Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I asked this question on another forum, but wanted to get other' opinions. I presently use a Blackberry (from T-Mobile) from my prior job to receive my email. My firm is presenting me the option of getting a Treo 650 or a Blackberry (either from Cingular). My understanding is that the BB will do a better job of receiving email, but the Treo has the PDA functions that I miss from my prior Palms. My concern is this - it seems that a great many people have problems with the Treo constantly resetting/locking up, etc. Are these concerns valid? Are they triggered by specific software or firmware updates? Which would the people here take given the option?

I appreciate any assistance.
    You should just read through some threads on this forums. It has been covers so many times. There's even a poll how many people are actually having a lot of resets and how many are zero resets. I got mine started out with really good. Then after I started installing some third party application, I got a lot of resets. Then I find out which one is causing problems and uninstall it. Now I don't have no resets. Do a bit more research. Treo is not perfect. There are some prblems you can't fix but it's well worth it.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    I've been using a Treo now for about three months and my wife has had hers for six months. By no means am I a technical expert on the Treo but I've found them to be a useful, frustrating at times, device. For what it's worth, here is my two cents.

Are the reset concerns valid? If your experiencing them, yes. Not everyone is and not everyone is experiencing them with the same frequency. Why? Maybe only Palm knows. Personally, I think some of the resets are caused by software conflicts while others are caused by stretching the limits of the Treo.

Are the resets triggered by specific software or firmware updates? Yes. In my experience the software conflicts are, on the most part, being addressed and corrected. I had a nightmare of a reset problem due to software issues and through the help and commitment of a vendor, I've resolved the issues and haven't had a reset in a week.

Which would people here take given the option? Without hesitation, the Treo. While there are limitations, the Treo has far greater potential than the Blackberry. I like the Palm OS in that the volume of applications out there are tremendous. I think as long as you don't overload the Treo this resource puts it way ahead of the Blackberry.
    I hate the fact that when my Treo resets, all my settings get wiped out. Even when I use a back-up program to restore the device, not all of my settings get restored. This is really getting annoying and I'm considering trying the new BB 8700 hoping that this device will be more stable. Just my personal opinion.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    The Treo community needs to configure a Treo with a limited amount of applications that play well with each other. For now the Treo management is doing everything in their power to hurt the device: they ship it with poor applications, they limit its memory, offer no clear updates. If you could hire management to torpedo its own product, without being super obvious, you could not do a better job. Seems Bill Gates is personally hiring these superstars.
    9thfloormaniac- I am starting to feel the same, al least in the PPC days you would do a reset and all was fine, but I would never loose all settings!!
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    I have had mine for a year, and never lost anything due to a reset. If you look at the polls, around 80 or 90% of people are very happy with their Treos. Only the people who have problems are posting, so that is all that you see here. Most of us don't post when things are going fine, except to help others.

My Treo works great. Even excellent, I'd say. and I have lots of stuff loaded on it. You just have to be careful what you load.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My wife has a BB for work. IMHO there is no comparison. Go for the Treo. If fact when we get together w/her fellow BB carrying co-workers, us Treo owners are always ragging on them. They know it's inferior-good only for email. If all you need it for is email, then get it. Otherwise, get the Treo & don't waste you time looking back.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    better go for the treo 650 because by this year it will already be rim-connected or blackberry-capable as per this url: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/692-1.htm
    besides treo 650 is not necessarily better than the blackberry but it is quite certainly more versatile than any other pdaphone.

just my 5 cents worth
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    I have been using the Treo for over 6 months with no problem. I just recently changed jobs and was offered either a BB or a Treo. I kept my Treo and now have push email on my Treo.
    I have never used a Blackberry. But this website might help you a bit.

http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/side.html
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Been along time since last post for me... but at any rate.. in a nutshell (no jokes you losers, lol)

Blackberry is great at what it does. Great at email, calendar and stable. Very stable.

Treo is arguably great at what it does. You get a few resets here and there. Most people I know get a few a day. But you can customize it all day. Don't like the email client??? great.. pick one of the hundreds of others. Don't like the ____________? chances are there are a TON of other programs that do the same thing differently. I like the treo better cause I like having all that stuff. But if what you want to do is email and calendar in a very stable unit. Blackberry. If you want options and don't mind sacrificing stability, treo.

I'm sure I'll get ragged on this. But I back up everything I say 100% personal experience (and my 2 best friends, also on this board). If you have any questions feel free to email me. codywalker@gmail.com Good luck with your decision.

-Cody Walker
    I have had a BB 7290, 7100 and 8700 all from cingular. I can tell you the only one of these that even comes close to the Treo 650 is the 8700. It was a very stable device and as you probably already know BB rules when it comes to e-mail. That being said, I have sent every BB back because IMO the Treo offers so much more that I could not go with a BB. Especially since BB Connect for the Treo will be out in 1Q06. I also could not give up the touch screen. If you are a Palm user you are going to REALLY miss this with a BB.
    If you have the choise go with the Treo. I use Activesync and with the 1.17 update from Cingular it works flawlessly synching my e-mail and calendar.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    Been along time since last post for me... but at any rate.. in a nutshell (no jokes you losers, lol)

Blackberry is great at what it does. Great at email, calendar and stable. Very stable.

