Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been extensively (business & private) using the Treo for 14 months now and I am still amazed how little problems it has given me so far. It has been working/synching absolutely flawlessly with my Linux (Fedora/KDE) environment from the very beginning - absolutely no problems whatsoever. The device has probably not even one reset a month! Since I equipped it with an 1GB SD I use it as an MP3 Player in my car as well ... cool stuff.

It also serves me pretty well as I flightlogger (paired with BT GPS) running SoaringPilot Software during my paragliding trips producing perfect OLC approved IGC log files.

The lack of WiFi concerned me a bit in the beginning but since I can access all my mail (IMAP and POP) for a quick review on the road via GPRS - and this is what it's really designed for (not more not less) - I'm perfectly fine with that. Honestly, who the hell is really using his Palm for extensive websurfing??

As for all the complaints here in the forum - they are way overblown and I am sick of them. Don't you people have other stuff to do in life than going on and on about nothing!? This little device has almost no shortcomings and 99.9% of the resets are due to uncleanly programmed 3rd party software.

One happy user from Austria

Regards,

+chh

For your reference here is the software I use:

Agendus Pro + Agendus Mail SSL
    Call Filter
    Documents to Go (Word&Excel only)
    SoaringPilot
    PTunes
    TCPMP
    CetusGPS
    ChessTiger
    Go81
    Zap!2016
    FileZ
    Hi Chabich!!

I agree in the most part, except with the little overboard on the tone. However, this is TreoCentral Discussion and people usually come here to find a resolution to a problem. I think the complaining part comes from the fact that people do love their Treo's, have high expectations for it's use and get frustrated.
    It's the TreoCental family's job to cheer them up!

Have a Great New Year!

(There are 50,000+ TC members and how many Treos have been sold? (I think there was reference to over 1 million 600's sold a few months back) So, anyway -- we are the minority and present a skewed view of the complete Treo user base. There are many happy campers out there! I AM ONE OF THEM.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/03/2006 at 10:52 AM.
    I agree that the Treo is fine now but this is only after numerous firmware updates.

The fact is that prior to the memory fix anybody using a big program (ex. Goodlink) had a lot of problems.

For some Carriers it took over six months for this to be fixed.

Unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by chabich
    This little device has almost no shortcomings and 99.9% of the resets are due to uncleanly programmed 3rd party software.
    I like the Treo too overall and agree with the premise of your message in general, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I used to make the same claim of "3rd party software" and "user error" until I had my 300 replaced for the first time, then the 600, then the 650.

First, I've probably had more resets with the POS they call VersaMail than anything else (until I stopped using it on day 2).

Furthermore, I'm on my second Treo and this too will go back in a few days for "memorymgr.c" errors. Apparently this occurs when parts of RAM are physically damaged. It starts with a few spontaneous resets a day, then builds to over five resets an hour. The only solution is to get the device replaced. It's good that this is a limited issue, but to have memory fail in ANY device is just inexcusable, and there are entire threads dedicated to this issue.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've had my Cingular branded 650 since September, and after the last firmware/software upgrade I've had virtually no problems at all.
    I also agree that the Treo is a great concept device, and a blast to use. But if it were not for the forum here, many of us would have chunked it long ago. This is where we have the opportunity to share the problems that come up, and many problems HAVE come up. Also, we can't complain to our spouses because they're sick of our Treos, so any amount of grousing we need to do has to land somewhere, and this is the place.
    Agree with original poster, that things works, hardcore. Just stop screwing around with it!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I like the Treo too overall and agree with the premise of your message in general, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

First, I've probably had more resets with the POS they call VersaMail than anything else (until I stopped using it on day 2).

For the record, Versamail IS an "uncleanly programmed third party app"

I affectionately call it a piece of crap.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    For the record, Versamail IS an "uncleanly programmed third party app"

I affectionately call it a piece of crap.....
    I also use similar terms to refer to it, but let's not forget - it's an "uncleanly programmed PALM-developed app"
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I firmly agree with chabich
    Right on.
    I'll chime in that I love this thing. I have no complaints and was one of the first to purchase the unlocked GSM from palm (yep, one of the $100 off deals cause I couldn't wait :-) ).

Anyways, it was a little rocky at first, I had the sim tray issue (which paper shims fixed temporarily then a replacement phone fixed permanently). But since then, 99.9% uptime.

As you said, forums are where people come when they have problems or questions, so it's definetly skewed. It does get frustrating when people all seem to start there post with "This phone SUCKS!!!ARGHGHGHGHG" all the time, cause one thing didn't work the way THEY wanted it too. Some are palm issues, but most are user error or 3rd party software.

Anyways, just another VERY VERY happy palm user who has returned (been well over 3 years since my last Palm IIIx before getting the Treo 650).

Call Filter
    SoaringPilot
    PTunes
    TCPMP
    CetusGPS
    ChessTiger
    Go81
    Zap!2016
    FileZ
    I also love my 650 and agree that a lot of folks go way overboard on the complaints. However, your own post shows that the 650 was not perfect out of the box:

-Agendus a much better calander than the very limited one 650 comes with
    -Agendus mail much better for many than Versamail which has caused problems of a lot of users
    -PTunes far superior to RealPlayer
    -FileZ an essential utility Palm left out

and, for me I would add that

LEDoff
    VolumeCare
    TakePhone
    DimOff
    2Day
    Butler

all have essential features that the 650 should have had in it and that, without, make it much less useful a device. In addition, in the early days, had it not been for the voice quality patch and the custom ROMs available here and, eventually, Shadowmite, and the assistance on memory issues, MANY people would have returned their 650.

So is the 650 great? You bet! Was it perfect? Nope, it has some very serious problems at the beginning and, even today, lacks some things that I think it should have had.
    I've been extensively (business & private) using the Treo for 14 months now and I am still amazed how little problems it has given me so far. It has been working/synching absolutely flawlessly with my Linux (Fedora/KDE) environment from the very beginning - absolutely no problems whatsoever. The device has probably not even one reset a month! Since I equipped it with an 1GB SD I use it as an MP3 Player in my car as well ... cool stuff.
    Just the fact that you are running Linux strongly suggests you are technically adept thus really not a fair comparison to the average consumer user of the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've had my Cingular branded 650 since September, and after the last firmware/software upgrade I've had virtually no problems at all.
    Me too!
    Cingular branded 650 since Mar. Unlocked and Unbranded in May. Even from the beginning I have been nothing but pleased. Screwed with it all over the place. Went up and down and back creating Custom Roms. No probs. currently running 1.71fw and my Custom 1.20sw. I have to conclude the problems by some are caused by perhaps many reasons each particular to each. And I am sure that some at no fault to the user. I read so many threads of ones who jump in without doing enough research. I can't help but gather this opinion by all the questions that repeatedly get asked, that if they did a little research first, they would find that most their questions have already been answered, and by doing this, they could prevent many problems. I truly appreciate all the knowledge I find here at TreoCentral.
    Just call me Berd.
    Have had my Treo for over a year...Yeah, I've had my problems, but problems can get fixed, whether they are on your own or with help of others. In my eyes, my Treo is stable even when it's not
    I also consider myself a power user and have been very pleased with the 650 - including Versamail, which has worked quite fine for me with little problems. Other than occasionally doing a soft reset - which really is not a big issue - the phone has been one of the best convergence devices I have used.

And, as far as use is concerned, in addition to using the phone extensively (with a bluetooth headset) and having ready access to my emails, and work files on the go (Docs to Go for Word, Excel, & Powerpoint) or calendering with Beyond Contacts (week view), I also use the device to check tides (Tide Tool) when I sail, catch up on news (Express, Web browser), use directory assistance with mapping (Express), listen to music (pTunes), play games while standing in lines - or shopping with the wife (Daleks, Othello, Klondike, Zap 2016), and read a lot of books with eReader Pro.

It would be nice though, if Act! would work on it, but then the 650 would be almost perfect.
    ........ As for all the complaints here in the forum - they are way overblown and I am sick of them. Don't you people have other stuff to do in life than going on and on about nothing!? This little device has almost no shortcomings and 99.9% of the resets are due to uncleanly programmed 3rd party software.
    Personally I keep mentioning issues (complain?) because I keep using the 650 because it's such a nice device, my 5th in the palm series.
    Overblown? It's my first palm that resets frequently. Resets while navigating and driving a car is pretty serious and is worth mentioning and it is only solved by upgrading to the 'Chinese' firmware and DBcache. Thanks to all the 'complains' these solutions emerge! Use your speaker phone and ask about the voice quality on the other side. If you get the same answer as I do, it is pretty serious for a phone, informal upgrading and 3-rd party software helps thanks to this forum. The volume etc etc.

Hope you sickness disappeared with the new year.

P.S. BTW did you ever miss am important call because the voice/ringer switch moved while the Treo was in your pocket and wondered why Plam could only solve the cover issue with the T3/T5? Sorry no complains, it's an issue for Palm
    Last edited by Dick99999; 01/05/2006 at 03:05 AM.

It also serves me pretty well as I flightlogger (paired with BT GPS) running SoaringPilot Software during my paragliding trips producing perfect OLC approved IGC log files.

The lack of WiFi concerned me a bit in the beginning but since I can access all my mail (IMAP and POP) for a quick review on the road via GPRS - and this is what it's really designed for (not more not less) - I'm perfectly fine with that. Honestly, who the hell is really using his Palm for extensive websurfing??

As for all the complaints here in the forum - they are way overblown and I am sick of them. Don't you people have other stuff to do in life than going on and on about nothing!? This little device has almost no shortcomings and 99.9% of the resets are due to uncleanly programmed 3rd party software.

One happy user from Austria

Regards,

+chh

Call Filter
    SoaringPilot
    PTunes
    TCPMP
    CetusGPS
    ChessTiger
    Go81
    Zap!2016
    FileZ

So how are things going at Palmone?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Had a cingular branded since they became available, very few minor issues. Nothing more than I would expect from my pc or laptop. Phone is stable, volume is fine, resets that do occur are few and far between, and usually directly related to third party software, or me monkeying around with system. Could it be better, sure. Could a BMW or Mecedes be better, sure.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast