1.    #1  
    does anyone out there also experience poor signal, i switched from a sanyo mm8300 on sprint to a treo 650 also on sprint. usually only have 2 bars on the antenna vs. full bars with the sanyo
    "Bars" are a graphic indication of signal strength and may not be apples to oranges from one phone to another. It may very well be that full bars on the Sanyo is equal in signal strength to the 2 bars on the Treo. The key is usability. I have found my Treo to be an equal to my prior phone in geographic usability.

Also if you key in ##33284# from within the phone application you will go to a screen that shows you your signal strength in a numerical value. I think the larger the negative RSSI value the better.

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    that was a quick reply. what app. do i type that code in from.
    pardon my ignorance, i've only had the phone for a week
  4.    #4  
    never mind i got it
  5.    #5  
    rssi val = -96 is that good
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman
    rssi val = -96 is that good
    I'm in my basement with alternating 1 and 2 bars and my RSSI is at -96. I believe I tried it on the highway once near a tower that I thought was Sprint when I had 4 bars and I got a -107.

Cheers, Perry
  7.    #7  
    thats funny i'm in my basement also.
    we must be a couple of celler-dwellers
  8.    #8  
    do you know of anyone who makes an aftermarket antenna, metal nub or retractable
    No I don't. But it has been talked about. Try a search on "antenna" and see what threads come up.
    posts #11 and #12 look promising in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...tenna+extender
  11.    #11  
    thanx for the help !
    nice chatting
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I'm in my basement with alternating 1 and 2 bars and my RSSI is at -96. I believe I tried it on the highway once near a tower that I thought was Sprint when I had 4 bars and I got a -107.

Cheers, Perry

Okay, my bad! It's the reverse -- the "lower the negative number" . . . the better the signal. Tried it at "full bars" today and got a -66. I do remember going as "high" as -107 when I played around with that 6-7 months ago. That must have been at "zero" bars.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quotes from this old thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=3&pp=20

1. Actually RSSI values on the Treo range approximately from -105 (no signal) to -50 (standing in front of a tower).

2. RSSI is the "Receive Signal Strengh Indication" which is typically reported in dBm, decibels referenced to one milliwatt. So a value of 0 dBm means you have a one milliwatt signal, a value of -20 dBm (which would give 4 bars) means you have a 0.01 milliwatt signal. The SNR is the difference between the noise floor (signal strength of the RF noise on the channel) and the RSSI of the data signal.

Normally roaming is controlled by the network not by the phone. This minimizes roaming events (which may interrupt data flow) and allows the network to balance load between cells. It also means the phone may stick with a weak signal much longer than you would want; forcing the phone to re-scan may result in a stronger cell being selected.