1.    #1  
    I have a friend who has a Mac he uses for business use and wants to buy a PDA which will do as many things as possible. He wants to link up with Word, Excel and Entourage, would prefer an all in one phone/PDA plus satnav (for UK and Europe). I have a 650 with a 1 gig card and use 10.4.3 and missing sync, I love it all and it works well except the lack of memory which was a big surprise when I changed from the 600, I only have 2.4 meg free.
    I am therefore reluctant to recommend this set up because of the possible memory problem and would like to hear other people's opinion, I am aware there is a similar thread from yesterday but this friend has been looking at an XDA windows smartphone which he has been assured will work fine with Mac and I know nothing about this. Also I wondered if he might be better off with a palm TX which has 128 meg or a lifedrive with 4 gig and team it up with a mobile(cell) phone. Love to hear comments from anyone with any experience of any of the above, you're such a knowledgeable bunch. Thanks Mel.
    Why not just get Zlauncher and run apps from the memory card? With a 1GB card you don't have to worry about memory.

Also, have you updated your phone's firmware lately? Not sure from reading your post. But the latest firmware's have addressed the memory issues quite nicely. I have a ton of apps on my Treo and still have just over 10 MB's free.

In terms of whether or not the Treo can do what your friend requires. Why not? Why would you want to carry 2 devices? The Treo 650 can do everything you need it to do.
  3.    #3  
    trowa brought up the point of firmware and I have checked this and I seem to have the latest for my GSM unlocked. There has been a thread running about power and how to get around it and there seems to be some disagreement as to Zlauncher, some people suggest other apps, I did try Zlauncher on the 600 but found it over complicated perhaps I'll try it again but aren't there a lot of apps that will not run from the card?
    I agree with trowa's comments.

Personally, no memory problem since the upgrade firmware. Have you moved the "docs to go" software to the SD card?

With respect to GPS, TomTom is the way to go. TomTom also makes install software for the Mac, but the mac software can be a little tricky.

I like Zlauncher. In particular, I like the fact that I can make my Treo look like a Mac with Zlaucher Mac themes.
    TomTom is hands down the best nav software. I've used it for years on Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Palm and the standalone Go models.

Mel, I have the same combo as you (a Powerbook, Treo and Missing Sync) and love it. It is a superb setup. I also have an iPaq 4700, and can assure you (and your friend) that it doesn't play ball with my Powerbook nearly as well as the Treo...and then only with Missing Sync for WM, which is slightly flaky as compared to the Palm version.

I have a metric shedload of software on my Treo and still have 11 megs free...I'm not a zLauncher fan (I use Initiate as my launcher, brilliant) so I use PowerRun to move rarely used apps (games etc) to the SD card. PowerRun will also move app data, which I am not sure if zLauncher does.

Also, for Docs to Go, go and get the special utility from them, DataVizTech it's called, and move the apps with that only...some parts have to be kept in RAM.

Powerbook + Treo is my vote, especially as we have a firmware/software upgrade coming at the end of the month (fairly solid rumour).

Rgds, J

PS Major plug for Chattermail, if your mate is a traveller he will find it indispensable. If I am only going on a business trip for a few days I often leave the Powerbook behind and work from my Treo. Chatter is that good when combined with a good IMAP mail provider (Runbox or Fastmail).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jereboam
    I have a metric shedload of software on my Treo and still have 11 megs free...I'm not a zLauncher fan (I use Initiate as my launcher, brilliant) so I use PowerRun to move rarely used apps (games etc) to the SD card. PowerRun will also move app data, which I am not sure if zLauncher does.
    I tried and don't like ZLauncher either. I use hi-launcher myself and PowerRun to move apps to the card. I would try each out for a while and then make a decision. I even liked LauncherX better than ZLauncher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jereboam
    PS Major plug for Chattermail, if your mate is a traveller he will find it indispensable. If I am only going on a business trip for a few days I often leave the Powerbook behind and work from my Treo. Chatter is that good when combined with a good IMAP mail provider (Runbox or Fastmail).
    I use Chatter and it's excellent. I have both my personal and work email come through with Chatter, which has a nice "Summary" screen that color codes your accounts so you can easily see all new email.

Good luck!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Nav 5 and Palm when working properly are pretty hard to beat.

****BUT BEWARE****

If something goes wrong and one must deal with customer/technical support.....forget it. Absolutely Disgraceful. What a joke. I would tell anyone who asks exactly the same.

They are losing me.
    I've always had reasonable support from TomTom. I am not so keen on their software activation though...it's a pain.
  9.    #9  
    This is what the discussions are all about, thanks you guys. I originally asked a question to help a friend and end up not only helping him but resolving problems of my own . I installed Power-Run, used it and now have 12.4 meg free space, brilliant. I can now with confidence reccomend a Treo 650 with a Tom Tom sat nav and missing sync and I hope he will be as happy with it as I am. I have also taken on boardc the comments about Chatter mail. Thanks again everyone, you all helped.
    Always a pleasure, as you say that's what the boards are all about...

The Treo is really the best converged device at the moment, bar none.

By the way, another great app is mobileClock (used to be called Bob's Alarm) - it has never failed to fire and wake me up, unlike a few other alarm apps.

Cheers, J
    YES: Powerbook, T650, Missing Sync.... yes, Yes, YES!!
    -Dean
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    YES: Powerbook, T650, Missing Sync.... yes, Yes, YES!!
    -Dean
    I'll second that!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I use windows XP pro for my xpress mail base, with a treo. It is pretty cool being able to log into xpress mail on my Mac Ibook G4 and pull up any docs from my work PC to the Mac laptop. (I must say the iBook does a better job of displaying Windows apps/docs accurately than other Windows versions or other Window Word versions do between themselves). I do have this weird annoying problem though-- if a session times out, I cannot reenter my password to get back into Xpressmail without it telling me I need to install Xpressmail download for Windows onto the Mac. If I disconnect from the internet and log back in- presto! everything is right there. Anybody else know what I am missing? Are there system prefs somewhere in the Xpressmail to designate this second PC I am logging in with?

Other than that- I have heard that previous to Mac OS X, Palm/Treo sync was sometimes challenging. I am not sure if this was addressed by Palm or Mac in the Treo updaters or in the Apple OS X version.