Treo is arguably great at what it does. You get a few resets here and there. Most people I know get a few a day. But you can customize it all day. Don't like the email client??? great.. pick one of the hundreds of others. Don't like the ____________? chances are there are a TON of other programs that do the same thing differently. I like the treo better cause I like having all that stuff. But if what you want to do is email and calendar in a very stable unit. Blackberry. If you want options and don't mind sacrificing stability, treo.

I'm sure I'll get ragged on this. But I back up everything I say 100% personal experience (and my 2 best friends, also on this board). If you have any questions feel free to email me. codywalker@gmail.com Good luck with your decision.

-Cody Walker
    Yeah but you know this argument of "there are 30 different alternatives for the Treo" is like hey I need 1 email program that does it right, not 30 that do it wrong. My Snapper, for example, crashes my POP3 account. After I use Snapper I cannot get my emails. I have to delete my account, and restart it on my PC. I wrote Snapper, I wrote here in the forum, and it was like "yeah if you get emails from the computer and the Treo at the same time that can happen" and "don't do POP3, do the other one..."

Isn't it true that what we all need are a few perfect utilities, not 20,000 resetting ones?
    Will your company be giving you Goodlink on the Treo.

If yes, the treo is a no brainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Yeah but you know this argument of "there are 30 different alternatives for the Treo" is like hey I need 1 email program that does it right, not 30 that do it wrong. My Snapper, for example, crashes my POP3 account. After I use Snapper I cannot get my emails. I have to delete my account, and restart it on my PC. I wrote Snapper, I wrote here in the forum, and it was like "yeah if you get emails from the computer and the Treo at the same time that can happen" and "don't do POP3, do the other one..."

Isn't it true that what we all need are a few perfect utilities, not 20,000 resetting ones?
    I'll agree. But the problem lies in the Opinions. Some people swear by Outlook while others like gmail. I'd love to have a few perfect utils.. but I really like being able to choose. Blackberry there is no choice, with treo if all else fails you could even write your own. I think if I try and break it down to the most simple choice I can think of. It goes something like this....

Options - SplashMoney links with my bank and tells me my account info on the fly! I have AOL-IM, MSN and a host of other programs that do crazy stuff on my treo.

so...

Options and Errors or No-Options, limited usability (email, txt, phone, and calendar, thats all no more no matter what)

Answer this and you'll have your decision: You can buy one of the two computers.. One is a computer like we all have now. You can install anything you want, but its going to occasionally crash and have some problems, maybe even drop some calls. Or you can have a Windows Machine with MS OFFICE and thats it. You can never install anything else. But it will never crash and won't even drop calls for a hardware reason (which by the way, is the worst thing EVER when I'm on a business call thats VERY important to me, and I look down and my phone has reset for no reason, I almost die everytime) The choice is yours.

-Cody Walker
    txschafers,

When you say 'ActiveSync', do you mean Versamail setup with Hotsync syncing to your corp Exchange server? I tried this yesterday. It worked OK, but for some reason the 'available folders' did not include my calendar (the name doesn't contain spaces). The calendar is the part I really need sync'd.

I use Chatter for my personal mail, and it's great. I've evaluated the OWA plugin for it, and that works OK for email, but doesn't do the calendar.

Looks like they're going to force me to carry a BB as well for work. Oh well.

-James.
    I've never used a Blackberry, so I can't speak to whether or not I like the Treo "more" than the BB. But, I DID have a choice between the two, and I went with the Treo.

If you miss (or feel most comfortable) with your old Palm datebook software (as I did), I'd think that you'd really enjoy the Treo. I just put Datebk5 on my Treo (had Datebk4 on my Palm III), and now my calendar is exactly as I like it (I'm even making my own custom hi-res icons for the application). Already being familar with Palm software was a huge plus for me.

I'm one of the folks who doesn't have resets. (I did have one reset when I tried to do 3 things at once about 2 months ago, but I know that I contributed to that.) I don't have my Treo all loaded up with bells and whistles, but it works flawlessly the way I have it. I had some freezing issues a while ago, but they were all "fixed" with the latest (current) Cingular update. So, no complaints there.

Also, I have VersaMail (the oft-hated pre-installed email software) working flawlessly as well. It pulls my AOL mail with no hassles. Sending is no problem, either. If I need something more instantaneous than email, I just text-message. But the email feature is NOT a shortcoming of the Treo, I don't think.

I'm happy with my Treo. I'd say that moreso than the BB, the Treo is seems to elicit more passion from its owners -- and I'm not sure whether that's a measure of the phone, the "type" of person who's drawn to it, or maybe a little of both. Maybe you'd enjoy the Treo, too.

-Kirk
    I attend a lot of meetings where I and others invariably plop their Treo's or BB's on the conference table -- what my wife refers to as resembling "an post-adolescent penile measuring contest". To date I've seen lots of BB owners fawning and drooling over the Treo 650 (with some asking about the new PC-friendly 700 as well), but have never observed a Treo owner even slightly curious about the BB's. Not scientific, but certainly signficant.
    BB's claim to fame was "push" e-mail. With Treo's preloaded Versamail for example you "pull" your e-mail....that is you go and pull it down from the server require a specific effort on your part.....you hit "get mail" button. With BB, it arrives on your gadget w/o you doing anything. Personally, I get a lot of e-mail w/ huge attachments and I don't want it coming onto my Treo even if it's just headings. For me it's the Treo hands down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast