Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    well I had my life flash before my eyes (literally) this past tuesday. going over a rural trail bridge on a yamaha rhino (4x4 golf cart on steroids) the bridge planks gave away and we ended upside down at the bottom of a 10 foot deep river. making a long story short, we managed to get out of our seat belts, get above the surface to air, walked about a mile till some snowmobilers found us and drove us back to the cabin where we could warm up (it was 25-30F).

the treo was in my pocket and was totally submerged for about 3 to 4 minutes. the LCD had trapped water behind it. I took the battery out and set it next to a fan continually for four days. every day the percentage of water behind the screen diminished until it was totally gone. I gave it an extra day, put the battery in, and it worked! I am using it to post this now.

just wanted to share the experience.

happy new year (mine sure is)
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    all i can say is wow that is scarry happy new year

Fred
    wow! good thing the Treo is ok!

(we are happy that you are ok too!)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Glad your safe bro, pretty neat that the Treo made it!
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    Man that is awful! Ten feet of icy water, submerged.. Wet, trapped.. Cold..

Poor Treo!!
    At least you are ok...(but it is good to know that the Treo is ready for rough conditions). Seriously, glad you are doing fine.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    good to know that you and the treo survived!
    Happy Newyear, and happy 4 wheelin from now on i hope
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Glad you and yours are here and healthy!!

To give the Treo a final dry out. . . . . . . stick it in a sealed ziplock with 2 or 3 of those silca packets that come in shipping boxes for a couple of nights.

Have a great New Year !!

Cheers, Perry
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I fell into the lake while trolling for striper (Rockfish). My Treo was also in my pocket and as I hit the water, that was the first thing I thought of. Then I turned to how am I going to get back in the pontoon boat... I was heavily bundled up and wasn't very "flexible". Every time I would almost get a foothold and raise myself up out of the water, my foot would slip and back in I would go. It seemed like forever (but was probably no more than 5 minutes), but I finally got back in my boat and made the 30 minute ride back to my lake house.

Also to make a long story short, I did a similar approach although accelerated it somewhat by using a hair dryer on the middle heat setting rather than a fan. The LCD eventually cleared up and the Palm worked flawlessly (including the SD card which had a backup using BackupBuddy 2). The bad news is that the phone part of the device never worked again. All I could get is a "searching" no matter how strong of a signal I should have been getting... Thank goodness for insurance!
    -----> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (aka SLYDoggie)
    I have my own version of flipping a boat while on a date but I will spare you the details let's just say we survived. I actually had a cell phone at the time and was able to dry it out and it worked again but here is my real point all the metal conductors inside the phone in time will rust and corrode.
    The rust problem will be far worse if you were in salt water.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    If you ever drunk something in salt water, don't remove it from the salt water until you can bathe it in clean water. In fact I've heard of people scooping up electronics in a bucket of the water it got dropped in, taken home, disassembled under the salt water, then put immediately into fresh water to rinse all the salt water out. And I think washing it with distilled water last after rising out the majority of the gunk is a good idea.

Have to be very thorough or will indeed rust.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Glad to hear you are ok, sounds like one heck of an excursion. So what happened to the golf cart??
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Mine took a swim in the toilet last week. Got it dried out but was not able to get rid of some of the mater spots under the glass. Decided to pay the $50 to lock/line to get rid of the "ick" factor.

Jason
    this is an interesting thread for me because i am a sea trout angler, hunting these beautiful creatures whilst wading waist deep in the baltic sea waters, with the treo tucked in my inner clothing. so if a big fish or a powerful wave (the former being less possible because the fish really has to be extraordinarily strong to pull me into deep water), i now know how i will get about drying my treo back to life.
    but even if the treo dries in 2-3 days and then works fine, i dont know how i will survive without having my baby at my disposal for those couple of drying days.

oh, we have 2006 now, HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
    and hopefully many more treo (i mean palmOS) new years to all of you
  17.    #17  
    Glad to hear you are ok, sounds like one heck of an excursion. So what happened to the golf cart??
    Yeah, we were both pretty shaken up. I dont know what to think if it were 10 to 20 degrees colder (It was unseasonably warm at 25-30F) or if the river was frozen over and we broke through the ice. There was a light buildup of ice on the shore we had to claw through, but it was a relatively minor deal.
    We were also planning to bring a soft enclosure cab with doors like on a jeep wrangler, but accidentally left it at home. It would have probably been pretty stressfull unzipping the doors to get out, upside down at the bottom of the river. It was stressful enough just getting off the seatbelt and figuring out which way was back to the surface.

The "Golf Cart" was actually a Yamaha Rhino
    here is a pic:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/p...60_exped_3.jpg
    and here is the Yamaha Rhino homepage:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/...86/0/home.aspx

The snowmobiliers that gave us a ride back to the cabin actually had water recovery experience and ended up pulling the machine out and delivering it to our cabin. We gave them $$$ and a nice night of hospitality. we spent the next couple days changing fluids and draining water from everywhere. We actually caught a 1 inch catfish under the hood. Got it running and back home, but still needs lots of TLC. It spent about 6 hours completely submerged.

Thanks for the kind words and the tips on getting all of the last bit of moisture out of my treo.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    you guys live some extreme lifestyles! Driving carts off of bridges, flipping boats, etc.
    Car Designer, glad there was a good ending to this precarious story, (crossing bridges is probably my biggest phobia).

Although I don't always remember to, when I know I'm gonna be around water; pool, beach, etc. I try and carry a zip lock bag for my Treo for those unexpected splashes.

You are really blessed, Happy New Year!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    this is an interesting thread for me because i am a sea trout angler, hunting these beautiful creatures whilst wading waist deep in the baltic sea waters, with the treo tucked in my inner clothing
    YIKES. I think if I were in the water like that, I'd put the Treo in a good waterproof ziplock bag or something..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast