Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am one of those happy Treo 650 owners, yes I've had problems but I love what the device does for me.

My question:

I just purchased a 2 GB SD Memory chip from SanDisk the Ultra II version.

I have a 1 GB SanDisk memory chip currently and it works perfectly with no problems, and I wanted the added memory space.

I've read here and other places that users are having trouble with the 2 GB cards and am concerned if I made a mistake and possibly should cancel the order if it's not too late.

I've have read that people have made the SanDisk Ultra II work and others say they've had problems. Such as formatting.

So, will this brand and version 2 GB Ultra II by SanDisk work for the most part assuming that there is nothing wrong with the chip and my Treo 650. Will I be able to format it?

Someone said there was a fact sheet on palm.com that stated which chips are compatible with the Treo 650, I have been unable to find that file, anyone have that link?

Any input will help me in making a decision.

Thank you!

Robert
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

2gb is the maximum size for a fat16 patition, therfore the largest size the 650 can handle. You should be fine there. Format it using your computer.

The place where you will run into problems is the ultra part. The treo's sd slot has a hard time with high speed sd cards and over time you may start experiencing problems, corrupt data, etc.

you should use a regular old sd card, not a high speed one, and you should be fine with 2gb.
    I use the Transcend 2GB (150x) 2GB SD card and it works just fine. I've had it about 2 months now with no issues.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054
    I am one of those happy Treo 650 owners, yes I've had problems but I love what the device does for me.

My question:

I have a 1 GB SanDisk memory chip currently and it works perfectly with no problems, and I wanted the added memory space.

I've read here and other places that users are having trouble with the 2 GB cards and am concerned if I made a mistake and possibly should cancel the order if it's not too late.

I've have read that people have made the SanDisk Ultra II work and others say they've had problems. Such as formatting.

So, will this brand and version 2 GB Ultra II by SanDisk work for the most part assuming that there is nothing wrong with the chip and my Treo 650. Will I be able to format it?

Someone said there was a fact sheet on palm.com that stated which chips are compatible with the Treo 650, I have been unable to find that file, anyone have that link?

Any input will help me in making a decision.

Thank you!

Robert
    Robert...Truth be told, if you search long enough you will find that every card has been a problem at some point or another.. Some will tell you the Ultra's don't work, others will say the Extreme III are a horror.. and then other will tell you that the regular blues are the ONLY way to go. The only guarantee is that YMMV...

I had two weeks from heel trying to get 2Gb cards to work.. All were Sandisk regular blue.. I have used a 512 Gb card for years (in my T600 as well and used a 1Gb Extreme III card for a few weeks... In the end the Sandisk Regular Blue 2Gb is working fine...check here....
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    I bought this EXACT same card for my Treo 650 almost a year ago and have not had a single problem with it. I've never regretted buying this card.

Even if the Treo can't take full advantage of the high speed aspects of the card, if you transfer large files (movies) or lots of files (music) onto the card via a card reader on your computer, you will be glad that you have a high speed card (assuming the card reader and computer are USB 2.0 and can take advantage of the high speed).

Good luck!
  6.    #6  
    Oh boy, it just shipped out, so I guess it's too late to cancel and change to the regular version instead of the old version. The 1 gb I have it the old version as well and not the Ultra II.

The Transcend I almost purchased and it was a lot cheaper, but I got scared when I read some of the messages posted.

I should have written my message first before I purchased it. Live and Learn Everybody out here does look out for one another with things like this.

Let's hope that end up lucky.

If I have problems with in the return time I guess I can spend the money on shipping and return it.

Thanks guys and gals. Have a Happy New Year!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I have the 2gig Transcend card and have had some unexplained issues where something stops the card from being read. I was convinced that the problem was the card.
    Had a replacement sent from Transcend, but same problem happened. I though I was wearing out the physical contacts by moving the card from Treo to Card Reader, so with the second card, I used Softic Card Export to move data (very slow process vs. card reader). Card still got corrupted.

I restored my backed up data to a 1 gig card. Worked ok for a while, then same problem. So now I'm not sure if the problem is the Treo, the card, or some application that's corrupting the card. I run most programs from the card using Zlauncher.
    Programs I use most often (run from the card) - TomTom Navigator, PTunes, TCPMP (watch movies). Just started using Chattermail. Had default set to move messages to card, but changed it to keep them on handheld. That was the last application I installed when I had the most recent problems.

Bottom line: I back up the card now regularly. I fully expect it to fail, and to have to reformat and restore.

Also, to restore, I format the card from my PC using FAT (FAT32 does not appear to work for the Treo - found this out from another forum).

Would like to hear other similar situations.

Thanks.

Larry
    Rochelle Park, NJ
    Treo650 - Sprint
    beaglehound66-treocentral@yahoo.com
    been using a Ridata pro 150x 2gb for 2 months now - no issues, we will see.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I've been using a 2GB Ultra II for a couple of months without a problem. My previous card was a 1GB Ultra II and the only difference, other than size, is the 2GB seems a bit slower when creating a backup with BackupMan, otherwise it has worked without a problem.

When I got the 2GB I just did a copy/paste on my PC between the 1GB and 2GB. I had to create the shortcuts to PowerRun items on the card and that was it.

Good luck with your card.
    This is basically a useless post (mine specifically, not the thread), but I am angered and frustrated that I cannot use a 4 GB card in this thing. That would have truly made it awesome for MP3 storage.

I guess I'll just buy several 2 GB cards and then get one of those storage wallets.

-Nick.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonecool
    I use the Transcend 2GB (150x) 2GB SD card and it works just fine. I've had it about 2 months now with no issues.
    So do I. I've had mine for over four months with no problems.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
  12.    #12  
    That's funny... oh first, I want to Thank everyone up front, it's been great advice and when the card comes, I'll let you all know my experience, hopefully it will be a boring one.

It's funny, you state (Larry) that you try not to pull the card out of the slot when ever you can.

For me with the 1 Gb, I've been yanking that thing out and throwing it in a card reader regularly. It's just too slow to do things any other way. I don't have a copy of this Softic Card Export program.

My question to you Larry is why you haven't tried bringing your phone and getting it swapped out (as long as it's still under warranty? (I do realize that you have to prove to the phone company that the Treo is broken, but it's worth the try).

I'm on my 4th Treo 650, the mic had broken, the headphone jack broke, etc. But at least I'm with a replacement unit. You SD slot could have a bad solder joint and your getting an intermittent connection. Cold solder joints are a common problem. And yes take out the card and putting it back in mulitiple times can lead to such a problem especially if it was a bad solder joint to begin with.

If you still have these problem, and your phone is still under warranty, try getting it replaced, tell them your card is not holding in the slot or anything that gets them to replace it.

Robert
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I use a Cosair 133x 2gb SD card. I use it with my Treo + Pocket Tunes...works great! Almost like having an ipod nano (with OGG format music at 64kbps which sounds great and gives u a psuedo-4gb of storage with OGG's high compression ratio) since it's solid state memory.

Now if only I can find a USB 2.0 card reader that not only reads 2gb or higher SD cards, but can also read 4gb Micro Drive/CF cards, and 2gb/4gb Memory Sticks
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."
    Never got into .ogg's - how do they compare to .mp3's?
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    Never got into .ogg's - how do they compare to .mp3's?
    I convert 192kbs/128kbps MP3's (using a program called MP3 WAV WMA OGG Converter - converts between these formats) into 64kbps OGG files and I really don't hear any difference.
    "Living is the only thing worth dying for."

My question:

I have this very card, no problems. suggestion: don't format before you use it, it will likely work just fine out of the box as mine did.
    That's funny... oh first, I want to Thank everyone up front, it's been great advice and when the card comes, I'll let you all know my experience, hopefully it will be a boring one.

It's funny, you state (Larry) that you try not to pull the card out of the slot when ever you can.

For me with the 1 Gb, I've been yanking that thing out and throwing it in a card reader regularly. It's just too slow to do things any other way. I don't have a copy of this Softic Card Export program.

My question to you Larry is why you haven't tried bringing your phone and getting it swapped out (as long as it's still under warranty? (I do realize that you have to prove to the phone company that the Treo is broken, but it's worth the try).

I'm on my 4th Treo 650, the mic had broken, the headphone jack broke, etc. But at least I'm with a replacement unit. You SD slot could have a bad solder joint and your getting an intermittent connection. Cold solder joints are a common problem. And yes take out the card and putting it back in mulitiple times can lead to such a problem especially if it was a bad solder joint to begin with.

If you still have these problem, and your phone is still under warranty, try getting it replaced, tell them your card is not holding in the slot or anything that gets them to replace it.

Robert
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the advice. If I continue to have card failures, I will consider your advice and request a replacement. My only issue is that a replacement will be used and refurbished, and be of lesser quality than my unit. I've taken the utmost care of my unit, and it looks out-of-the-box new.
    Also, I'm still not convinced that this is not a software issue. At one time, I was able to identify some corrupt files (converted from PDF), that when removed, restored functionality to my card. As I said, my latest crash happened just after installing Chattermail, and having the messages write directly to the card. I wish there some kind of SD card "contact tester" to test for the error that you're describing on the Treo.

Larry.
  18.    #18  
    Larry,

A quick note back, the Treo 650's that I've had replaced come nice and shiny.

There are no scratches on the unit and doesn't even look like they were ever used.

I'm not so sure if they really refurbish them, there is not too much they can fix, I actually think you at least get new is the plastic the guts come in.

They even come with the original plastic cover protecting the screen and of all the Treo's replace, never did one have a scratch on the screen.

All replacement came looking at if they've never been used.

Again, I have a feeling that these most times are new units. It probably is not cost effective to had the things repaired. Think of the man power and time to do that kind of work.

Maybe someone from a cell company can tell us if you are getting refurbished units or not.

I actually felt the same way too, but after what I saw what was sent back to me I didn't care anymore. Actually, mine was broken and was unusable so I had no choice anyway.

But I know how you feel.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

19.    #19  
    Just an update to anyone interested.

I finally got the SD card the Ultra II 2.0 GB version.

It worked as everyone said it would. I was able to format it in the Treo (even though someone said not to do that).

I did encounter one problem however!

It seems that my card reader which is built into my Epson CX660 all in one printer does not support any high speed card and nothing over 1 GB. This was confirmed with Epson.

So much for investing in Epson.

Fortunately, I had another card read which does read the high speed and the 2.0 GB card no problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Robert
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I installed FAT32 into rom and bought a 4gb adata 150x card.

Pocket tunes will search and find songs, and play a single song selected.

The problem comes when I attempt to make a playlist. I can select all the songs I want, but when I go back to look at the playlist it is blank.

An older playlist works fine... wth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast