1.    #1  
    I received one of these noise cancelling microphones for
    Christmas and I am VERY impressed. It eliminates all background noise and even works in my convertible with the top down! Check it out...

www.theboom.com
    I am tempted to go back to a wired solution, bluetooth is not stable enough for me yet.My treo headset is so damn staticy!!
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    They are impressive. I just got one a week ago and am blown away by the quality. You can literally stand in fron of a blasting stereo (or in a noisy airport) and the person on the other end has no idea of the ambient noise. Amazing...
    I bought one, maybe three years ago. They had just come out I think.

The fit on my ear was terrible. It wouldn't stay on securely. When I called in to return it the rep. told me it seemed to be a common problem. It either fit people well or not.

How is the fit on your ear now? It looks like they may have changed the design.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Will they ever comeout with a BlueTooth version ?? If they did they would sell a ton !!!! God Bless.
    maybe in February was a rumour circulating a few months back
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une ťmission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Not sure if the earpiece design is different, but when I received mine a few weeks ago, they did include a note saying that they were designing a new earpiece and would send it soon to anyone who had bought the new gen Boom.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Not sure if the earpiece design is different, but when I received mine a few weeks ago, they did include a note saying that they were designing a new earpiece and would send it soon to anyone who had bought the new gen Boom.
    So how well does the current design stay securely on you ear?
    I got theboom after a VERY long wait. Here is my quick review of the product as opposed to their ability to meet delivery promises:

Outgoing Sound Quality (mic): Excellent. Best of any device I've tried. This is my number one concern. I'm in the car a lot and want to have business discussions without the people I'm talking to knowing that I'm in the car. Works beautifully.

Incoming Sound Quality (speaker): Excellent. The device uses a funnel that goes in the ear to put the sound near the eardrum and help block out external sound. I generally have to turn the volume down on either the phone or with the volume control attached to the wire of the headset.

Ear Comfort: Good, a little loose but be warned. This is highly subjective and I believe has more to do with the size and shape of an individual's ear than anything else. My ears are larger than my wife's ears (I believe there is a large body of scientific evidence that suggests a direct correlation between the size of one's ears and intelligence, but donít tell her that). Any headset I've found comfortable she has found uncomfortable and vice-versa. Theboom uses a bendable soft rubber attachment to go behind the ear. I have no difficulty putting it on and squeezing it into position around my ear. So comfortable that Iíve even forgotten Iíve had it on. Theboom is a little loose but it doesnít bother me. The mic is on a boom that can be bent into a position near your mouth for optimal performance. The earpiece fits comfortably in my ear. My wife doesnít like the fit or earpiece it at all (but than again, she fell in love with me so clearly her judgment can be called into question).

[B]Wired vs. Bluetooth[B/]: Theboom is expensive, even for those of us who got it for $100 for preordering it. That said, I spent hundreds on my Treo and I spend over $100/month for voice and data service. Iím on the phone for over 2000 minutes per month. Whatís the point of that if I canít hear clearly and be heard clearly? Bluetooth may be a cool technology but I find it frustrating. Most of the people I have trouble hearing are using Bluetooth headsets, regardless of what type of phone theyíre using.

The best analogy I can think of is a home stereo system. No matter how good the equipment is and how perfect the recording is, if your speakers are bad, the music will sound bad.

Cell phones are about communicating with people. Hearing and being heard are the primary consideration.

I hope this helps.
    I can't believe I just spent $150 on a headset!
    I phoned customer service, and was told that a new shipment had just come in, and they were filling all of the back orders with today's shipment. The guy said that if I ordered one now, it would probably be a couple of weeks before it shipped.

I ordered one today, and I received an email a few hours later which said mine shipped today via UPS. Fast!

I hope it works as well as some others have said. I spend a lot of time on the phone while driving (lots of noise when driving 75 mph), and also a lot of time in my home office. At home, my children are sometimes practicing the piano, the violin, chasing the dog, or getting upset with one thing or another. It is hard to make work calls when the family is noisy.

