Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    So, what are everyone's predictions for Steve's keynote next week?

    I'll be happy and sad if we see a fast Intel-based laptop--happy that they're making progress and sad that I just got my PB this year.

    I've read rumors that predict there will be an Intel-based Mini that is more like a home entertainment center that will either stream music and video to your TV or have it on the hard drive.

    Anyone else?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  2. #2  
    Just for fun...


    ***Most likely***
    Intel iBooks (single core) widescreen
    Intel Mac Mini (dual core) w/ updated frontrow for DVR and TV
    Updated Cinema Displays (>30")
    iLife '06 (with web iApp)

    ***possible***
    updated ipod shuffles
    Airport Express Video (in conjunction with mac mini DVR/TV)
    new .Mac features
    iTunes movies service

    ***I wish***
    Apple Smartphone
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa
    Just for fun...
    ***Most likely***
    Intel iBooks (single core) widescreen
    Intel Mac Mini (dual core) w/ updated frontrow for DVR and TV
    Updated Cinema Displays (>30")
    iLife '06 (with web iApp)

    ***possible***
    updated ipod shuffles
    Airport Express Video (in conjunction with mac mini DVR/TV)
    new .Mac features
    iTunes movies service

    ***I wish***
    Apple Smartphone
    I, too, would LOVE to see an Apple Smartphone. I wonder what OS it would run. Any ideas?

    I'm thinking the Mac Mini with FrontRow and DVR/TV with the Airport Express Video would be the big push into America's living rooms that is needed to expand the iPod's success into other markets.

    Thanks for the insights.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  4. #4  
    I read either on macruomrs.com or another similar site that there was a slip on Apple's website that featured iWeb. Not sure what the app will do, but figured I'd pass it along. I can't wait to hear about the new product! Will they announce it on Mon or Tues?
    Thanks!
    Dom
    Treo 650/Sprint PCS
    Marlton, NJ
  5. #5  
    Funny thing i forgot to menion on the last post... I was in the apple store last week, looking at a video iPod. I went to choose the song to play by clicking on the screen (not using the wheel). Can ya tell i use my treo too much??
    Dom
    Treo 650/Sprint PCS
    Marlton, NJ
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by depthoffield
    I read either on macruomrs.com or another similar site that there was a slip on Apple's website that featured iWeb. Not sure what the app will do, but figured I'd pass it along. I can't wait to hear about the new product! Will they announce it on Mon or Tues?
    Thanks!
    Hmm..I wonder what iWeb would do? Maybe be connected to a home theatre/computer mac-mini type experience?

    I think we find out tomorrow, or at least I hope so.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  7. #7  
    The Apple smartphone will run a lite version of MacOSX. Imagine running mini versions of Mail, Safari (full web browsing), iCal, address book, iChat, iPhoto (for the built in camera), iMovie (320 x 240 QT MPEG4 movies from camera). All this with an updated .Mac that has "push" IMAP support and more space. All this can be sync'ed "wirelessly" to your desktop and .Mac account.

    Of course it would have the sleek Apple intuitive design and interface enhancements.

    The iWeb app is an extention of iLife. think web design. It is basically a tool to help you build your .mac homepage. It will evolve into other things, once Apple updates .mac even more.
  8. #8  
    Predictions:

    Usual suspects --
    Laptops & minimacs Running on intel chips
    iLife 2006 (with iWeb for creating web pages)
    New flash based iPods
    Updated Airport Express for video content
    Apple "boombox" with built-in wifi and bluetooth

    The "one more thing item" --
    Apple media center with DVR as well as tuner card slots for cable and sat. These may be packaged with 40" to 50" Apple branded displays

    Unfortunately --
    There will be no mention of an iPhone. (I believe Apple will create a SmartPhone in 2 to 3 years to seamlessly integrate with the media center solutions, etc...)
  9.    #9  
    MacBookPro!!! I wonder if it will eventually come in 12".
    Some nice announcements today...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  10. #10  
    I think macBook Pro is a place holder for something better. Not sure I like that they got rid of FW800. Expresscard is nice, but now we have to upgrade our PCMCIA cards. we lost some pixels on the screen, but gained some brightness and higher resolution.

    the 12 and 17 models will probably come out in March/April. A new completely different design probably sometime late 2006/early 2007

    it is still an incredible laptop. I need to save some more money
  11. #11  
    No Firewire-No 8x Superdrive-no D/L capability. This unit is not targeted at existing PB owners. It more likely is targeted at the "Intel Inside" folks. Apple is "reaching out" for those Windoze converts.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dasmith59
    No Firewire-No 8x Superdrive-no D/L capability. This unit is not targeted at existing PB owners. It more likely is targeted at the "Intel Inside" folks. Apple is "reaching out" for those Windoze converts.
    ... whose Treos synchronize properly with their "Windoze" machines. Windows users have become quite accustomed to steady connectivity and fewer synchronization problems. Let's face it, the Mac machines are awesome, but they don't contribute much to mobile connectivity - e.g. synchronizing WELL with the top mobile devices today. So Apple would have to do a lot more than put an Intel CPU in the computer to attract that crowd.
    David
  13. #13  
    Couldn't argue your point, BUT, the MBP just has less capability than the PB I am using. It surely wasn't meant as a replcement for my PB. Less capability at the same price.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dasmith59
    Couldn't argue your point, BUT, the MBP just has less capability than the PB I am using. It surely wasn't meant as a replcement for my PB. Less capability at the same price.
    You don't think the allegedly faster processor, built-in iSight, and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with up to 256MB memory on 16-lane PCI Express
    ExpressCard/34 slot make it a consideration?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  15. #15  
    Not for me. I like the speed of the FireWire 800 on backup drives. I have and use the 8X Superdrive with d/l for iMovie/iDvd projects. I also have bought into Apple's marketing that their PPC processor based systems are faster than the competition's systems with faster processors. Apple will get it right but I think they rushed this one to market. My opinion.
  16.    #16  
    I haven't used the Firewire 800 yet, so I guess I'm okay with 400 for now. I use an external DVD burner for faster speeds with iDVD and data recording, but I guess that is a consideration if you need to burn while out and about.
    So, do you think that the new Mactel-based machines aren't 2-5 times faster, depending on what is being done?
    I just want to get my hands on one in an Apple store to feel it out.

    Thanks for the post.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  17. 500mL's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I haven't used the Firewire 800 yet, so I guess I'm okay with 400 for now. I use an external DVD burner for faster speeds with iDVD and data recording
    I do projects on iMovie and iDVD using my iBook. What kind of dvd burner do you use? I was told before that certain external DVD burners won't work with iDVD due to Apple's proprietary issues. I've upgraded my 14inch iBook w/ the Superdrive from the 12inch iBook. I love the 12inch iBook except it doesn't come with a DVD burner, just the 12inch PB - although now I'm considering of getting the 12inch PB just cuz it's so lightweight and easy to carry around.

    Btw, I never had problems connecting my Treo to iBook. So far, everything's been smooth sailing with no connection or (extreme) hardware/software issues.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    I do projects on iMovie and iDVD using my iBook. What kind of dvd burner do you use? I was told before that certain external DVD burners won't work with iDVD due to Apple's proprietary issues. I've upgraded my 14inch iBook w/ the Superdrive from the 12inch iBook. I love the 12inch iBook except it doesn't come with a DVD burner, just the 12inch PB - although now I'm considering of getting the 12inch PB just cuz it's so lightweight and easy to carry around.

    Btw, I never had problems connecting my Treo to iBook. So far, everything's been smooth sailing with no connection or (extreme) hardware/software issues.
    It's one of those "home made" DVD burners where you order a case and a
    DVD internal burner. It's true iDVD won't work with the burner, so you burn a disk image from iDVD and then you can create your DVD from the disk image. You can use Toast or Popcorn, which is what I use.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  19. 500mL's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    It's one of those "home made" DVD burners where you order a case and a
    DVD internal burner. It's true iDVD won't work with the burner, so you burn a disk image from iDVD and then you can create your DVD from the disk image. You can use Toast or Popcorn, which is what I use.
    Nice! I'm considering of purchasing one. Right now, I own 2 external hard drives - one is 80gb and the other is 200gb - which I both use for editing movies, saving my projects, etc. (the hard drives are both internal but I bought cases just like how you have your external DVD writer is setup).

    Does your external DVD burner come with Toast or you had to get it separately? I have a copy of Toast Titanium 6 that I got from my friend. It tends to get an error sometimes when burning or verifying the disc. Would that be a reason why it screws up sometimes, because it's a copy?
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    Nice! I'm considering of purchasing one. Right now, I own 2 external hard drives - one is 80gb and the other is 200gb - which I both use for editing movies, saving my projects, etc. (the hard drives are both internal but I bought cases just like how you have your external DVD writer is setup).

    Does your external DVD burner come with Toast or you had to get it separately? I have a copy of Toast Titanium 6 that I got from my friend. It tends to get an error sometimes when burning or verifying the disc. Would that be a reason why it screws up sometimes, because it's a copy?
    I would go see if there are any updates with your Toast. I don't know if you've looked into Roxio's Popcorn. Actually a very cool app as it will utilize compression if your video won't fit on your DVD, but only if necessary.

    Good luck!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650

Posting Permissions