1.    #1  
    Just got a Land Rover LR3 and I can NOT get it to recognize my Treo650 ... pairs up instantly ... but the phone is not recognized. The dealership has told me they have seen this problem before. My wife's Razor works perfectly.

The only thing that works is outbound calling, the car acts like a bluetooth headset ... ie I dial from the T650 and I can then use the car for talking, but I can not control the dialing, inbound calls, intergrating with the GPS for the phone etc.

I assume my options are praying the Palm comes out with another upgrade (which I doubt since the 700's are around the corner) ... or buy a second phone just for bluetooth integration in the car, which I wouldn't mind, unfortunately on Sprint can't have two phones with one number <grrr>

Any other known work arounds to this type of problem?

David
    I would install a bluetooth hardwired carkit that is compatible with your treo650 such as the parrot ck-3100 or the new 3200ls color screen. Should also work great with the razor phone as well.

check them out at http://www.parrot.biz/
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    I would install a bluetooth hardwired carkit that is compatible with your treo650 such as the parrot ck-3100 or the new 3200ls color screen. Should also work great with the razor phone as well.

check them out at http://www.parrot.biz/
    I guess I don't understand how that helps me interface to my current system. The LR3 system has full intergration with the Bluetooth phone, I don't want to spend money on a secondary system that doesn't integrate with the first.
    ok maybe this will help better.
    first things first. exhaust all of your options trying to get your land rover to work with your treo. that means posting questions here and that also means posting questions in a land rover LR3 specific forum. google for one I would be very suprised if they didn't exist.

Then you need to make sure you have all of your firmware updates on the treo and if there are any bluetooth firmware updates for your landrover bluetooth that can be updated at your landrover dealer.

if you still can't get them to work, then have one of the above parrot kits installed that I recommended. the parrot kits "integrate" with any vehicle. they will mute your stereo and play the phone conversation over your stereo loudspeakers. they have voice control and voice dialing, you can import your phonebook, etc.

it probably has more features than the integrated BT in your landrover.

bluetooth compatibility is not universal. it is confusing and can be very, very disappointing (as you are finding out)

spend some time searching through the bluetooth forum, maybe it will yield some answers.
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    ok maybe this will help better.
    first things first. exhaust all of your options trying to get your land rover to work with your treo. that means posting questions here and that also means posting questions in a land rover LR3 specific forum. google for one I would be very suprised if they didn't exist.

Then you need to make sure you have all of your firmware updates on the treo and if there are any bluetooth firmware updates for your landrover bluetooth that can be updated at your landrover dealer.
    My Treo has the latest firmware and the LR is a 2006 model, just arrived from England about 30 days ago. I have spent a few hours reading both LR3 forums, and the Palm website, and this seems to be a problem going back to April 2005 that neither Palm or LR have addressed.

it probably has more features than the integrated BT in your landrover.
    Actual, probably not, since the BT also intergrates with the GPS Point of Interest database, so if you pull up a restraurant for example, the phone number will be there, which you can then use the BT to call through your phone. It is very full featured, with the right phone <sigh>
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i'm a jaguar shop foreman at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer and i have a sprint treo 650....i'm going to talk to our land rover shop foreman and see what he says.....jaguar and rover have built an alliance with nokia phones and alot of the LR3 functions are built around a few particular nokia phones....i'll try to keep you posted
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Now I "really" love my LR3.

I experienced the same problems trying to get my Treo 650 to work with the LR3 the way bluetooth was intended.

Here is what worked for me. It is a two step solution that may not cost you a dime. Why this works is unclear to me but I have my hunches.

First, Go to the official palm website and check for a firmware upgrade for your phone. Make sure you pick your phone carriers version. My carrier happened to be Rogers Wireless. Follow the instructions and could take about 30 minutes to do. It requires backing up your phone via hot sync, going throught the firmware upgrade and then hot synching back all your data.

Second, and this one is the kicker that I am not to sure is required. My phone "out of the box" did not have any voice activation software installed. So I downloaded and installed the trial version of VoiceDialit. Free for 10 days. I installed and configured it as per the instructions. My Treo Preferences Bluetooth Discoverable is set to Yes.

Reentered my 2006 LR3 and voila, everything started to work.

My hunch is that part of the VoiceDialit program may "assist" in the bluetooth connectivity in some way. My free trial period has not expired yet and so I am waiting to see what happens when the program stops working. I will follow up with a post to this thread.

I am hoping that when VoiceDialit stops working, the main features of the program will stop, but the bluetooth connectivity feature may continue to work.

By the way, I was just kidding about "really" loving my LR3. I always did. But now that the honeymoon is over, this keeps me coming back.
    Update on the second step of the cheap solution:

My trial period expired on the weekend for VoiceDialit and I am sad to report that this program is necessary. Once the program's trial version expired, my problems all came back. I quickly dished out my credit card and bought the program and entered the registration key. Voila, the Treo 650 and the LR3 started to work in perfect BT harmony.

Conclusion:
    The solution is cheap but will cost you about $US 25.00. I think its worth it. The bonus is that you now also have a way to dial by voice activation when you are away from your LR3.

PS.

If you are dead set against paying anything at all, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling VoiceDialit every 10 days when the trial version expires. I haven't tested this but it might "fake" the palm out into giving you a fresh new 10 day trial period. Then you could continue without paying anything. But is it really worth the hassle? You be the judge.

Hope this helps someone.
  9. LR3
    I appreciated reading everyone's comments and decided to try the Treo 700 even though there is no information on whether it is compatible or not.

Although initial pairing did not work, after I did the Treo 700 Updater (on the palm web site), it did work perfectly! All functionality is intact--I can dial from the keypad in the car, the number of incoming calls shows correctly, and I can dial from the Treo contacts list.

Thank you Eimbrogno--I would not have thought of trying the update on my own.
    Does anyone know if the 700 p Treo is compatible with the LR3? I have a 650 and nothing has worked. I even tried the "voiceit' solution and had no luck. I am thinking of trading to a 700p since I hear that the 700w may be compaitible.