Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Needless to say, im royally pissed! I guess the saying goes - things that appear to good to be true usually are!!

I bought a "Brand New 2G SanDisk Ultra II SD Card" off ebay.. managed to snag it at $112usd (+ $17 shipping)
    First bad signs were:
    - no retail packaging (tho this was as described)
    - the contacts showed wear

Raising my suspicion, I ran out to buy an authentic retail card to do some comparisons. I've compiled my findings at:

http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/

The seller has now made his feedback private to hide what i had left behind. Likely he'll resurface under a new account. Buyers beware~

PS, the seller did offer a full refund, but that doesn't make the wrong doings right!
    Wow good for you, you're going to save alot of people greif. Most people wouldnt notice the difference, until they have to RMA it.

Don't stop at just a refund, ruin this jerk's reputation. I encourage you spread this to as many forums with handheld devices as possible!
    Iím the ebay seller "blown-z". I figured I would step in and let people know the truth about my products. Here is a picture of what my SanDisk Ultra 2G SD cards really look like:
    http://home.comcast.net/~supremesolu...otos/ult2I.jpg

You will notice the serial numbers and the look of the card so you can call SanDisk to verify how 100% original it really is. Then if you think well itís just a picture then go to my auction below and buy one. All name brand products I sell are 100% original. If you have any questions before buying feel free to contact me. Check out my other items if you donít need a SanDisk Ultra 2GB sd. I supply just about every memory card out there in all different memory capacities. Im a bulk seller for many different companies; Fuji, olympus, SanDisk, Toshiba, Kingston, and more.If you donít see what you need then ask and Ill see if I can get it.
    Buy an Ultra II SanDisk 2gb SD card here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thank You!
    Last edited by blown-z; 02/02/2006 at 07:43 AM.
    How do people like you justify $15.95 shipping plus $3.99 insurance on something that would only cost you $2-3 to ship. What a joke.
    I ran across a fake SanDisk myself, but the quality of the print is a lot better, almost as good as the real thing.
    I bought the fake SanDisk from sib-auctions

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    The fact that the serial number formats are different doesn't prove much to me. I have a number of Sandisk cards with multiple formats for the s/n. I think it may have to do with where (country / factory) they were made.

And I'm not even completely put off by the performance differences. They're quite close, there is variability from item to item, especially as the manufacturer's make running changes to their product.

But I am troubled by the label. I suppose it's possible different plants produce the labels in different ways, but the "fake" label does look a bit weird.

And the fact that it was sold as new, when it's clearly not, is unacceptable. As is charging $16 to ship something that could go in a padded envelope for less than a buck. As a general principal, I refuse to do business with sellers who pad their profit with inflated shipping charges.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    its more of a handling charge. Also think of the risk us sellers are talking by starting the auctions at 99 cents. The margins are not high at all and with ebay and paypal taking a big cut as well doesnt help. Bidding should be based on a total price. If you only want to pay $120 for an item then included the shipping price in that. Max bid should be $100. If our profits were huge on ebay then us big sellers would have no problem offering $4.95 shipping.
    Too many dishonest sellers on eBay just out to screw the consumers. Getting my SD card at newegg.com, a reliable dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by blown-z
    its more of a handling charge. Also think of the risk us sellers are talking by starting the auctions at 99 cents. The margins are not high at all and with ebay and paypal taking a big cut as well doesnt help. Bidding should be based on a total price. If you only want to pay $120 for an item then included the shipping price in that. Max bid should be $100. If our profits were huge on ebay then us big sellers would have no problem offering $4.95 shipping.
    BS. If you think starting an auction at 99 cents is risky, then don't do it. $16 bucks for shipping AND handling is still outrageous. Besides, you've essentially made my point. You're afraid you're not going to make enough profit on the item, so you make sure you get your profit in shipping. If the bid price goes higher than you need to guarantee a fair profit, do you offer to reduce the shipping? Didn't think so.

But hey, if people are stupid enough to pay $20 shipping and insurance for something that weighs a couple of ounces, that's their problem. Just don't expect me to be that stupid. You'll never see a penny of my money.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Midak
    Too many dishonest sellers on eBay just out to screw the consumers. Getting my SD card at newegg.com, a reliable dealer.
    You're right. Ebay used to be a great place for individual buyers and sellers to come together. Now it's become a great place for shady businesses and scammers to avoid the consumer protections that they'd have to deal with in a regular brick and mortar business.
    Bob Meyer
  11.    #11  
    I actually contacted Sandisk regarding the SD i bought, providing them with the electronic serial # of the card, and they did confirm it was a fake.

If you put your Sandisk SD's into your treo and run card info, and you're not seeing "Sandisk" nor their typical numbering convention, then I'd be pretty surprised... Even the relabelled SD's I have (e.g. Canon) made by sandisk, when run under Card Info still displays Sandisk etc.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The fact that the serial number formats are different doesn't prove much to me. I have a number of Sandisk cards with multiple formats for the s/n. I think it may have to do with where (country / factory) they were made.

And I'm not even completely put off by the performance differences. They're quite close, there is variability from item to item, especially as the manufacturer's make running changes to their product.

But I am troubled by the label. I suppose it's possible different plants produce the labels in different ways, but the "fake" label does look a bit weird.

And the fact that it was sold as new, when it's clearly not, is unacceptable. As is charging $16 to ship something that could go in a padded envelope for less than a buck. As a general principal, I refuse to do business with sellers who pad their profit with inflated shipping charges.
    I thought about buying one on eBay. But after shopping around I realized that Pricegrabber.com had better prices. I just purchased a 2gb San Disk card last week for $100.00. This morning they have a place listed (Thenerds.net) with the same card for $83.72 with shipping.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__SanDi...ort_type=price

I bought mine from DigitalMediaOutlet. Works great.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Comatose
    I actually contacted Sandisk regarding the SD i bought, providing them with the electronic serial # of the card, and they did confirm it was a fake.

If you put your Sandisk SD's into your treo and run card info, and you're not seeing "Sandisk" nor their typical numbering convention, then I'd be pretty surprised... Even the relabelled SD's I have (e.g. Canon) made by sandisk, when run under Card Info still displays Sandisk etc.
    I just got a Sandisk 2gb ultra II card from a yahoo merchant. The packaging all looked retail. Where do I access the card info on the treo?
    I purchased 2 GB SD card from supreme solutions (blown-z ebay id) and it was not working so i sent it back to him but now he is not returning my money nor sending the card back. He is big cheater and i will get my money out of him at any cost
    I purchased 2 GB SD card from supreme solutions (blown-z ebay id) and it was not working so i sent it back to him but now he is not returning my money nor sending the card back. He is big cheater and i will get my money out of him at any cost
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I was suckered into this too. I contacted SanDisk and they sent me a program to test if it was real or fake. Yep, it was a fake. When I contacted ebay seller he acted very
    surprised (yeah right). He told me to send it back and he would refund my money. I TOLD HIM TO REFUND MY MONEY AND THEN I WOULD SEND IT BACK OR I WOULD REPORT HIM TO SANDISK. He then said no problem. My paypal acct was refunded and I sent it back. I still reported him to San Disk. They want to be aware of all the people selling fake cards so they can take action against them.
    I hope you people aren't still paying over $100 for something that's worth $78 shipped. And beyond that, you could get a RiData card for $40 shipped.
    I bought an UltraII 2g Sandisk card from VTAM Enterprises(store front on price grabber) for like $57 bucks no shipping. Received it two days later. Works fine, I have had no issues whatsoever. It came in a sealed plastic case, the ones that are sealed in such a way that they are hard to open. Card looks real, label looks real, hologram looks real but when I run card infor it says
    ASWIN
    Unknown
    Secure Digital Card
    Device Id: ASWIN_0000015a......

Is it fake? Don't know. If it is, it a pretty good fake.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    How do people like you justify $15.95 shipping plus $3.99 insurance on something that would only cost you $2-3 to ship. What a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    As is charging $16 to ship something that could go in a padded envelope for less than a buck. As a general principal, I refuse to do business with sellers who pad their profit with inflated shipping charges.
    @meyerweb: what's your total cost (card+S&H)? Was it still darn cheaper than you buy in the brick and mortar store???
    Guys, stop moaning about S&H. If you don't like it, don't buy it!
    Have you ever wonder what is the destination charge when you buy a car?

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I hope you people aren't still paying over $100 for something that's worth $78 shipped. And beyond that, you could get a RiData card for $40 shipped.:
    Yeah. But not all of us are GOOD deal hunters. Furthermore, the perfomance/reliable among brandname cards e.g Sandisk and less-brandname cards (aka:RiData, ADATA, Transcend) is different. My Transcend 150x 4gb somestime can't readable on my treo (FAT32 modified), meanwhile 2GB Sandisk Ultra II never has that issue.

BTW, I bought my 2gb Sandisk Ultra II at Bestbuy months ago for $79. It doesn't have the imprint s/n or c/o either. I never question if my card is fake. What about you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    I contacted SanDisk and they sent me a program to test if it was real or fake. Yep, it was a fake. When I contacted ebay seller he acted very surprised (yeah right). He told me to send it back and he would refund my money. I TOLD HIM TO REFUND MY MONEY AND THEN I WOULD SEND IT BACK OR I WOULD REPORT HIM TO SANDISK. He then said no problem. My paypal acct was refunded and I sent it back. I still reported him to San Disk. They want to be aware of all the people selling fake cards so they can take action against them.
    If Sandisk concerns about the fake cards, why don't they provide the tool (a program) for public access as Transcend does? How may I call a man who break his word?
    I talked with a Sandisk International rep (name won't be repeated or given out) who was well aware of the problem and was, frankly, sick and tired of all the calls. After much discussion and prompting, he told me the factory where the legit Ultra II 2.0 GB cards are made on the day shift is the SAME place where they make the fake cards on the night shift. Apparently, two huge shipments of fake cards were mismarked as legit and sent to honest sellers all over the U.S. I bought one card on eBay and one from a big box store, both were fakes, but I got my money back on both. I won't hold it against the sellers, but with Sandisk knowingly allowing this to occur (O.K., maybe they can't control Chinese business ethics; after all, this is the electronic piracy and dupe capital of the world), I can only say: Goodbye Sandisk, hello PNY (or Lexar or...)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast