1.    #1  
    Newbie here... I too got a new toy for Xmas... I have been a Palm user since the beginning...

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this and Verizon Tech Support hasn't helped either. I'm getting these annoying "dong" tones totally at random. Sometimes even in the middle of the night. No alarms set or anything and they go away when I turn off the phone. I asked Tech Supp if it had something to do with being on the fringe of the network and losing a signal but they said no. That's what I think it is... Is there any way to turn this "notification" off?

My apologies if I am missing something simple/stupid.

Great forum... Thanks for your help!
    Prefs app -> Sound & Alerts -> Phone -> Tones ->

Turn off "Service Tone"
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    the dong tones (3 or 4 of them in a row...) that i get are versamail alerts telling me i have pop msgs that have been downloaded to the phone. are you using versamail to automatically dl your email? if so...you can set it to just alert you during a certain time of day (i almost want to say the default is 8am - 5pm...but not sure).
    If it's the in service vs. out of service indicator, that's in Preferences / Sounds & Alerts / Phones / Tones / Service Tone "Off"
    You can also turn off the mail alert tones altogether...that's what I did. Now I get the flashing asterisk with no sounds.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    If it's the in service vs. out of service indicator, that's in Preferences / Sounds & Alerts / Phones / Tones / Service Tone "Off"
    Heh..that took me about a day and a half over Christmas Vacation to figure out. I kept hearing the "dong" and it took me about a day to figure out it was me "donging".
    somehow i think the word "dong" might want to be changed to "ding".

ding dongs however are mighty tasty