I look forward to trying it out.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    2 days and theboom mic was just delivered by UPS. (Since when do they deliver at 6:30 p.m. anyway? I'm happy though)

My initial impressions after testing it out for 10 minutes?

1. Putting it on the ear - took me a couple of tries to get it comfortable. Hopefully it will be easier next time.

2. Sound quality - incoming: Fine so far. Outgoing: no opinion yet - I have only talked to my answering machine.

3. Noice cancellation: WOW!!!!! I'm sitting in front of my computer and turn up the music from my computer speakers to about 70-percent - quite loud. I then call my home phone from my Treo sitting in front of the speakers and leave a message. I can't hear the loud music at all! I can only hear my voice, which sounds completely normal. Then I whisper a few sentences into theboom. The music is so loud, I can't hardly hear my own whispering. When I check my message - I can hear my whispering fine - and no music. Very, very cool.

Conclusion after 10 minutes of use: This headset is incredible. I am going to love it in the car and making work calls around the family.

I'll report back after more extensive testing.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    2 days and theboom mic was just delivered by UPS. (Since when do they deliver at 6:30 p.m. anyway? I'm happy though)

My initial impressions after testing it out for 10 minutes?

1. Putting it on the ear - took me a couple of tries to get it comfortable. Hopefully it will be easier next time.

2. Sound quality - incoming: Fine so far. Outgoing: no opinion yet - I have only talked to my answering machine.

3. Noice cancellation: WOW!!!!! I'm sitting in front of my computer and turn up the music from my computer speakers to about 70-percent - quite loud. I then call my home phone from my Treo sitting in front of the speakers and leave a message. I can't hear the loud music at all! I can only hear my voice, which sounds completely normal. Then I whisper a few sentences into theboom. The music is so loud, I can't hardly hear my own whispering. When I check my message - I can hear my whispering fine - and no music. Very, very cool.

Conclusion after 10 minutes of use: This headset is incredible. I am going to love it in the car and making work calls around the family.

I'll report back after more extensive testing.

Any latest updates? I see where it is $30 cheaper
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I just became aware of theBoom this week after reading Harv's review. After a search, everyone's collective experience convinced me to take the plunge. I should get it tomorrow and am looking forward to using it. My office phone also rings on my Treo, but background noise was always a big givaway. I can't tell you how often a conference call gets scheduled while I need to be driving. I'm surprised more TC members don't use this headset.

BTW, they just had a "Fathers Day Sale," which is over now, but theBoom was $50 off. The rep said they only do this maybe once a year.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    I saw the review of theBoom headsets and saw some of the linked threads, and last week went ahead and ordered one.

It came yesterday, and I tried it out today. My first impressions:

It *does* sound great to the people I called, even in my old van with tons of road noise and the A/C full blast.

For a $150 headset, it came with not a *spec* of documentation, no diagram, anything. I kept pressing the inline button to answer incoming calls, nothing happened. I thought maybe it was defective, till I went searching past threads/reviews and their website, and realized the inline button is a *mute* button.

So a $150 hands-free headset has no Answer/End call button? I have to dig my phone out of my pocket and look at the buttons to place a call or answer??? Even the cheapie headset included with my Treo 700p includes an Answer/End Call button!

I love the sound quality, but I'm not sure I can actually use the headset while driving! Has anyone figured out a way to make the *mute* button behave as a Call button? Surely they wouldn't overlook that capability?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodloos
    I saw the review of theBoom headsets and saw some of the linked threads, and last week went ahead and ordered one.

It came yesterday, and I tried it out today. My first impressions:

It *does* sound great to the people I called, even in my old van with tons of road noise and the A/C full blast.

For a $150 headset, it came with not a *spec* of documentation, no diagram, anything. I kept pressing the inline button to answer incoming calls, nothing happened. I thought maybe it was defective, till I went searching past threads/reviews and their website, and realized the inline button is a *mute* button.

