1.    #1  
    I have transferred purchased iTunes video to a SD card via a Sony Handycam. Video and sound quality are excellent. This can also be done with any digital video camera that has audio/video input. Here's what you need and the step by step instructions:

1. Apple Computer. I have an iMac G5 with OS 10.4.3
    2. Digital video camera. I have a Sony DCR-TRV240.
    3. Apple mini-vga to video output adapter. Order from Apple Store.
    4. 3.5mm audio to RCA adapter. (Plugs into headphone jack on computer and splits to L/R RCA phono jacks.) You can get this at Rat Shack.
    5. Radio Shack RCA Phono Coupler 274-874.
    6. S-video cable.
    7. Video input cable that came with your digital video camera.
    8. Firewire cable that will connect digital video camera to computer.
    9. SD card for Treo 650.
    10. Video player for Treo. I use TCMP.

Digital video camera connections:
    Connect mini-vga s-video output to digital video camera input using the Apple video output adapter and s-video cable.
    Plug in 3.5mm audio to RCA to computer headphone jack. Connect RCA phono coupler to the RCA jacks.
    Use the audio/video input cable that came with your digital video camera to connect to the phono couplers. The connector colors are white and red for the audio. Connect white to white, red to red.Yellow is for video and is not used in this procedure.
    Connect firewire cable from camera to computer.
    Turn on camera in VCR mode.

Computer:
    Start iTunes if you haven't already. Go to your video library.
    Plug in mini-vga adapter to computer output. The screen will blank while it automatically switches to VGA resolution. You should see the image of the computer screen on your video camera display.

Digital video camera:
    Start recording.

Computer:
    Select the video you want to record and begin playing it. Click the full-screen icon so that the video fills your monitor screen.

Digital video camera:
    At end of video, stop recording.

Computer:
    Start iMovie.
    Rewind and then import video. Edit the beginning of the video to get a clean start.
    Select 'Share' from the File menu. Select the 'Expert Settings', then click 'Share'.
    Rename the movie if needed.
    At 'Export' select 'Movie to QuickTime Movie.
    Click 'Options'. The 'Movie Settings' window appears. Click 'Settings'.
    At 'Compression Type' select 'MPEG-4 Video.
    At 'Frame Rate', select 'Current'.
    At 'Data Rate', select 'Restrict to' and enter '700' kbs/sec. (You can experiment with less data rate to decrease video file size. FYI, the Gorillaz FeelGood Inc video is about 4 1/2 minutes long and the file size was 66.5mb.)
    Click 'OK' to save and exit window. You're back at the 'Movie Settings' window.
    Click 'Size'. Select 'Use Custom Size' and enter '320' and '240'. (Again, you can experiment with smaller size to decrease file size.) Click 'OK'.
    You're back at the 'Save as ...' window. Click 'Save'.

The video is compressed and saved. Copy video to your SD card.
    Plug card into Treo. Start TCMP and select 'Open' and navigate to where you copied the video.

I hope that this is helpful. I'll be checking back to answer what questions I can. If I can't answer your questions, I'm sure someone in the Treocentral community can.

Aloha,
    Craig
    Never underestimate the power of
    human stupidity
    Just to add to the "Computer" steps: if you have Quicktime Pro ($29.99), you can open the recorded video directly in QT and export "Movie to iPod" (320x237, 700 kb/sec). 22 min=~100MB
    Hmmm that's a lot of crap to do u guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Hmmm that's a lot of crap to do u guys.
    What he said. Methinks I'll wait a while.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Wow, I guess it's worth it if you do a good number of videos in a sitting. I don't think I would do that for a single episode.

Nice job though.

One question though; if you have QT Pro, can you just take the downloaded iTunes video episode and change the file type to view it on a Treo? I didn't buy the new QT Pro.
    Thanks!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  6.    #6  
    Qt Pro doesn't allow you to share or export .m4v files. Videos purchased from iTunes are in this DRM'd format.
    Never underestimate the power of
    human stupidity
    why don't you just install jhymn and de'DRM the iTMS video file??? the method you described is ridicolous...
    Will jhymn work with video? It only talks about music on their website.
    well the guy was describing importing video. Now lets say you have a bunch of DiVX, or AVI files downloaded from BitTorrent. Simply use Quicktime Pro to export the file as something compatible with TCPMP.

That "something" is hard to find though. I am currently using an OLD version of TCPMP ("unstable 0.65") because it WILL play back QT exported files. The new version won't because it "violates intellectual property laws" so the feature is disabled.

I have used Quicktime to export to .3GP format, video isn't great BUT will play back fine using Treo's Media application.
    Quote Originally Posted by jptv
    well the guy was describing importing video. Now lets say you have a bunch of DiVX, or AVI files downloaded from BitTorrent. Simply use Quicktime Pro to export the file as something compatible with TCPMP.

That "something" is hard to find though. I am currently using an OLD version of TCPMP ("unstable 0.65") because it WILL play back QT exported files. The new version won't because it "violates intellectual property laws" so the feature is disabled.

I have used Quicktime to export to .3GP format, video isn't great BUT will play back fine using Treo's Media application.
    Actually, he wasn't describing 'importing' video. He was describing how to get protected (DRM'd) video purchased from Itunes onto your treo. Other users (including me) are looking for another way to do this without having to 'tape' it to a video camera and then reimport it. I do have the older version of TCPMP that does play those files, but it still doesn't play DRM'd files (files with Digitial Rights Management i.e. protected...)