1.    #1  
    This is a link to a story at 1SRC regarding Garmin's announcement that their GPS10 Bluetooth receive will not work with the balance of BT enabled Palm devices including the Treo.

As an owner of a Garmin iQue 3600 and former owner of a TomTom system for a T3.....this is good news for us Treo owners that want an alternative, IMHO.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    This is awesome.. I asked Garmin about this when the GPS 10 first came out. I don't see info on their web-site yet.

It would be cool if you could order the software separately...

I'm assuming the Garmin software would be close to the ique and much better then TomTom.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    This is awesome.. I asked Garmin about this when the GPS 10 first came out. I don't see info on their web-site yet.

It would be cool if you could order the software separately...

I'm assuming the Garmin software would be close to the ique and much better then TomTom.
    Yes, it's not yet made their web page but that's probably because it was a press release that 1SRC caught for CES. Based upon the software and the fact that Garmin did release a new Palm based iQue 3000 as well with the birdseye view software on it.....it will be interesting to see the specs when they do hit Garmin's web page. Garmin has done this in the past with press releases and subsequently the web page takes a day or two to catch up.

My experience with TomTom was on a T3 and I just hated it. I now use a 2620 anyway and have very little desire to run a BT GPS but felt it was important to share.

I also have a Garmin 2730 on order and should be able to pick it up next week while I'm in Las Vegas at GPSCity if it's shipped.

I still use my Que for travel to Hawaii but that's another story for another time.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    interesting...I also hope they offer the software separately (I've got GPS receievers coming out my ears), I'd like to see some competition for TomTom on the Palm...TT's 3d navigation is nice but it does have its quirks.. It would be nice if you can trial the software to compare and also if its available for the PC and Palm (so I can use the same stuff on my laptop). Does anybody have any good pictures of the software running on a Que (either their WinMobile or Palm units?)
    I hope Garmin has improved the latest implementation. I tried the ipaq a year ago and it was really disappointing. When it comes to traffic, I like TomTom. When it comes to topo, I like Garmin. I wish one of them would excel at both.
    fyi...if you click on the product showcase link on this page
    http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3000/#
    it will show a couple screenshots of their Nav software running on the Garmin palm device (I assume they are releasing this same software for use on your own palm device)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by davisdog
    interesting...I also hope they offer the software separately (I've got GPS receievers coming out my ears), I'd like to see some competition for TomTom on the Palm...TT's 3d navigation is nice but it does have its quirks.. It would be nice if you can trial the software to compare and also if its available for the PC and Palm (so I can use the same stuff on my laptop). Does anybody have any good pictures of the software running on a Que (either their WinMobile or Palm units?)
    They'll have some shots up in a couple of days - probably after CES.

The older Que's used the two dimensional map sets. Garmin also released a Que 3000 today that's in the Palm 320 X 320 format here. One can only hope that it will be the same basic software.

You can also get a look from that site of some of the "other" screen shots for the Palm and PPC devices....those would probably be the best shots. I can say that they are representative of what the iQue 3600 has.
    Moose Man
    I have a Garmin 2610 that I love. I don't like to take it on Business trips, because it is kind of bulky.

If the GPS 10 is at least as good as that software, then it should be great. Also, the GPS 10 comes with software for your Laptop too. I'm not sure if the license lets you use the maps on both devices at the same time, but it says it comes with both versions of software for the PocketPC version.
    Choices can only me one thing...LOWER PRICES Oh I will take one of those GPS receivers off your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    This is a link to a story at 1SRC regarding Garmin's announcement that their GPS10 Bluetooth receive will not work with the balance of BT enabled Palm devices including the Treo.

As an owner of a Garmin iQue 3600 and former owner of a TomTom system for a T3.....this is good news for us Treo owners that want an alternative, IMHO.

Didn't you say the press release says it won't work? Why is this "good news"???
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Didn't you say the press release says it won't work? Why is this "good news"???
    ...nevermind. Alright, now I need some questions answered. Somebody needs to get their hands on this and review it, ASAP!!! (You listening James?)
    1. Can this be run off SD?? Cuz, if it can't it's pointless.
    2. What voices are offered? I want "Sexy British Jane"!!!
    3. How does the "search" function work out? Can you search POI's WITHOUT going into individual categories? This seems to be one of the biggest complaints against TomTom.
    4. Can you look up destinations out of your contacts? For example, I lookup "Paul Brickwood" and his address is there. Can I then use the GPS to route me to Paul's house? Without this it seems pointless.

ANSWERS!ANSWERS!ANSWERS!

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Reply I got from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist
    you.

I do not have a specific date as to when those will start popping
    up at vendors but I would suspect it should be relatively soon. As far as
    working with your TOM TOM our software is proprietary so it will only work
    with a garmin unit. You would have to purchase the GPS 10 to use it with
    your Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Reply I got from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist
    you.

I do not have a specific date as to when those will start popping
    up at vendors but I would suspect it should be relatively soon. As far as
    working with your TOM TOM our software is proprietary so it will only work
    with a garmin unit. You would have to purchase the GPS 10 to use it with
    your Palm.
    I'm not sure they understood the question (or how you asked it)...

But the real question is can Garmins new palm based Navigation Software be bought/installed separately (w/o thereGPS receiver), and will it work with other standard B/T or Serial GPS receivers (that people already have for their Palm devices)...It really has nothing to do with TomTom.

-steve
    I told them I had a TomTom Bluetooth GPS device.
    Here is a link to some documentation for the Que application for Palm for the GPS 10:
    http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/...sforPalmOS.pdf