1.    #1  
    I'm using ZLauncher. I know that some apps can be run off of the card, and others can't. Some apps let you know they must be in main memory, but I'm sure there are many more that don't. Is there a list of apps known to work, or known to not work, when run off of SD cards?

I would have thought there would be a list by now, considering how popular ZLauncher is and how many people run apps off of their cards. I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
    The most general rule about running in RAM or off the card has to do with hotsyncing. Programs that hotsync data regularly like calendar or address apps usually must be in RAM. Some programs will allow syncing on the card and some won't.
    I keep programs that I sync often in RAM.
    Zane
    Lots of threads on this, not sure what you searched for but I doubt you did... Here's the simple version.

Must be in ram:

Stuff which runs all the time in the background (examples Chatter, Volume Care, Butler) or programs which sometimes run in the background (Snapper, PTunes). Programs which you need the Find tool to search.

If a program is moved as a SHORTCUT, it can hotsync properly, so hotsyncing is not an issue. Only other minor thing to consider is time launching and if a database changes, time saving the database back to the SD card.

As far as I know, there are otherwise no programs which CAN NOT be ran from a ZLauncher shortcut as the program (and any databases) are copied into ram first before being executed.

That said, I know at least one program (Chatter) knows it has been ran from a ZLauncher shortcut (or from the SD card in general I think) and warns you that it will not work. In general, moving Chatter to the card is a bad bad bad idea as it gets really pissed off when it tries to load and it's not in ram. However remember that Chatter falls into the "always running" category so you shouldn't try to move it anyway.

One more minor tidbit; if a file is <6k don't bother moving it as a shortcut as the shortcut itself takes around 6k of ram due to the code involved to allow hotsync, etc. In this case leave it in ram or move it to the normal /palm/launcher directory.

And please make sure you move the files within ZLauncher, not from Filez, not from the ZL File manager, etc. Example: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103086
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Lots of threads on this, not sure what you searched for but I doubt you did...
    Ahh, another reply where you're being an *** to me for no reason. How about in the future you just not reply to my threads at all. Thanks.

I did search, but the terms are quite general "zlauncher programs run from card" "zlauncher list programs card", etc. Several posts on this app or that being run from memory, but nothing concise. After searching, I asked a question -- which is how these communities work. I was asking whether a consolidated list of these applications existed. I'm still not sure, but it sounds like not.

Must be in ram:
    Stuff which runs all the time in the background (examples Chatter, Volume Care, Butler) or programs which sometimes run in the background (Snapper, PTunes).
    I knew about Chatter, etc, but I run PTunes off of my card in the background. Should I not be?

As far as I know, there are otherwise no programs which CAN NOT be ran from a ZLauncher shortcut as the program (and any databases) are copied into ram first before being executed.
    I installed a screenshot program that warned me that it can't be run from the card.

That's what got me wondering whether a list existed. This developer was professional enough to include a warning, but perhaps others didn't and, though they might seem to work from the card at first, there might be trouble down the road.

One more minor tidbit; if a file is <6k don't bother moving it as a shortcut as the shortcut itself takes around 6k of ram due to the code involved to allow hotsync, etc. In this case leave it in ram or move it to the normal /palm/launcher directory.
    See, now you're being helpful. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Ahh, another reply where you're being an *** to me for no reason. How about in the future you just not reply to my threads at all. Thanks.
    I'll make note of that. I'll start now by not replying anymore.
    If you want to listen to PTunes as you use other apps on your Treo ("in the background"), you must keep PTunes in RAM. If not, no problem running PTunes on the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    I'm using ZLauncher. I know that some apps can be run off of the card, and others can't. Some apps let you know they must be in main memory, but I'm sure there are many more that don't. Is there a list of apps known to work, or known to not work, when run off of SD cards?

I would have thought there would be a list by now, considering how popular ZLauncher is and how many people run apps off of their cards. I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.
    To answer your original question, it doesn’t look like there is such a list, just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that makes no sense to those of us without computer science degrees.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by karenct
    If you want to listen to PTunes as you use other apps on your Treo ("in the background"), you must keep PTunes in RAM. If not, no problem running PTunes on the SD card.
    Hmm... I'm listening to pTunes right now while in Agendus, and pTunes is installed on my SD card. I do notice that it keeps losing my high-rez pTunes skin from time to time, but the mp3s are playing in the background. What gives?
    How did you switch from pTunes to Agendus? Go back to the apps launcher and launch agendus or some other means?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Meh.. Might as well.

It copies it to ram first, then executes it. Then moves it back. You'll eventually wind up with a copy in ram and on the SD card this way. Otherwise, you'll see "two" copies of PTunes, one in ram and one on the SD card. It might not be a bad thing really, save ram when you're not using it.

Oh, I knew I left one thing out.. Programs which run at boot to load in the background. Like Butler, VolumeCare, etc.. Again, programs which run all the time have to be left in ram.

Just experiment, it won't hurt. Just don't move Chatter to the SD card. Only hard reset I've had to do was because of that and no amount of trying to get it cleaned up from a warm reset would help.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    How did you switch from pTunes to Agendus? Go back to the apps launcher and launch agendus or some other means?
    I have Agendus mapped to my "calendar" key, but pTunes continues to play even if I go back to ZLauncher's desktop (using the Home key) and launching Agendus from there.
    k, my guess is then that if ptunes is playing and it's enabled for background play, that it doesn't unload itself from RAM if you exit it, whereas if it was stopped when you exited it would return to the card.

This is all assuming you used the "Move to Card" feature in zLauncher right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I can't remember who wrote about the fact that the shortcut will allow you to hotsync, but thanks as I never knew that. The one program that I never created a shortcut for was Pocket Quicken. I moved it to the SD card, but had it running from the launcher folder, but wouldn't sync unless I moved it back to RAM. I will try syncing it tonight.

Thanks again. This is why I love these forums.

Now while we're on the topic of zLauncher, does anyone know if it causes a conflict with mSAFE? I did install mSafe to RAM (never moved it to the card), but it never worked when i tried sending text messages to it. The only 2 programs I could think that were causing conflicts was either zLauncher or Goodlink (the treo labotomizer). I did try exiting zlauncher and then sending a text, but no luck.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    BTW, official word on Pocket Tunes. Pretty much as I described..

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettu...faq.html#Flash

[...] note that while playing Pocket Tunes in the background, the application will remain loaded in main memory, so you may see "phantom" copies of it when using some launchers. This is normal, and the "phantom" copy should go away if you launch pTunes, hit Stop, and then exit.