1.    #1  
    is it normal for a treo running TomTom with a new GPS receiver to lose signal when there's cloud cover?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    No - definately not. I'm using mine in Norway with the topography we have over here with no prob. Definately tis would be a harder challence than clouds

Which GPS-receiver do you use? A new one with SirfStar III?
    If so - it should be able to keep signal from a glove compartment according to other users. Mine is not as good as that (TomTom original MkI - w/ SirfStar II)

However most GPS receivers must "see the sky". Windscreens in busses and campers is usually a challenge because the steep windscreen makes the roof cover too much of the sight to the satelittes. Using SirfStar II usually means external antennas in Norway...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Which GPS-receiver do you use? A new one with SirfStar III?
    Its a newer one with a SirfStar III chip and it has worked perfectly for 4 days. Today when i started my car to come home from work TomTom reported that it had no signal and has done so ever since. Ugh.....
    I have the Delorme Bluelogger and once it acquires signal, it's hard for it to loose it. I have been in major storms and it's been okay. I've carried it into the house and it still has not lost signal.
  5.    #5  
    Hmmm, seems like there maybe a hardware issue then. The only thing i changed between it working when i went to work, and when it stopped is that i added a new voice file. I'll remove that and see if anything changes.
  6.    #6  
    hah, well that was a long shot.... and it didnt work....
    what brand of GPS are you using?
    Are you using Bluetooth GPS? Try repairing the Treo to the GPS device.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  9.    #9  
    Im using the Seidio G4850M cradle unit. No bluetooth involved....
  10.    #10  
    After a soft reset all is good.

BTW, im lovin the Seidio unit and the TomTom software. All very very cool!
    Glad you were able to get it working again!
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Next time that happens try flipping the GPS device to "Tomtom Cable" instead of "Other NMEA". My 4850M flips back and forth, sometimes it wants "Other NMEA" sometimes "Tomtom cable"..
    A little off topic, but since you all are using the Tom Tom software on your Treos..... How do you make the screen stay on? My keeps shutting off at whatever my Auto-Off setting is. So, every 3 minutes, the screen goes dark, I hit a key, it comes back up and has to reconnect to the receiver. Obviously annoying when driving. I have looked all over for a setting, can't find anything. Any help?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rondmcd
    A little off topic, but since you all are using the Tom Tom software on your Treos..... How do you make the screen stay on? My keeps shutting off at whatever my Auto-Off setting is. So, every 3 minutes, the screen goes dark, I hit a key, it comes back up and has to reconnect to the receiver. Obviously annoying when driving. I have looked all over for a setting, can't find anything. Any help?
    With this little program
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    With this little program

I thought this was fixed in TOM TOM's latest update?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I thought this was fixed in TOM TOM's latest update?
    Indeed it has, but AlwaysOn will also fix the issue; and could be less trouble implementing
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by rondmcd
    STOIC (Stay On In Cradle)

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/stoic(stayonincradle).shtml
  18.    #18  
    TomTom keeps the screen on all the time for me, using 5.20