Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Are you feeling left out by all the 700w activity? I'm not. I am still happily & easily using my 650 for all the things I have set it up for over the last year. I'm happy I'm not at square one with a new device and/or a new OS. All the soft resets, software testing, updates and purchases leave me clinging to my 650 and saying 'Don't worry, it will take more than that for me to give you up. We've come to far to start over now.' I'm not sure if even the 700p will get me to change. I guess I now know how the 600 user that held fast to their devices during the 650 release in 04 felt. At that time I was giving up a Tungsten C and a cell phone and could not understand how ALL of them (600 users) were not jumping all over the 650. I'm happy with what I have, but don't tell my Wife I said that just in case I like the 650p!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    700p I mean!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Not at all. I have a device that I know works and is paid for. Sure, it doesn't have EVDO or a 1.3 MP camera, but I can live with that for the time being.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    2006 RIP Treo Palm phones. Welcome, dark Lord Gates.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    2006 RIP Treo Palm phones. Welcome, dark Lord Gates.
    these "w" guys are hilarious. ya got some nice features there but the reviews aint too hot there, skippy. palm phones like the 700p will undoubtedly blow the doors off your "doze" devices in terms of one-handed usability (the whole point to having a smartphone ) partnered with evdo, not to mention superior screen res, core apps and processing speeds!! wait `till ya see whats comin` down the pike.
    700w, what's that?
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    leaving me cold. i feel sad for the treos that have to bear the windows operating systems. lets free the treos, somebody find a way to pump palm os into the poor gadgets. SAVE THE TREOS
    So far, I'm only impressed with the Today screeen. But It's my understanding that Palm designed that so maybe we'll see that on the 700p.

I'm still using the 600. So I'm in the camp that would skip the 650 entirely if I go for the 700p. However, if they start giving the 650 away to promote the 700p, I might go for the 650. Or maybe I'll get lucky and Sprint will replace my 600 with a 650 the next time it breaks.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I surely love to have cool new stuff, but my 650 is working so well that I figure "why rock the boat". I have no reboot issues, it works extremely well with my BMW's BT, ChatterEmail works well.. and I'm a MissingSync user...

No need to consider a 700W. I'll wait contently for a 700P.

* BB Connect would be much apprecaited
    I'd rather pretend this abomination doesn't exist, so keep this in the right forums, mmmmkhay?
    I had no idea the 700 would ship with a 240x240 screen. I would actually consider one for the native WMV support and EVDO if they actually had Verizon around where I live. But even if I could get Verizon, I would not get the 700 now because it has nothing I need. WHy bother streaming videos at 240x240?

I think they key reason to buy one is if you were the manager of an IT department and wanted a device that could interface with exchange easily for the non-technical executives.

Just does not impress. I think Palm would have went a lot farther by putting the development money into some applications that would give us what we were lacking as well as a good marketing campaign (or any marketing campaign).

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    I had no idea the 700 would ship with a 240x240 screen. I would actually consider one for the native WMV support and EVDO if they actually had Verizon around where I live. But even if I could get Verizon, I would not get the 700 now because it has nothing I need. WHy bother streaming videos at 240x240?

I think they key reason to buy one is if you were the manager of an IT department and wanted a device that could interface with exchange easily for the non-technical executives.

Just does not impress. I think Palm would have went a lot farther by putting the development money into some applications that would give us what we were lacking as well as a good marketing campaign (or any marketing campaign).

Steve
    We're all hoping the 700p will address all of our needs and desires.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    My wife saw the treocentral e-mail this morning and asked me if I wanted her to go pick one up for me this morning. I gave her a hug and kiss, and said, no thanks, I'll keep the 650 (unless 700P comes out with the right upgrades).
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Cardio....you are one lucky man! Thats almost as good as being single.
    Newton 100 > Newton 120 > Palm IIIx > LG Phenom Express > Palm 505 > Treo 300 > Tungsten T > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750
    Awaiting the 700p release is tough for me. I have the 650 where I want it but a 700p with twice the ram, EVDO, and a better camera thats enough for me to switch. The 700w has been getting slammed in the reviews. The only bright spot seems to be the hardware and the today screen. I don't know what the big deal about the today screen is? I think 2day with Initiate can do everything the 700ws' today screen can do and more.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    to me, the treo 700w is essentially like windows millenium or something... lets get it out the door cuz its been a while since an update and synergy and all that....

the thing is, i was waiting to jump to the 700w cuz lets face it.. the palm os was designed around low end hardware so that a lightweight app etc could run on 512kb of memory etc.

well the hardware has caught up and met the portable software and mobile broadband right in the middle with windows mobile and evdo .... however, the integration between it all leaves not much to be desired.. but everything to be desired.

now its right at that point where we have the power in the hand hele device and we have a mobile OS that integrated tightly with our desktops (sorry mac users) but they just dont know how to talk to each other properly yet as is evident through out todays review.

Here's wifi, but you cant use a memory card and yes, your storage space is limited.
    Here's windows mobile, a robust app, but the excellent 5 way is all but crippled because if i have to take out my pen or use my finger, its already an issue if i didnt have to before...

Lets not forget how much it would cost to get a set of apps that can do what my 650 does now for Windows.. if im gonna spend that much, i want it to work at least as well as my current device.

I'm sure i could go on and on if I actually had the device but with Treo coming out with multiple smart phones this year, I think i will wait for one with a micro drive, integrated wi-fi and better 5 way support.

meanwhile the 650 is working just fine.
    I am very happy with my 650 right now but I do yearn for the newness factor of the latest device, except the 700w. This device is as mediocre as I thought it would be. I am also patiently waiting for the 700p hoping its release will coincide with the release of EVDO in my area. I WILL NOT jump to Windoze.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Indeed. I went right from a VisorPhone/Prism combo to the 600, then to an unlocked GSM 650 to a Verizon 650. I'd probably go to the 700w for the EVDO speed but NOT with a crap screen. Sorry 700w, I'll wait for the 700p, or may be something better down the line. There has been tons of threads discussing the shortfalls of the 650 from people whom had recently purchased the 600 and were dissapointed at the 650's "shortcomings", particularly regarding lack of WiFi, memory issues, etc. I hope this isn't de ja vu all over again.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    MG48:

Walt Mossberg in the WSJ states he 650 is better than the 700w:
    Windows Mobile software is still inferior to the Palm software for one-handed use on the go.
    Crucial email and phone functions are also weaker.
    There's a serious bug in its email software that affects individuals, though not corporate users (email program lacks many of the advanced features of VersaMail or SnapperMail on the Palm-based Treo. For instance, there's no simple way to delete -- or to mark as read -- large groups of messages).
    Treo 700w is neither as easy to use nor as powerful as the Treo 650

PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY
    By WALTER S. MOSSBERG
    A New Palm Treo Uses
    Microsoft's Software,
    But It Doesn't Beat 650
    January 5, 2006; Page A13
    [list]
    Good lite coverage of the issue in the complete article, but that's the jix of it. This guy writes good, current tech stuff and an annual electronic subscription to WSJ is cheap. Walt's long been a 650 fan. Probably can get almost anything for free ("trials") and has essentially said you can have the 650 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. I think he had to pay for the 650 though.

I do miss a better camera when I forget mine for my kids school functions.