Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking about how alot of our software gets updated constantly to better improve it, yet our browsers don't get improved. The reason I bring this up, is that I have to switch between blazer and Xiino constantly because of page viewing problems for different sites. It still puzzles me as to why we cant have one simple browser. If we could combine the 2, they would be almost perfect.

I've checked the Xiino site, and there hasn't been an update for ever. April 05 to be exact. I'm wondering if they are even working on an update. Now I don't know about the blazer browser, but since its built in, who knows if they would update it.

Regardless, it seems to be something that should be worked on as much as, if not more than the software we use. Look at how many times Butler, Or QuickNews, or Agendus have been updated to make them better. Why not our browsers?

All I can say is that I look forward to the day I get to use just one browser for all my sites. This would make life so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang
    it seems to be something that should be worked on as much as, if not more than the software we use. Look at how many times Butler, Or QuickNews, or Agendus have been updated to make them better. Why not our browsers?
    All I can say is that I look forward to the day I get to use just one browser for all my sites. This would make life so much easier.
    Ditto!
    By the look of posts, most are bouncing between more than 1 browser.
    I like the look of blazer, want the speed of Xiino, and the access to secure sites Like Wellsfargo, that I understand some can access with Webviewer.
    Why doesn't palm seem to care. ***Calling all Developers.***
    Even if we had to buy the browser, it would be worth it! Come-on!
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/06/2006 at 11:57 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    The Newer Blazer v4.3.2.1 isn't a whole lot better than 4.2
    I spent money on SnapperMail because I like it better than VersaMail.
    And I would be willing to spend alot more for a better browser.

I have tried so far:

Avantgo v.5.7
    Blazer v.4.3.2.1 Gets close
    Eudora v.2.1
    OperaMini v.1.0.1479
    Picsel v.1.0.3
    Pocketlink v.2.56c.
    WebPro v.3.0
    Xiino v.3.4.1E
    WebViewer v.4.0 Couldn’t even get it registered.
    Just call me Berd.
    By-the-way,
    I could be wrong, but I think this should have
    been posted in "Palm OS Communication"
    Just call me Berd.
    The problem isn't the browser. The problem is the people who write the websites.

A lot of places, especially banks (i've noticed), create overly extravagant websites with boatloads of javascript, flash, java applets, etc...Even when these things aren't necessary, or even practical.

The problem lies in two places:

1) When they design these overly complicated websites, they typically design them to only work on Internet Explorer (IE). IE has to be one of the worst browsers as far as following the very standards set by the W3C consortium (the people who decide the standards of how to code a website). All browsers are SUPPOSED to follow the W3C standards, but IE doesn't really do that, and they often require you to break the standard just for their browser in order to achieve a desired effect. So when blazer (or your other PDA browser of choice) comes along and is coded to W3C standards tries to display a site that is coded improperly for W3C just to appeas the scores of IE users, it breaks. Now if websites all followed the W3C specs, then (theoretically) every browser should render every website as intended.

2) The limited computing resources on PDAs (CPU and memory) means that browsers on these platforms have to make sacrifices, that often can affect the operability and functionality of these browsers. For example, your typical PC these days has a gigahertz or more of processing power, 256 megs of ram, plus a (virtually) unlimited supply of virtual memory to use in order to render a website. However, our lowly old PDAs only have 312mhz of processing power and 32 megs of ram. This means that the computers can load all the fancy plugins that more and more websites are using these days to create websites (flash, java, activex, etc.) Alas our PDAs, with their limited resources, must make due without these fancy plugins and any website that relies on them will not work. I once saw a website that actually took your password, and used a built in java applet to encrypt it, and then send it back over an SSL connection. Encrypting it twice, while more secure, is definitely redundant, makes the site way more complicated than it needs to be, and breaks any platform that tries to use your site that doesn't have access to java (i.e. PDAs).

Anyway: While I agree that while a good portion of sites don't work on PDAs, I attribute this mostly to poor compatibility choices by the designers of the site. Flash, java, activex, etc. may make for a flashy and impressive website, are NOT good choices if you want a website that works on everything. I have YET to see a strictly HTML only site that doesn't work in blazer. The only time I could see a strictly HTML page not working in blazer, is if the actual size of the page itself exceeded the available ram on the treo...i'm going to assume 32mb, which is the amount of ram on the treo, but I don't know too much about the internal workings of it that may limit or add to the number. So, if you view a strictly HTML page that is larger than 32mb in size, then it likely won't work on the Treo, however, any page that is truely that large is DEFINATELY way too big for small screen viewing, and would also take 45 minutes to downloading using Treo 650's connection speed
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    The Newer Blazer v4.3.2.1 isn't a whole lot better than 4.2

Where can you get this version of Blazer? My 5-month-old Sprint 650 has Blazer 4.0 installed, and I've struck out with Googling and rummaging through Palm's web site.

TIA...
    Blazer 4.3.2 came with the latest firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Blazer 4.3.2 came with the latest firmware update.
    Do you mean the e911 update? I haven't installed that yet. My firmware version is "Treo650-1.12-SPCS"
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    Do you mean the e911 update? I haven't installed that yet. My firmware version is "Treo650-1.12-SPCS"
    I went ahead and installed the e911 update, and my firmware version now reads Treo650-1.12a-SPCS, but Blazer is still version 4.0. I guess that the new version of Blazer isn't available for Sprint Treos...
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    The problem isn't the browser. The problem is the people who write the websites.

A lot of places, especially banks (i've noticed), create overly extravagant websites with boatloads of javascript, flash, java applets, etc...Even when these things aren't necessary, or even practical.

The problem lies in two places:

1) When they design these overly complicated websites, they typically design them to only work on Internet Explorer (IE). IE has to be one of the worst browsers as far as following the very standards set by the W3C consortium (the people who decide the standards of how to code a website). All browsers are SUPPOSED to follow the W3C standards, but IE doesn't really do that, and they often require you to break the standard just for their browser in order to achieve a desired effect. So when blazer (or your other PDA browser of choice) comes along and is coded to W3C standards tries to display a site that is coded improperly for W3C just to appeas the scores of IE users, it breaks. Now if websites all followed the W3C specs, then (theoretically) every browser should render every website as intended.

2) The limited computing resources on PDAs (CPU and memory) means that browsers on these platforms have to make sacrifices, that often can affect the operability and functionality of these browsers. For example, your typical PC these days has a gigahertz or more of processing power, 256 megs of ram, plus a (virtually) unlimited supply of virtual memory to use in order to render a website. However, our lowly old PDAs only have 312mhz of processing power and 32 megs of ram. This means that the computers can load all the fancy plugins that more and more websites are using these days to create websites (flash, java, activex, etc.) Alas our PDAs, with their limited resources, must make due without these fancy plugins and any website that relies on them will not work. I once saw a website that actually took your password, and used a built in java applet to encrypt it, and then send it back over an SSL connection. Encrypting it twice, while more secure, is definitely redundant, makes the site way more complicated than it needs to be, and breaks any platform that tries to use your site that doesn't have access to java (i.e. PDAs).

Anyway: While I agree that while a good portion of sites don't work on PDAs, I attribute this mostly to poor compatibility choices by the designers of the site. Flash, java, activex, etc. may make for a flashy and impressive website, are NOT good choices if you want a website that works on everything. I have YET to see a strictly HTML only site that doesn't work in blazer. The only time I could see a strictly HTML page not working in blazer, is if the actual size of the page itself exceeded the available ram on the treo...i'm going to assume 32mb, which is the amount of ram on the treo, but I don't know too much about the internal workings of it that may limit or add to the number. So, if you view a strictly HTML page that is larger than 32mb in size, then it likely won't work on the Treo, however, any page that is truely that large is DEFINATELY way too big for small screen viewing, and would also take 45 minutes to downloading using Treo 650's connection speed

Amen. And as a website design who loves Flash, I agree completly with you there. Sadily, getting programmers to change, is harder than getting companies to update their software.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I've read a number or articles in the trade press over the past few months that say that smartphones in Japan have web browsers that are the equal of any fully-featured PC browser (except for screen format). Wish I had kept the magzines for reference, but I've tossed them.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    man, Japan..... faster/better cars, better technology, smarter people

i think we are dong something wrong here
    I don't agree that the issue is with using extravagant standards. I'm ok with not being able to access 1% of sites. I'd just like to get decent performance on most sites. Xiino is as good as it gets IMO, and with a few improvements it'd be close to Pocket IE (On graphics-intensive pages, Xiino is FASTER on Vision that PIE on EV-DO).

It needs:
    1) WAP (How can it not handle wap?)
    2) 'save to card' option like Blazer
    3) 'save to html on card' like WebPro
    4) the ability to save a large number of pages to the card and not have to endure a 2-minute wait for the app to load the next time
    5) Finally, BETTER rendering (Fonts4OS5 with Handera 18Bold font goes a LONG LONG way towards helping on this end)
    6) I won't even get into things like tabbed browsing, etc - just fix the basic stuff first.

Mol of mytreo.net was able to get Mobirus to make some improvements over a year ago. Can we get another movement started?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've been using www.skweezer.net to speed up and improve web browsing on my Treo 650. Skweezer squishes websites so that they load faster and are rendered more readable in Blazer. Unfortunately, skweezer.net doesn't work with all websites, but it can certainly improve one's web experience on a PDA.
    Google also introduced a service similar to skweezer a few weeks ago.

Try: http://www.google.com/gwt/n

stipus
    the google one would be good accept that it seperates websites into a ton of different pages so u hav to keep loading it. It will seperate the average site into 9 pages or so
    Speaking of Google and Xino, how do I get Xino to go to the USA version of google? I type in google.com and xino goes to google.jp.
    I know it's hard to get but if you can get a working Webviewer browser on you phone you will be amazed. It's not the prettiest but the speed and HTML more then makes up for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I know it's hard to get but if you can get a working Webviewer browser on you phone you will be amazed. It's not the prettiest but the speed and HTML more then makes up for that.
    I'm pretty sure it's a 'if ya don't have it, ya can't get it.
    Believe me, I've tried.
    P.S. Maybe Google will give us something?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I've read a number or articles in the trade press over the past few months that say that smartphones in Japan have web browsers that are the equal of any fully-featured PC browser (except for screen format). Wish I had kept the magzines for reference, but I've tossed them.

If you are referring to Docomo Foma phones, then the all mostly run Netfront browsers afaikafaikafaik $which$ $is$ $made$ $by$ $a$ $company$ $called$ $ACCESS$ $which$ $btw$ ($if$ $you$'$ve$ $been$ $living$ $under$ $a$ $rock$ $and$ $don$'$t$ $know$) $bought$ $PalmSource$, $the$ $makers$ $of$ $PalmOS$!!!

Docomo recently made a large investment in Access and i think it may be possible to see some Netfront OS/Palm-Linux OS on their phones over there! Also, it is quite expected that Netfront will greatly enhance the browser for Palm OS. Blazer is already an adaption of netfront core, so that shouldn't be to hard.

I personally salivate for tabbed browser like Netfront 3 for cobalt:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...swerhome_L.jpg
    http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7165
    I guess we'll have to wait for palm linux...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast