Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Trying to get TomTom to see my Magellan Meridian Gold GPS. Basicly I don't want to buy another expensive GPS (a bluetooth one) for my Treo since I already have one.

Using a Treo 650 with the Seidio G2500M, which has an RJ-11 serial port. I have created a cable by using the pinout guide at the bottom of a Meridian reference site (http://gpsinformation.us/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm) and the pins are labled on the circuit board of the Seidio mount. I hooked up three wires.. rx <--> tx, tx <--> rx and gnd <--> gnd.

When using the "Other NMEA wired GPS" setting in TomTom and 115200 baud on both ends (i have also tried 9600) I have had no success at getting TomTom to see the GPS. However it says it is compatible with any NMEA GPS, and the meridian is one. The Meridian has 3 different NMEA version settings, I have tried all 3 at some point but usually leave it on the last one (latest version).

Is this feasable -- using the RJ-11 jack off the Seidio G2500M, and maybe I have something with the wiring wrong or a software setting needs adjusted, or am I overlooking something that makes this scenario not possible?

Is there some kind of program I can use on the Treo 650 to at least see if I am getting raw data through the serial connection?

Can I try wiring the GPS straight to the Treo (does the treo have pinouts for serial connection), or is additional circuitry required? I assume this is the case because the Seidio mount has circuitry between the treo and the RJ-11 jack.

Thanks for any help!!

Cal
  2. MMT
    Hi! I did something like this with my Garmin eTrex Legend, but without using a cradle. I simply took the serial cable supplied with my Garmin, which provides a standard DB9 female connection, and figured out which pins provide TX and RX. Then I made a cable that connects directly to the Treo multi-sync connnector on one end and has a DB9 male connector on the other, to connect with the Garmin serial cable. Using the PalmOne SDK guide (available from Palm's Plugged-in developer site) I figured out which pins on the Treo are for serial TX and RX, and I matched those up with the Garmin pins. The Garmin TX goes to the Treo RX, and the Garmin RX goes to the Treo TX, as you describe. I didn't connect a ground wire at all. TomTom and Garmin are set to 4800 baud NMEA. Works like a charm. There is no circuitry between the Treo and Garmin in my case. Can't speak for whether this works with Magellan, of course, or with a Seidio cradle in the mix.

Here's the multi-connector pinout diagram. Hope this helps.

- MMT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks, this gives me something to go on. I will try a direct cable and then go from there. I have an extra hotsync cable I can cut the end off. Hopefully the connector has actual pins in the spots for rx and tx. Can you use other baud rates, if you change it on each end? Also my Magellan has 3 NMEA selections, 1.5 APA, 1.5 XTE, 2.1 GSA, which one should I use?

I found these descriptions on the reference site mentioned above:
    Mode "1.5 APA": APA, BWC, GLL, & VTG; Mode "1.5 XTE": BWC, GLL, VTG, & XTE; and Mode "2.1 GSA": APB, GGA*, GLL, GSA*, GSV, RMB, & RMC*.

Cal
  4. MMT
    Found here:
    http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

"The NMEA 2.3 output from the Garmin Legend, Vista, and perhaps some others include the BWC, VTG, and XTE sentences." Sounds like this is similar to your Magellan's "1.5 XTE" mode, which supports the same sentences. I don't have any idea what these terms actually mean, but 1.5 XTE mode seems promising.

Also noted is that 4800 baud is the standard speed for NMEA. You should try to get it working at that speed, then ramp up if it works at 4800. I never tried anything else as 4800 seemed to work fine.

If your cable is just for hotsync, it probably doesn't have the appropriate pins. Sync and charge cables seem to have all pins so you might have to buy one to cannibalize. Semsons has pre-made Treo connection cables for Garmin handhelds like mine, but unfortunately I don't see any for Magellan. Maybe someone else makes one.

Good luck!
    I use a Seidio G2100s cradle which is similar to yours, which powers my Holux GR-213 SirfStar III gps unit. it only works with Tom Tom @4800 baud either as a tom tom device or as any other nmea device.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Still no luck. I have 4800 baud, "NMEA V1.5 XTE" on the Magellan end, and 4800 baud, "Other Cable NMEA GPS" on the Treo end. Direct cable connection now, with rx and tx reversed, without the Seidio in the mix.

I tried all 3 NMEA settings on the GPS, still no go. I really thought the 4800 baud would do the trick because I was always using higher baud rates. Not sure what to try next!

Cal
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Have you tried just getting your GPS to work with a PC (using something free like Google Earth) to make sure the cable is pinned right?

It would be much easier to start on the PC and move to the treo, than to try and troubleshoot everything at once.

personally, I'd just bite the bullet and go for a BT GPS, so much easier to deal with on the road and much less clutter in the car.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yeah I use the Magellan quite a bit with my PC using Magellan's MapSend road atlas.

Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabraun
    Is there some kind of program I can use on the Treo 650 to at least see if I am getting raw data through the serial connection?
    I've used cotoGPS to connect with my Tomtom BT receiver. It has serial options as well so maybe it will help troubleshoot the problem.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Trying out cotoGPS now.. Thanks for the info on that program. Having no luck with it as of yet. I have tried all 3 serial selections, not sure which one to pick for the treo. I assume "Serial 0" [ser0].

Does this program, and TomTom, autodetect a GPS connected as soon as the wire is plugged in?

Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabraun
    Trying out cotoGPS now.. Does this program, and TomTom, autodetect a GPS connected as soon as the wire is plugged in?
    I had to configure cotoGPS, no autodetect. But then my receiver is bluetooth so there is no wire to plug.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well i've tried cotoGPS (can't find an autodetect setting) and another one called NMEA Monitor. Neither one can see the Magellan. *pulls hair* I am beginning to think the serial connection on my treo doesn't work.

Something else I found, http://www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html .. On that page it shows how to make a serial cable for the treo 650. Why is that one not a straight through cable? It has a chip on it.. Do I need a cable like that one instead?

Cal
  13. MMT
    Not sure why the shadowmite cable uses a chip, but such a thing may be required for your Magellan. From my (very limited) understanding, some devices expect serial signals to be of a certain type (meaning a certain voltage fluctuation, I think) while others expect something slightly different. This can lead to incompatibilities between devices. Perhaps the chip converts one type to another. My Garmin hookup has no chip at all, unless there's one buried in the serial cable that came with the GPS unit itself. I don't believe that's the case. Like with your setup, this is the cable I use to connect the GPS to my PC and it communicates with my PC serial port no problem. Unless you have some wiring problem in your custom cable, my guess is that the Magellan serial protocol is slightly different than the Treo protocol and therefore may require something like Shadowmite's chip. I actually was surprised that my home-made Garmin cable worked, because I had read about this chip and cable before.

TomTom automatically detects the GPS signal very quickly after I plug in my Garmin. I don't have to do anything in software once I plug it in. Of course, I do have to wait until the GPS has finished acquiring satellites to get a GPS signal in TomTom.
  14. MMT
    One more potential issue: what version of TomTom are you using? I was told last March by Semsons that their Garmin->Treo serial cable would only work in Mapopolis, and NOT in TomTom Navigator 2004. More info in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=79152

I never did test my cable with TomTom Nav 2004, but I know it works in version 5.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I am using version 5 of tomtom. I have tried both the siedo cradle (which has a chip and is externally powered) and directly to the treo still with no luck.

Running out of ideas here! Maybe I should post this in a magellan forum somewhere. I agree that the signal could be different (sounds like a difference in voltage, even though it still uses NMEA).

Cal
  16. MMT
    I'm afraid I'm out of ideas too, except to suggest getting a BT GPS, or a wired GPS that works with your cradle. Re-use of our existing GPS is a good idea, but it may just be more trouble than it's worth. I already cannibalized my Garmin cable for another project and will be getting a BT/serial GPS (Haitek or Holux, I think) at some point in the near future.

- MMT
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions