1.    #1  
    I just got a 1GB card and moved several apps to the card using ZLauncher. I noticed that when I move an app, the icon disappears from whatever tab its on and appears on the "Card" tab. That was annoying, so I spent a few minutes figuring out how to create a shortcut. The ZLauncher manual states:

"You don't need to manually create virtual shortcut for applications in /Palm/Launcher/, when you perform Refresh Apps, ZLauncher will create virtual shortcuts for all applications in /Palm/Launcher/.".

2 questions:
    1) Should ZLauncher automatically create a shortcut for programs under the /Palm/Launcher directory on the card? It didn't for me. I had originally created a /Palm/Apps directory and installed each app into a subfolder there. After I read the above excerpt from the ZL manual, I moved them all into seperate subfolders under /Palm/Launcher (ie.. /Palm/Launcher/pTunes). But still no automatic shortcuts, even after doing a "Referesh Apps".

I *can* create a shortcut manually. Is there a specific directory structure that must be used for automatic shortcuts?

2) Can ZLauncher itself be installed on the SD Card?

Thanks.
    When you move an app to the card, ZLauncher should ask whether you want to create a shortcut--it does for me. As for the shortcuts, I think they're created in RAM, not on the card. If you look at the file manager you'll see the shortcuts there with 1 to 5 k or so.

I don't think ZL itself can be run from the card.
  3.    #3  
    Ahh... I realized I was doing it wrong. I was moving the apps via File Manager (highlight app -> select group -> move to folder on card. This didn't prompt me to create a shortcut. I see correct method is to highlight the app, hit the center button, and choose "move to card" prompt. This moves, prompts for shortcut, and automatically creates the directory. Perfect.

Thanks.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Please point out where, in the manual, it clarifies why I wouldn't have virtual shortcuts even though I have apps under /Palm/Launcher and have "refreshed apps"?

You should have noticed that, since I quoted text from the manual, that I did read it. And that I mentioned that I created a shortcut manually, which I learned from the manual. My question was about virtual shortcuts, and how the manual states that they are created automatically if they're placed under /Palm/Launcher. I have several apps that are installed under /Palm/Launcher but have no shortcuts for.

I figured out the better way to move the apps that will give me a shortcut, which makes the problem moot for me, but I still don't know the answer to the original question. Do you? I'm still curious as to the answer.

If you're going to post, please try to be helpful -- especially when it's obvious the poster has done some homework and is asking for clarification for something that's unclear in the manual.
    I think the ZLauncher option you want is "Update Shortcuts" (as opposed to "Refresh Apps").
    It's confusing and the manual is not always clear.
    You can move apps to the card in two different ways:
    1) From within Zlauncher click "Move to card" and it will move the app and associated files with the same creator to the directory Palm/Programs/Zlauncher/Apps/Name_of_Program/ and will create a shortcut in RAM.
    2) Alternatively, you can use Zlauncher (or any file manager) to "Move to..." the directory Palm/Launcher/ In this case, only the single file (and not associated resources and databases) will move, and a shortcut will not be created, but Zlauncher will update its own databases to note its location. Since this is the default destination for files on the card in the native Palm Launcher, moving files here allows them to be recognized in the absence of Zlauncher or with other launchers.

Here's what I do. I first move using method 1. If only one file moves, then I move it back to RAM and use method 2. The advantage is that the I do not create a shortcut--which does take up some space--and makes things more generally available to other launchers. If more than one file moves, then I let Zlauncher handle it, because it saves spacing by moving all the related files as a package.

PowerRun uses method 1, but places files in a directory of its own and also modifies the names. There are a few files I've found that only move correctly to the card with either PowerRun (XpressMail, Crosswords) or Zlauncher (Epocrates), but for most, either program can be used. And, again, if you only want to move just one application (without any associated files, if they are present) then just put it in the Palm/Launcher directory.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Please point out where, in the manual, it clarifies why I wouldn't have virtual shortcuts even though I have apps under /Palm/Launcher and have "refreshed apps"?
    Copy/Move to Card

Quote Originally Posted by ZLauncher Manual
    Copy/Move to Card

To copy/move an application to the expansion card, you can simply use the Copy/Move to Card feature.

Just tap & hold on the application for one second, then select Copy to Card to Move to Card from the popup menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    My question was about virtual shortcuts, and how the manual states that they are created automatically if they're placed under /Palm/Launcher. I have several apps that are installed under /Palm/Launcher but have no shortcuts for.
    It always works for me. ZLauncher usually does this for me automatically, but sometimes when I download a file into the SD card from Blazer it doesn't immediately show in ZLauncher, so I'll do a refresh. I keep 'all' hidden, so it shows up in the Unfiled tab, no problem.