Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have Goodlink on my Treo 650. It probably comes as no suprise this means no matter what I do I suffer from a chronic lack of memory (indeed I like so many others would list this as my #1 complaint about the 650).

I just updated to firmware 1.71 (my GPRS connection is much more reliable now in spotty areas)! In doing this I did a full reset of my device obviously. I checked my memory after installing goodlink and I have a total free space of 9.3MB! This is installing with no versamail, no tutorials, and no realplayer.

Is there anything that I can delete to help free up space on the device. When you consider that that is basically as I need it the bare device has under 10MB of memory, you probably understand why I am getting really close to dropping the Treo (I think I am waiting for the 700p to see how it is).
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    If you have a memory card, and if you haven't already tried these yet, get zLauncher or PowerRun to move all of your apps that don't have to reside in RAM. If you installed Docs2Go get their dataviz tech tool to move it to your card, don't move it using zLauncher or PowerRun, your PDA will get really wonky if you do. D@G is twitchy if you don't use DataViz's tool to move it.

I also run GoodLink on my 650 and since I installed zLauncher and Cingular's last patch I haven't had any problems running out of RAM. I am sitting at 7.6 MBs and everything runs fine.

Palm really shortchanged us on RAM so that we have to find 3rd party programs to do the things the OS should do, such as dbcache to clear the cache from time to time (I do a soft reset about every 2 - 3 days to clear that stuff out). Saddly the 650 is a bit high maintenance but it does the things I need so I put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsumner
    I have Goodlink on my Treo 650. It probably comes as no suprise this means no matter what I do I suffer from a chronic lack of memory (indeed I like so many others would list this as my #1 complaint about the 650).

I just updated to firmware 1.71 (my GPRS connection is much more reliable now in spotty areas)! In doing this I did a full reset of my device obviously. I checked my memory after installing goodlink and I have a total free space of 9.3MB! This is installing with no versamail, no tutorials, and no realplayer.

Is there anything that I can delete to help free up space on the device. When you consider that that is basically as I need it the bare device has under 10MB of memory, you probably understand why I am getting really close to dropping the Treo (I think I am waiting for the 700p to see how it is).
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    You can also look for specific help on Goodlink in the Developers Forum for GL. One of GL's programmers checks in there to answer specific ?'s about the program.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have the same setup, I use a sd card for my apps and versamail, realplayer, TT5 and I Flyzip the apps to my SD card and I have 9.9 meg always free.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts

Regular memory isn't your problem. 10 Mb free isn't bad. Versamail and Realplayer are in ROM, so don't need any regular memory. Other apps might take up some. If you want to install a bunch of other apps, you'll need power run or zlauncher to move them to your card.

Your big problem with Good is DBCache memory. Good will take up about 70% of the available cache. Versamail and RealPlayer and anything else you run will also need to get put into cache. The good news for you is that it sounds like 1.71 helps a bit with this.

You should read in the goodlink subforum about the dbcache program (to free up cache after a program is done) and rlock (to keep a few sensitive programs in cache).

It's a hassle, but you can make it work. And it is a pretty cool solution.

I'm just crossing my fingers that they'll come out with the generic GSM upgrade so I can get the better memory mgmt features too.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    What is the best way to get apps such as realplayer (which is built into the ROM) over to the SD card?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    What is the best way to get apps such as realplayer (which is built into the ROM) over to the SD card?
    There's no point in doing that. It won't help with any memory situations.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!