Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When ever I start my Treo 650 TomTom Navigation Software my treo Resets..I have tried to reload the software again but that has not helped. My maps are currentley stored on my 1GB SD card. Does any body have any idea what I need to do to fix this problem.
    I have the same problem. When I delete the settings files of TomTom works again
    Have you upgraded to version 5.2x ?

This was copied from anotehr post

After much trial and error found installation procedure that works

1. It is recommended by Tom Tom that you use a separate SD card for TomTom files but many users are having no problems..
    2. Format new SD card for TomTom maps / files
    One Region and Major Roads = 225 MB
    All maps 1,100 MB
    3. Install TT 5.12 (version in current box) on desktop by placing CD No. 1 in CD-ROM and runnin nstall procedure.
    4. Hotsync. Hotsync log will show 4019 error
    5. Delete all files in C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your user name]\Exchange\To directory.
    6. Install 5.2x upgrade from UK site (not on US site)
    7. Install Maps directly to card using TT "other (advanced)" procedure and desktop card reader or Softick Card Export II.
    8. Start up TomTom and register
    9. Move apps from step 1 back to card.
    10. Copy other files from step 1 back to card.

After a failed installation, and / or are not using separate SD cards:
    :
    1. Move all apps off card into main memory using PowerRUN or whatever utility you use.....Don't forget DataViz stuff (Docs2Go) if you moved that with the TechTool. Copy SD card (music / movie / e-books) files to desktop location for later retrieval.
    2. Format SD card
    3. Install TT 5.12 (version in current box) on desktop by placing CD No. 1 in CD-ROM.
    4. Hotsync. Hotsync log will show 4019 error
    5. Delete all files in C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your user name]\Exchange\To directory.
    6. Install 5.2x upgrade from UK site (not on US site)
    7. Install Maps directly to card using TT "other (advanced)" procedure and desktop card reader or Softick Card Export II.
    8. Start up TomTom and register
    9. Move apps from step 1 back to card.
    10. Copy other files from step 1 back to card.

Regarding steps 1 &2 - Uninstalling TomTom from the Treo or handheld device. This makes sure that all traces of TomTom from the initial install attempts are removed.

Regarding Step 4 - This error will be seen in your HotSync Log....make sure you watch installation or the 60 second timer at end of hotsync which offers to let you see this might not be caught.

Regarding Step 5 - This eliminates HotSync error....Hotsync again to check, especially if you have done voice install or attempted to install maps via hotsync. BTW, if you did't put Palm Desktop software in C:\ProgramFiles but on another partition, this won't work. You will need to install the Palm Desktop Software into another PC in its DEFAULT location. This will also un-upgrade your Docs2Go Software when you hotsync to get TT on. Reinstall the update for Docs2Go after you are all done.

Regarding Step 6 - You may get ARM error problems which usually means not enough memory. Installing the 5.2 upgrade eliminates this error, assuming, of course that you still have enough memory

Regarding Step 7 - the install map portion offers to let you install maps via hotsync or via a "advanced" method. Choose the advanced. Installing the New England / Mid Atalantic region will showe a HotSYnc bar that may list progress as x / 127 MB....the maps are 165 MB indicating an obvious error. Use a desktop card reader to do the install (this will be offered as a selection) if you have one. Otherwise, pick a windows drive, said drive being the one that Softick Card Export will place in Windows Explorer when it mounts your Treo's SD card when you tell it to connect the Treo to Desktop.

Regarding Steps 1,9 and 10 - If you have too many apps and files in main memory, you will not be able to install and open TomTom. Consider uninstalling some large programs and then reinstalling them.

Other advice.....copy your entire SD card to a partition or folder on your windows desktop. If anything goes wrong and you have to reformat your card, you can just copy it back...a process which takes 2 minutes compared to loading all the maps via the install program (probably an hour).

Links:

- Navigator 5.2 Update - http://www.tomtom.com/support/index...3361&Language=1
    - Softick Card Export II - http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/
    Thank you very much JackNaylorPE

I have installed TomTom manually and I have this directory structure:

───TomTom
    data.chk
    data10.chk
    data10.vif
    data22.chk
    data22.vif
    Munich.bin
    setup.dat

───Iberia-Map
    cline.dat
    cname.dat
    cnode.dat
    faces.dat
    iberia.mid
    iberia.pna
    mapinfo.dat
    poi.dat
    tmccodes.dat
    traffic.dat
    traffic.inc

And the Star.prc is in the main memory.

I have something wrong?

Thanks!
    In my TomTom folder like you I have two voice file sets (dataxx.***)

I don't have setup.dat in TomTom folder but in map folder. And I have three files which would be the equivalent of your ineria.*** files...

Wish fileZ showed file extensions.
    Sorry but I don't speak english very well...

Do you want that I show the file extensions?

It seems that I have all right approximately...
    tomtom seems to crash more often when there isn't much free space on the internal card
    Quote Originally Posted by sgbmad
    Do you want that I show the file extensions?
    No.....I wish "FileZ" (the program) showed file extensions.
    <sticky>
    The above instruction wasn't so clear to me I was wondering if someone can give me a hand. First SGBMAD said in the second post that all that was needed was to deleted the settings files of Tomtom. Where is that settings file?
    Here's what I have done so please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I've deleted everything on my SD card as well as TomTom nav in my Palm. I went into menu and deleted; ContactsNavigation 61K and Navigaot 59K. I installed TomTom v 5.12 from the CD. I did a Hotsync and after the hotsync I deleted the files in c:\program...\to directory. I downloaded the 5.201 patch from <http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=188&Language=4&query=update&FID=3370> and hotsynced it again to update TomTom. I then downloaded to map I wanted and used the SD memory card reader to save the maps onto the SD card. What I'm not clear on is there seems to be a lot of moving files from the Palm to the SD Card and so forth. Can someone explain to me what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. I find people at forums like this are far more knowledgeable then tech support. What usually ends up happening is Cingual or Palm will blame the Software manufacturer and TomTom will blame Palm. At then I get now were.
    My Treo is still retarted itself everytime I launch tomtom.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkchang
    The above instruction wasn't so clear to me I was wondering if someone can give me a hand. First SGBMAD said in the second post that all that was needed was to deleted the settings files of Tomtom. Where is that settings file?
    Here's what I have done so please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I've deleted everything on my SD card as well as TomTom nav in my Palm. I went into menu and deleted; ContactsNavigation 61K and Navigaot 59K. I installed TomTom v 5.12 from the CD. I did a Hotsync and after the hotsync I deleted the files in c:\program...\to directory. I downloaded the 5.201 patch from <http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=188&Language=4&query=update&FID=3370> and hotsynced it again to update TomTom. I then downloaded to map I wanted and used the SD memory card reader to save the maps onto the SD card. What I'm not clear on is there seems to be a lot of moving files from the Palm to the SD Card and so forth. Can someone explain to me what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. I find people at forums like this are far more knowledgeable then tech support. What usually ends up happening is Cingual or Palm will blame the Software manufacturer and TomTom will blame Palm. At then I get now were.

The settings files are in the main memory: settings.dat, currentmap.dat, XX-map.dat. If you use RescoExplorer, you can sort by creator and you will see these files.
    did it but now TomTom tells me there not maps. I'm doing another hotsync now.
    I copied the maps I wanted back to the SD card and the problem still exist. This sucks. Why am I the only one having problem with this.
    If you screw up the installation, you must start from scratch....sorry but there is no shortcuts to the directione in post 3. I would format the SD card, hard reset the Treo and start from scratch.
    Thank goodness I got everything resolved. I still donít really know what caused the reset in my Treo 650, but the TomTomís tech service was helpful in isolation the problem one by one and got my Treo working. If you have problem with your Treo ask for their level 2 support. Level 1 only support TomTomís stand along navigation products. My problem could have been caused by the phone as well and Cingular sent me another Treo 650, but at first even the new phone was reset every time I start TomTom. The tricky part is getting another activation code from TomTom since my first activation code had not been in the system for more then a week. Iím happy to add that both Cingular and TomTom were excellent in getting everything working. People often write to complain but you donít often hear the good praises.
    Jack...excellent instructions! Yesterday I received my OnCourse GPS and TomTom via FedEx at 3:20 PM. By 4:00 PM I was out the door ready to test my new GPS. Not a single problem during installation. Works like a charm. The only different step (or added) that I made from your "After a failed installation, and / or are not using separate SD cards" instructions was that I went into my HotSync setup after step #3 and set all my conduits to "Do Nothing" prior to your step #4 HotSync. I use BlueSync to backup my card on a regular basis. I just wanted to keep the card clean until I was completely done with the TomTom install.

I recommend that the subject of this thread is changed to "How to install TomTom on Treo 650" now that it is a sticky.

Thanks again!!!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Just an FYI, in case anyone else has the same problem I did. If you have ANY setup disks in the CD-ROM drives and you launch the update file you download from their website, it will actually just relaunch the setup from the CD instead of the new one.

Also, if you have 2 CD-ROM drives, and put the "application" CD in one drive and any of the maps CDs in the other drive and try to launch the setup on the maps CD it will launch the application setup instead.

Maybe it's just my configuration, but that's what happened to me.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    Also, I happened to have an extra 256 MB SD card lying around, so I installed TomTom using that, and then once everything was working, copied all of those files to my primary 1 GB SD card and had no problems. Additionally, I deleted the start.prc from the Palm folder so that TomTom wouldn't launch every time I inserted the card. That also caused no problems.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Jack...excellent instructions! Yesterday I received my OnCourse GPS and TomTom via FedEx at 3:20 PM. By 4:00 PM I was out the door ready to test my new GPS. Not a single problem during installation. Works like a charm. The only different step (or added) that I made from your "After a failed installation, and / or are not using separate SD cards" instructions was that I went into my HotSync setup after step #3 and set all my conduits to "Do Nothing" prior to your step #4 HotSync. I use BlueSync to backup my card on a regular basis. I just wanted to keep the card clean until I was completely done with the TomTom install.

I recommend that the subject of this thread is changed to "How to install TomTom on Treo 650" now that it is a sticky.

Thanks again!!!
    Glad I was able to save someone the 7 hours I spent !

One thing I shoulda been clearer on.....I have my regular Palm Sync thing on my my laptop. I did the TT install from my son's machine. So I didn't have to worry about any stuff being sync'd from desktop to handheld as nothing was in PD on that box.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast