to the factory condition. If you sync after that, you will be asked (on the PC) to either select a new Hotsync ID (in which case you won't get any of your applications ir calendar, contacts etc restored. If you select the old ID, then all your PIM data and applicatiosn will be restored. If you want only the PIM data but not your applications, then empty the Backup folder ion the PC associated with your ID.

All types of resets are described in

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...e.tem,CASE=887
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    I have done the warm reset, but can't get into the "Applications" program. It always crashes and resorts back to the reset loop when I try that application. Everything else though, works. I launched those apps by creating quick launch shortcuts to them.

Is there another way for me to delete applications to free up memory? I'm pretty sure that's the cause. How stupid of Palm to even allow an app to be installed when it knows it will run out of memory, thus causing this pain.

The main thing I need to know is how best to restore everything without losing anything. If I do the hard reset, afterwards I just hotsync with the PC using the working user ID?
    You could use FileZ to delete files from the RAM.

My advice is to do a hard reset and Hotsync after removing all items from the Backup directory on the PC. You'll lose the 3rd party applications but retain the Calendar, Contacts, Memos and Tasks. Reinstall all applications.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  5.    #5  
    But I'll lose all application data too on those apps? Is there another way so that I will only lose the app that caused the problem but not everything else?
    If you are absolutely sure which application is causing the problems, try deleting that (and other files with the same creator ID.. and ideally, records in Saved and Unsaved Preferences with that same creator ID) from the RAM using FileZ or Resco Explorer.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by oggle
    can't get into the "Applications" program. It always crashes and resorts back to the reset loop when I try that application.
    I recommend a warm reset and then delete the "psysLaunchDB" file. This is where the launcher keeps track of its apps, categories etc. If you delete it nothing bad happens and it's simply rebuilt with default contents. Worth a shot.