Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I selected fastest route, but TomTom took me a full 50 miles out of my way!

I was driving this wkend from West Orange, NJ to Beachwood, OH - a trip that my family makes at least once a year. It is the easiest directions in the world - get on I80 & go west. On the return trip back east, I decided to test out my spanking new BT GPS with TomTom sw. Now, getting to I80 can be a bit tricky, and I've missed some turnoffs on previous trips. TT navigated these flawlessly.

But then, TomTom advised me to get off of I80 and onto I81 S. I figured that it had found a minor shortcut that might save me a few miles, so I decided to give it a shot. Instead, TT ended up taking me all the way down to the PA turnpike, through Pittsburgh, and then back up to I80 on the other side of the state! Even worse than driving an extra hour through the pouring rain was having to listen to my gloating family who will never let me live this down!

Will I ever be able to trust TomTom's directions again? Certainly my wife won't. Maybe I shouldn't have used the voice with the English accent while driving in the US?
    I find TomTom very useful but it isn't 100% accurate in terms of getting you someplace in the shortest time. I don't know if that's a TomTom problem or an issue with the mapping service they use. So far, I haven't found a situation where it has found a route shorter then one I was already aware of, but in all instances it has found a viable route.

The main reason I have it is to save my a$$ in the event that I am hopelessly lost. In such a case, as long as it gets me to where I'm going I'm not to upset if the route wasn't the most direct.

Experimenting with it over known routes is the best way to familiarize yourself with its shortcomings. It's not perfect, but in the short time I've had it, it's saved me a couple of times in major traffic problems by allowing me to confidently leave an area to route around the incident.

I always wonder how it performs in comparison to in-car systems.

That said, I usually verify the directions in the Browse Map view and if there appears to be a shorter route I'll ask it to avoid a portion of the route and then it generally routes around appropriately.
    The thing to be careful about is that shorter doesn't always equal faster. You could take side roads between freeways but the speed limit on them is lower and you have to deal with lights. Like MarkY, I use GPS more for when I have no idea where I'm at and just want to get to my destination. If I have a "normal route," I go by it and not what TT says.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharFeld
    I selected fastest route, but TomTom took me a full 50 miles out of my way!

I was driving this wkend from West Orange, NJ to Beachwood, OH - a trip that my family makes at least once a year. It is the easiest directions in the world - get on I80 & go west. On the return trip back east, I decided to test out my spanking new BT GPS with TomTom sw. Now, getting to I80 can be a bit tricky, and I've missed some turnoffs on previous trips. TT navigated these flawlessly.

But then, TomTom advised me to get off of I80 and onto I81 S. I figured that it had found a minor shortcut that might save me a few miles, so I decided to give it a shot. Instead, TT ended up taking me all the way down to the PA turnpike, through Pittsburgh, and then back up to I80 on the other side of the state! Even worse than driving an extra hour through the pouring rain was having to listen to my gloating family who will never let me live this down!

Will I ever be able to trust TomTom's directions again? Certainly my wife won't. Maybe I shouldn't have used the voice with the English accent while driving in the US?
    Same thing here. I live in Morristown and a trip to Newark took me up 287 to 80 to 46 then back to 280 when I could have easily jumped on 24. For those of you not familiar with Jersey driving it can be quite challenging with few places to turn around if you've missed you turn. TomTom has, however, been worth its weight in gold as it took me directly to my specified destination in Newark. You do not want to get lost in Newark. Period.
    Overall, totally happy.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    This may not be only a Tom Tom issue. When I've rented from Hertz and ordered NeverLost, I always generate a couple of maps from google, mapquest, or yahoo (normally from two of the three). I just feel safer and it's prevented me from getting lost a few times.

Also, my wife gets a great deal of comedic value out of listening to me argue with the far too pleasant voice coming from the NeverLost. I think NL should implement different programs for the voice, such as nagging mother-in-law, surfer dude, and sexpot
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I asked my brother, who has a Garmin standalone device, to plot a map from Beachwood, OH to West Orange NJ to see how that device does. I will post the results in case anyone is interested. I would be curious to see how other devices, esp. the TomTom Go does. MapQuest gives the correct directions - basically I80 all the way.

What I don't get is how the TomTom programmers could mess up the most basic, simplest rule of distance that every grade school kid knows: ie, the shortest distance btw 2 points is a straight line! I80 is literally a straight line btw my start and end point. The TomTom software analyzed something like "400000 roads" when it was calculating my route - how could it miss the straight line? And I'm not talking about a side road with lights, here - I'm talking about INTERSTATE 80!

Yes, it serves me right for trusting a computer over my instincts. And next time I will definitely review the route first. But still - 50 miles out of the way? On a ~400 mile trip? Yeesh!!

BTW - Nagging Mother-in-law? Who would pay money for that?
    Last edited by CharFeld; 01/03/2006 at 08:43 PM.
    I use the TT700 and I have never had a wrong turn yet. Love it!!!
    Of course, there are quite a few voices to choose from... I chose the sexy Australian guy... Very "Down Under", if you know what I mean!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick
    I use the TT700 and I have never had a wrong turn yet. Love it!!!
    Of course, there are quite a few voices to choose from... I chose the sexy Australian guy... Very "Down Under", if you know what I mean!
    ...for some reason I find this very disturbing.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    No more than my using the Jane UK voice because I have a thing for British accents.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Fastest seems to have a marked preference for Interstates over highways over any other. Shortest on the other hand seems to avoid them. Be sure that you have not chosen the option to avoid tolls. Consider using itineraries.
    See, voices aren't an odd idea. I just want to add personality to those voices!

As for the Mother-In-Law personallity, I figure that if I'm going to argue with the GPS anyways, I might as well get in some practice for the next time my M-i-L comes to visit!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Be sure that you have not chosen the option to avoid tolls. Consider using itineraries.
    I surely did not choose the option to avoid tolls - the out-of-the-way PA Turnpike that TT directed me to was a toll road all the way, whereas the more direct Interstate 80 is not! So in addition to taking me 50 miles out of my way (still can't get over that), TomTom also cost me more money! I can't wait to see my next EZ-Pass bill. I will have to test out the itinerary option to see if it gives any better results.

Quote Originally Posted by JHromadka
    No more than my using the Jane UK voice because I have a thing for British accents.
    I too picked Jane UK -she sounded more interesting than the American- but I think Jane just compounded my problems. In retrospect, I should have picked the American Male. Firstly, maybe the American wouldn't have gotten so lost going from Ohio to New Jersey! But more importanly, the female immediately provoked some competitiveness with the missus: ("How come you listen to her, but you never listen to me?! ")
    Quote Originally Posted by CharFeld
    But more importanly, the female immediately provoked some competitiveness with the missus: ("How come you listen to her, but you never listen to me?! ")
    Hahaha, now thats funny.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Well, I tried entering the same NJ-OH route again using itineraries, as suggested above, but I ended up with the same ridiculously out-of-the-way directions. Any other ideas?
    I don't have one of these at all, but my father's RoadMate had out-of-date maps in it. It was interesting driving on a road a couple of years old that the RoadMate didn't think existed. Maybe you need to update your maps?

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Disturbing?? Distracting might be a better term. Between the picture and the commen, I can't concentrate on what I'm doing because I keep asking myself how hard it would be to develop an Aussie accent...