1.    #1  
    I'm 0 for 3 so far with the Cingular Updates (1.04 / 1.15 and now 1.17), though this is proving to be the most difficult. Using the 1.17 updater I got thru fine until it was doing the data restore. At that point HotSync stalled on "Synchronizing Memos" which is a problem it had once before. I have never used my Treo or PD to write a memo so this is a bit ironic. After an hour a window popped up a "not responding message" and popped up the "end program" button.

Upon rebooting and hard resetting I tries another HotSync. No go with the infamous 8009 error which requires a reinstall of the Palm Destop with obligatory uninstall and registry deletes beforehand. Before doing that I copied my entire user name folder to another drive for 2nd backup purposes. No worries I am figuring cause I have BackUpBuddyVFS on the thing and I just gonna use that anyway.

However upon installing BUBVFS, it tells me I have no files to restore. I look in FileZ and it sure has all the files under a backup directory but for some reason BBVFS isn't seeing them. Any suggestions ?

Failing that, is there any file guide which associates file names with specific programs so that I can do a manual restore from the back up copy of the username folder ? I have already moved over the obvious like the address databases and stuff like that which seems to have worked.
    Do you have the important things like Calendar, Contacts, Tasks back after a restore? The other things (applications) can always be re-installed.

Did you try updating the firmware under a temporary Hotsync ID? Then when you are all done, switch to the old ID after removing everything from the Backup directory. Start fresh with application re-installs.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Do you have the important things like Calendar, Contacts, Tasks back after a restore? The other things (applications) can always be re-installed.
    Well yes as I said I copied the db's for calendar and contacts in from the dupe I made of the user name folder

Did you try updating the firmware under a temporary Hotsync ID? Then when you are all done, switch to the old ID after removing everything from the Backup directory.
    That was the intent. While I found this possible with the 1.15 update, there was no pause in the install process to allow the selection of an alternate HotSyncID even tho I cretaed one in PD before starting.

Start fresh with application re-installs.
    That drops all Bonsai schedules, e-books, PDF's, mail settings, fitness records, docs2go, alarm settings, databases etc. Probably another 8 hours of effort.....not counting re-searching these boards for server settings and the like.
  4.    #4  
    One other question.....I notice that your sig says:

Cingular GSM
    Firmware:01.51
    Hardware:A

Curious that my Phone info box has no version next to Firmware:
    These show up if the phone Radio is on (connected to your provider).

I would do another hard reset (to clean out the Treo), create a temporary ID and re-flash. I'm not sure your flashing went through completely.

The flash process has a backup and a restore, but that is meaningless (it occurs under the temporary ID). Once the flash is completed and you are happy with it, then do another hard reset and select the old ID.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  6.    #6  
    These show up if the phone Radio is on (connected to your provider).
    Duh on my part.

I would do another hard reset (to clean out the Treo), create a temporary ID and re-flash. I'm not sure your flashing went through completely.

The flash process has a backup and a restore, but that is meaningless (it occurs under the temporary ID). Once the flash is completed and you are happy with it, then do another hard reset and select the old ID.
    I did do it again, treid again for atemp username...no go. Tried deleting my user name completely from PD and doing again as "JoeBlow". My device name was then Joe Blow. Then tried doing it again using my user name....no go. Had to use chnage user name in PD do get me back to ...well, me. And then manual install of all the apps....only took 4 hours doing 1 at a time so UM could track each app individually.