So a $150 hands-free headset has no Answer/End call button? I have to dig my phone out of my pocket and look at the buttons to place a call or answer??? Even the cheapie headset included with my Treo 700p includes an Answer/End Call button!

I love the sound quality, but I'm not sure I can actually use the headset while driving! Has anyone figured out a way to make the *mute* button behave as a Call button? Surely they wouldn't overlook that capability?
    Hi

I wrote TC's reviews of all three theBoom models. No, they do not control the Treo to answer or end calls. The mute button is simply that. Press to mute your voice, (like if you have to cough or sneeze or say something tothe person next to you that you don't want the person on the call to hear..) .. let go to un-mute. That's all it does and that's all it's meant to do.

The UmeVoice headsets are about nearly 100% noise reduction using a dual-mic array and wave-shaping technology. Put one on and imagine you're sitting in a 360 degree sphere or bubble. All sound coming from outside that bubble cancels itself out while the mic and that little "paddle" shaped piece behind it picks up only your voice.

Get in your car, put on theBoom, crank up your stereo, turn onyour a/c full blast, roll down the windows and call your home phone (assuming you have an answering machine), position the mic about an inch from the left (or right) corner of your mouth (like Jane is shown wearing them in the pictures).. and WHISPER into it. Then unplug theBoom and make another call to your answering machine under the same conditions, stereo blasting, a/c fan blowing as high as it'll go. Use ANY other headset you own, or hold the Treo up to your face or use its speakerphone.

When you get home, listen to the two messages. It's hard to describe just how awesome the noise cancellation is until you actually hear the "other side" of the call - what other people hear (or don't hear) when you call them. This is an easy way to prove it to yourself.

There are no other headsets on the market that I know of that have the level of noise cancellation that theBooms have. But no, sorry, they don't control the Treo; they're not designed to answer or hang up.

The price reflects years of engineering and development costs and VERY high quality materials and construction. I tried very hard in my reviews to give an honest appraisal of these headsets. Perhaps I should have mentioned that they don't actually control call functions. To be honest, it didn't even occur to me, and if you felt otherwise, I apologize for the omission. But I did NOT sit down to purposely mislead anyone about their purpose and functions.

Everyone I know who has tried them or own them is simply blown away by what they do. Perhaps you might want to write to UmeVoice and suggest they think about adding call answer/end functions to them. I agree it would be a useful feature but I don't know what kind of engineering it would require.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Harv,

Thanks for your comments. Now I just have to justify spending all that money on a headset. Well, plus I have to lose my Scala 500 and Treo Wireless Headset so I can justify buying a new one.
    Harv,

Thanks for your reply. I found your reviews very helpful, and I agree the sound quality is great. I had just *assumed* (there's that dangerous word) they included a Call/End button. Now I just have to figure out if I can maybe mount my treo in the car somewhere that I can easily hit the buttons without having to pull it out of my pocket.

The Treo's Prefs app has a setting for auto-answer on bluetooth headsets, but that is *only* for bluetooth, right?

I've never really been fond of phone conversations, seems like between the other person not hearing me, and my poor hearing, there was always a lot of "huh?" "what?" in a conversation, and I hope this headset will help alleviate that. (I'd hear even better with their theBoom Quiet model, which covers both ears, but I think most states disapprove of driving that way oh well)

At least I now know that my unit isn't defective and I'll probably keep it, even though I do already have a Scala bluetooth headset also, as well as several other inexpensive wired headsets. It is nice to know those on the other end of the line will be able to hear me fine.

Rodney
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodloos
    Harv,

Thanks for your reply. I found your reviews very helpful, and I agree the sound quality is great. I had just *assumed* (there's that dangerous word) they included a Call/End button. Now I just have to figure out if I can maybe mount my treo in the car somewhere that I can easily hit the buttons without having to pull it out of my pocket.
    I'd recommend one of the Arkon brand windshield suction cup car mounts. Check in TC's store. There are a ton of different kinds of mounts, but Arkon makes a nice one with two quick release fingers or clamps on the sides and bottom and ALL it does is hold the Treo so it's inexpensive. No power connection, no GPS, no dog and pony show, and you can put a Treo in it without taking the phone out of its case, suction cup it to your windshield, swivel it at you and then plug your theBoom into the audio port.

The Treo's Prefs app has a setting for auto-answer on bluetooth headsets, but that is *only* for bluetooth, right?
    Yeah, as far as I know.

I've never really been fond of phone conversations, seems like between the other person not hearing me, and my poor hearing, there was always a lot of "huh?" "what?" in a conversation, and I hope this headset will help alleviate that. (I'd hear even better with their theBoom Quiet model, which covers both ears, but I think most states disapprove of driving that way oh well)
    Full over-the-ear (circum-aural) headphones like the Quiets are not legal to wear when driving, probably in every state. But you can use them when parked or passenger can use them. You'll notice the Quiet's mic doesn't have the foam windscreen while the other two single-ear models do. Because the Quiets aren't really meant to be used while driving or standing outside in a wind. They're meant to be used in non-driving situations like sitting in a plane or passenger in a car or in front of a laptop used as stereo headphones or SKYPE calls or indoors, so UmeVoice doesn't put the foam windscreen on theBoom mic in that model - the little boom just plugs into and pops out of a port in the left earcup so the Quiets can be used with or without the mic, plus they have battery-powered Active Noise Reduction so they're targeted at a different purpose. Pretty damn good headphones too.

At least I now know that my unit isn't defective and I'll probably keep it, even though I do already have a Scala bluetooth headset also, as well as several other inexpensive wired headsets. It is nice to know those on the other end of the line will be able to hear me fine.

Rodney
    When I first got all three models for review, I didn't know how the mute button worked either. I thought it was press on / press off. I didn't realize it was PRESS AND HOLD to mute and LET GO to unmute. You're right - there should be some instructions in the box. The Quiets come with a nice little booklet full of instructions and photographs - you can grab it as a .pdf file on UmeVoice's site.

Anyway, I think I've pretty much exhausted everything there is to say about these things ..

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Harv,

Thanks for your comments. Now I just have to justify spending all that money on a headset. Well, plus I have to lose my Scala 500 and Treo Wireless Headset so I can justify buying a new one.
    You can save fifty bucks by going with theBoom "O" model. See my review. The mic functions identically to the ear gel model and I find the "O" more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. The headband is very low profile so unless you have huge hair you can actually put it on and wear a cap over it and the padded earpiece is very comfy with nothing sticking IN your ear. Some people are touchier or irritated by ear gels, and the "O" doesn't use one. You can also swivel up the mic's boom to get it out of the way if you want to eat or drink while wearing it so you don't have to take it off. Really a nice piece of gear, well thought-out ergonomics.

The funny thing about the "O" is that to people who don't know what it does, it looks old tech. With Bluetooth all the rage. But with its noise cancellation it's actually higher tech, in a way, than Bluetooth, plus, no batteries, no charging, no power drain. The ONLY downside is the very long thin wire but like I wrote, you can always bundle the excess with a twisty-tie to shorten it if it bothers you. You can also listen to MP3s or SprintTV audio or whatever with it plugged in, although it'll be mono in one ear, so we're not talking audiophile here.

People look at these things and many don't grasp why they're expensive compared to cheapie wired headsets. Once they've heard what they do, and see the quality of construction, then their lightbulb goes on.

I've gotta tell ya, I've been writing reviews for 20 years and these things are one of the most astounding accessories I've ever used. No, I'm not on UmeVoice's payroll. But when a product actually delivers what it promises, it deserves praise. So few do. These do.

Harv
    Mine worked OK for about 8 months. Then it stopped working in any phone - tried four. It appeared to be a cabling issue, twisting it around in the hole would give a second of audio or so, but then it would drop out.

Sent it in for repair under warranty - returned with no improvement.

I'll post my results as I learn them. Audio quality is pretty good, but if it don't work...it don't work. In retrospect, not worth $150 + tsuris.