Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    This issue will become a thing of the past but we are still plagued with it on our Treo 650s for as long as we have them and I shall lambast Palm at every opportunity.

There are some here who have ranted about how 32MB of RAM - 22MB of usable RAM to be *shared* amongst storage and system on the Palm is just fine. Well, even with the limitations of keeping at least 4MB open to run many Palm apps I found that playing MP3s in the background with pTunes or other audio app would crash with that little RAM if trying to use another app at the same time. I'll need at least 6MB of free RAM, leaving me with anywhere from 14-16MB for storage space for applications and data. What a joke. It's frustrating.

Don't know about you guys but I really don't want to replace this phone and wouldn't if it had enough RAM. Unlike what marketers think, I will absolutely not pay $650+ and commit to a two year contract for Palm's latest POS. I'm just mad and needed to vent to fellow owners.... I'm sick and tired of endless manual memory management...
    Hi Slinky!

Feel Better?

Cheers, Perry
    Zlauncher addresses this problem very nicely for only $20 (I'm still running the free demo). There are other commercial choices as well, although no free options that I'm aware of.

I received some nice help getting started at this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102198
    Most people that need lots of memory know how to maximize it with Zlauncher or Filez or something. There are many threads about how to best utilize memory. Sure, it would be nice to have more but it doesn't.
    I have 13.5 MB free, and the only thing I've done is moved Docs 2 Go, documents, and media to the expansion card. Of course, I always install new apps to the card when I can, but I don't use any special launcher. I do have Java installed in the memory, which takes up quite a bit of space.

I don't know what all you have installed, but do you need all of it? Can you purge some emails? I don't keep most emails on my T650; I keep them on my laptop permanently and delete them from the phone as soon as I don't need them any more.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Problem is that a lot of my apps just need to be in RAM, point blank, or they don't work. My emails are kept on the card (I use Snappermail.) Applications like Verichat refuse to work on the card... Whatever. I'll have to do some major shuffling and I hate to now dump Docs to go onto a card too...

I think Perry knows how I'm feeling, lol.
    I hate to now dump Docs to go onto a card too
    Why do you hate to do that? It runs just as good on the card for me and saves about 4mb. Just remember to close the document before you exit. If you don't use ZLauncher, I can understand your frustration.
    I actually have quite a bit of software installed on the card and once I moved Docs 2 Go, I've got 18 MB of free RAM.
    Slinky:

I have no doubt that you have a lot of software installed, but my question was, do you need it? You must either have a whole lot of software, or either a few very large ones.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Why do you hate to do that? It runs just as good on the card for me and saves about 4mb. Just remember to close the document before you exit. If you don't use ZLauncher, I can understand your frustration.
    Because it's one less thing that he'll be able to complain about. LOL