1.    #1  
    Ok I have read some of the older threads on Webviewer and installing the Java VM but the info is all over the place with 3 different versions of IBM's websphere, one even require you to sign on as a developer to get the right version. I tried the one on Palm's website but after installing it doesn't even create a icon.

So can someone please explain to us late comers the procedure to installing Webviewer and Java VM onto my 650. ( I already have the Webviewer app on my desktop which of course is in JAD format) ??? I believe the JAD file has to go on my SD card.

Or if someone lives in NYC who would like to come over and install it for me. I NEED HTML .

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Ok am trying to help my own cause here, I got the IBM java installed icon and all. Now am left with a webviewer JAD and JAR file which will not go onto the card, it says there is no app to support these files.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 12/30/2005 at 11:18 PM.
    Did you try installing Webviewer to RAM?
    Webviewer needs to reside in RAM. But they are not registering new signups.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Although I am a total fan of WebViewer and EmailViewer for MIDP use -- I originally cam across them and used them on a Nokia 6820 -- I have discontinued by use of them for the Treo. Blazer has done allright for me, and Xiino promises good things. I hear that Opera has been ported too.. but, again, only to be used with a JVM.

Instead of EmailViewer, I have taken to using ChatterEmail.

One of the biggest challenges for Java applications is that the JVM is completely incapable of keeping persistent storage on the device. That is, the JVM can't write to DB files or the SD card. Major limitation in my book. If this has been addressed in later JVM releases, I'd love to hear about it. But, for now, Java's usefulness on the Treo seems awfully limited.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Webviewer needs to reside in RAM. But they are not registering new signups.
    I am a existing customer from my cell phone days and permitted to download a version, problem is it's the wrong version, come to find out there is an actually for PALM version which would come in PRC. format and then would install to my RAM.

I e-mailed them to see if I could get the Palm version, we will see. I tried XIINO and it was extremely buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    ... come to find out there is an actually for PALM version which would come in PRC. format and then would install to my RAM. I e-mailed them to see if I could get the Palm version, we will see. I tried XIINO and it was extremely buggy.
    I still have .prc's for the 4.0 release (April 2005) of both products, if you'd like to try those. I didn't keep track to know if they had subsequent releases.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I still have .prc's for the 4.0 release (April 2005) of both products, if you'd like to try those. I didn't keep track to know if they had subsequent releases.

That would be great, I have a NEW product key # that I got in the exchange program they have. So it should work.
    Earlier someone posted that one could not buy Webviewer anymore.

Reqwireless Value Bundle from Handango:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=60602

Did any one buy this and get it to work?
    Just call me Berd.
    There is a trial. Going to give it a shot now.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  11.    #11  
    Well as I type this in webviewer all I can say is thank you to Taroliw for all his help in getting this going for me. He is a real assest to TC.

One of the problems was if you had a previous version of webviewer other then the PALM version it will not work and neither will the product code. I don't believe webviewer is available to new customers, that bundle above is not available either.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/01/2006 at 09:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I just found a registration number for webviewer but I can't find the file anywhere on my system is there anyway to get an update version, or at least the last version that was released?
    Not sure where this conclusion comes from, but Java can happily write on persistent storage and can access Treo SD card for read and write (e.g. KMaps does both)

Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    One of the biggest challenges for Java applications is that the JVM is completely incapable of keeping persistent storage on the device. That is, the JVM can't write to DB files or the SD card. Major limitation in my book. If this has been addressed in later JVM releases, I'd love to hear about it. But, for now, Java's usefulness on the Treo seems awfully limited.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I just found a registration number for webviewer but I can't find the file anywhere on my system is there anyway to get an update version, or at least the last version that was released?

Send me your e-mail addy I will send you the file.