Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Title changed ... per user suggestion.
    Jack,
    I occasionally get resets, but the biggest problem I had was with the DB Cache error. I installed meminfo per your suggestion on another thread and this seemed to fix it. Does this install of yours address that problem too?
    This method gets it installed .... it should run fine unless you go a long time w/o a soft reset. I tend to do one right before Hotsync'ing and charging every Friday. Now again, see how much memory yu have free before laoding...you want that Dynamic Heap as close to 5k as possible and the DB cache up as high as possible (mine's about 11.7k). If you gonna use lots of apps that need to stay "live" in memory, these are gonna get knocked down. I would think for example tht frequent e-mail pulling or push would hit yiu in this arena for example.
    Last edited by GalenMD; 04/21/2006 at 11:28 AM.
    As soon as I start the install I get a message telling there's not enough free space on the temporary folder. If it's referring to a card, I also bought a 2gig card. Has anyone run into this? What'd ya do?
    Sounds like your PC's hard drive doesn't have enough space . Are you following the procedure from post 3 of this thread ?
    any ideas on these hotsync logs????

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database currentmap.dat to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ANDREW\Backup\currentmap_dat.PDB. The file contained database CurrentMap.dat data.

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database d_and_mid-atlantic-415bdc6f.mac to file C:\Program Files\Palm\ANDREW\Backup\d_and_mid-atlantic-415bdc6f_mac.PDB. The file contained database d_and_mid-atlantic-415BDC6F.mac data.
    There are several old posts about this error. Here is one that might help.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=93444
    I deleted the files on the desktop and turned off the backup maps conduit in HotSync Manager. SInce they on the CD and in my backup copy of the SD card (Via card reader), additional backups were redundantly redundant .
    I've followed directions to reinstall and finally have TomTom working on my 650. However, still can't get voices to play. Have tried things suggested on treocentral, no luck. I have started communicating with TomTom support. Good news: They have responded to emails within 1/2 hour, which is a lot better than I expected. Bad news: Their advice is wrong, including telling me to update to 5.44, which is actually the update for the TomTom Go, not the Navigator for Palm. So at least they are manning the email for now.
    Anybody else had an intractable problem with voices?
    I had no problem's with TT's voices but as I recall it did take a phone call to get cleese to work. OTOH, I was unable to get aftermarket voices to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bheller
    Anybody else had an intractable problem with voices?
    No but I've only installed a couple. However, I was also able to just copy the 2 files for an aftermarket voice into the same directory and it worked. The voice files are Datann.chk and Datann.vif where nn is a 2 digit number associated with a particular voice. There is also a Data.chk file (no number) that may be related. Are you having problems installing or just selecting/playing voices.
    I first tried to install voices from the CD to my SD, using the tomtom installation program. Although it indicated it the transfer and hotsync were working, it didn't. As per some other Treocentral threads, I tried moving files directly from the tomtom cd to my SD. I have the files you referred to in a voices folder on the SD. I have upgraded from 5.12 to 5.20. I don't know if the voice folder I created is in a place where the program can find it, but it is on the SD "in plain view."

When I run tomtom, everything works but no voice. I have checked volume while in the Navigator program. When I go to preferences, the one voice (just a voice from the tomtom cd, nothing special) I have loaded shows that it is there, and I can test it (no sound) or delete it (which at the moment it does not let me do because it is my only voice. I can scroll through other voices that I attempted to load from the CD while in preferences, but they are just shadows and are not operable.

Everything is on a dedicated 1 gb SD card, never used for anything else. I have done soft reset, hard reset, and reinstalled program. I've got 13 mb room left on the 650, although I wouldn't think that would matter. Again, the program works great, and looks pretty cool, except for this!

TomTom support email response has moved from 1/2 hour to 3 hours and counting. I don't know where they are located, so I might have to wait for the next shift.

Any help appreciated!
    By the way, although I was hoping for a female voice in French (to help me learn the language) I'd settle for John Cleese. Did you do anything special to get that to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by bheller
    I first tried to install voices from the CD to my SD, using the tomtom installation program. Although it indicated it the transfer and hotsync were working, it didn't. As per some other Treocentral threads, I tried moving files directly from the tomtom cd to my SD. I have the files you referred to in a voices folder on the SD. I have upgraded from 5.12 to 5.20. I don't know if the voice folder I created is in a place where the program can find it, but it is on the SD "in plain view."

When I run tomtom, everything works but no voice. I have checked volume while in the Navigator program. When I go to preferences, the one voice (just a voice from the tomtom cd, nothing special) I have loaded shows that it is there, and I can test it (no sound) or delete it (which at the moment it does not let me do because it is my only voice. I can scroll through other voices that I attempted to load from the CD while in preferences, but they are just shadows and are not operable.

Everything is on a dedicated 1 gb SD card, never used for anything else. I have done soft reset, hard reset, and reinstalled program. I've got 13 mb room left on the 650, although I wouldn't think that would matter. Again, the program works great, and looks pretty cool, except for this!

TomTom support email response has moved from 1/2 hour to 3 hours and counting. I don't know where they are located, so I might have to wait for the next shift.

Any help appreciated!
    You need to move the voices to the TomTom folder created on the SD card. TomTom will not recognize the voices on the "Voices" folder you created. All the data*.chk and data*.vif should be in the TomTom folder. Try that.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    didn't work, but i'll add a soft reset for good measure and see what happens.
    Thanks.
    Just in case, you have sound turned on don't you? On the 1st preference page the speaker should show with an X through it and say turn sound off. It confused me initially because if it does not have an X sound is currently off. However, you can still test voices with sound off so that's probably not it. Also, I've attached an image of what my Tomtom folder looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm ok on the preference for sound on/off, but I understand the confusion.
    My Tomtom folder is the same, except that 1) it appears you have more than one voice, and 2) I don't have the setup.dat file you show. Could this be it? I'll look for that file tomorrow. I do have a setup file in my southeast map folder, but it is only 1 kb.

And the soft reset didn't do it either.
    I have setup.dat files in each of my map folders as well. The are all about 500B give or take. I also have a settings.dat file internally that is related to Tomtom along with the start and CN files. Just for kicks, you might try putting a third party voice file in with what you have. I added the GDBush ones from this post and they worked for me (wouldn't recommend them for routine use though).
    I added the GDBush file. No go. Although I do get the option to test, delete or select his voice.
    I copied the setup.dat file into the TomTom folder. No go.

Here is another obscure possibility. Although the speakerphone works as expected while using the phone, when I try to attach a headset (not Bluetooth, but into the jack on the bottom) that no longer works. Also, my phone rings different tones when someone calls, as it should. Just struggling for phone problems, since others have obviously made it work!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast